A puzzle for you to solve if you can! - Page 8
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: A puzzle for you to solve if you can!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
    It CAN'T be the moment of ignition, as there is no fireball to be seen at the moment of ignition. The fireball and pressure exist behind the projectile. Until the projectile leaves the barrel, you see nothing. The picture shows some point in time well after ignition and bullet having left the firearm such that the remaining powder can completely burn once mixed with more oxygen outside the firearm.
    Absolutely correct. . . it is after bullet left muzzle. My "moment" comment was not precisely exact. It is the moment after bullet exit. My apologies for sloppy explanation!
    HK is the way!

FS1
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WellWellWell View Post
    The chamber is not perfectly sealed, combustion gases escape and funnel through the firing pin tunnel which is extremely tight space… thereby increasing pressure even higher and forcing firing pin and hammer rearward… FPB safety is not engaged to stop travel.
    Basic physics says the pressure will decrease through that orifice and velocity would increase.

Quote Originally Posted by trenace View Post
    A pro photographer may not be familiar with actual high speed photography on firearms as they are being fired, and may not be aware that the firearm remains quite still for a significant fraction of a second before ignition to the appearance of a fireball.

If that shot is at dusk the light being low would cause a very slow shutter speed. Also would require a very big aputure setting (wide open lens). This would show motion as well as a blurred background (low depth of field). That is how film worked not sure if Digital is different. Using a flash would change everything a strobe freezes action. When I was into photography a strobe would capture at 1/10,000th second. Maybe better now. So I doubt it is a Photo anomaly. JMHO
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal that made good under pressure!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

...that's why I asked if he had the exif data to the photo: then we would have exposure, aperture/f-stop and other data defining the photo and wouldn't have to speculate about what-was-recorded-when-for-how-long.
    My guess still: picture taken some milliseconds after ignition, projectile left the barrel, unburnt powder still not completely ignited by surrounding oxygen In the air, slide barely started to move backwards, muzzle hasn't even started to climb.
    So much for the circumstances.
    If ot is not a (sort of) double exposure (maybe just a bigger part of the exposure time with hammer back and a relatively short time after ignition) - and the lack of blur at the hammer and trigger finger seems to negate that - tjen something kicked the hammer back, IMHO.
    Be it hammer bounce (someone know if this was a thing with 'early' USPs?), or the firing pin rebounding unter spring or gas pressure, kicking the hammer. ack (which - for some un known to me reason - isn't under full tension from the hammer strut/hammer spring.
    jm2ct.

And know: orfeo, tell us, before we all go BONKERS

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FS1 View Post
    If that shot is at dusk the light being low would cause a very slow shutter speed. Also would require a very big aputure setting (wide open lens). This would show motion as well as a blurred background (low depth of field). That is how film worked not sure if Digital is different. Using a flash would change everything a strobe freezes action. When I was into photography a strobe would capture at 1/10,000th second.
    If there was a strobe the OP never mentioned it.

Looking at the background, I'm seeing the camera struggling, so to speak. Camera operating as slow as it "thought" suitable makes perfect sense and matches the picture. Don't personally agree on how there should be blur on longer exposure. I've taken a ton of 1/30th second no-blur pictures. I hold firearms still as I'm firing them, so I'd expect them not to blur either through say the first .029 seconds of a .030 second exposure.. and that last .001 second is too little of the total to change things much in a fairly low res pic!

Quote Originally Posted by 3two8 View Post
    ...that's why I asked if he had the exif data to the photo: then we would have exposure, aperture/f-stop and other data defining the photo and wouldn't have to speculate about what-was-recorded-when-for-how-long.
    Agree completely... no facts on photo exposure time, no evidence to support unusual mechanical operation.

And know: orfeo, tell us, before we all go BONKERS
    Also agree completely. More than time to hear OP's theory, the evidence for it, and the evidence against other theories including normal operation.
    Last edited by trenace; 01-19-2017 at 05:42 PM.

FS1
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trenace View Post
    If there was a strobe the OP never mentioned it.

Looking at the background, I'm seeing the camera struggling, so to speak. Camera operating as slow as it "thought" suitable makes perfect sense and matches the picture. Don't personally agree on how there should be blur on longer exposure. I've taken a ton of 1/30th second no-blur pictures,. I hold firearms still as I'm firing them, so I'd expect them not to blur either through say the first .0299 seconds of a .0300 second exposure.. and that last .0001 second is too little of the total to change things much!
    The hands look way too bright to me to not have additional light source with the background so dim. So Orfeo strobe or no strobe?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yup I also found the hands and background a mismatch, suggesting some local source of brightness, but (subjectively) didn't look like flash to me, for example usually flash has some reach to it and the background seems fairly close yet shows no sign of flash, good question for sure.

Though in and of itself, if we don't know exposure time, even with flash it could be that in the brief period of flash, the hammer was back, and the exposure continued until the fireball formed. If no solid evidence on exposure time, then no evidence that anything unusual happened mechanically.
    Last edited by trenace; 01-19-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Fair questions all. . .

I don't recall whether the flash fired or not. The picture you see has been cropped. I believe the exif data can be extracted from the image file, but I don't know how and I don't have time to research it today. Maybe this evening I can try.

I hope my waiting to present my theory is not becoming annoying or burdensome. . . this thread is meant to be fun. Will definitely post it before the end of the day!

Again, you are all doing a really great job at untangling the mystery!

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
    Fair questions all. . .

I don't recall whether the flash fired or not. The picture you see has been cropped. I believe the exif data can be extracted from the image file, but I don't know how and I don't have time to research it today. Maybe this evening I can try.

I hope my waiting to present my theory is not becoming annoying or burdensome. . . this thread is meant to be fun. Will definitely post it before the end of the day!

Again, you are all doing a really great job at untangling the mystery!
    Whew--- I am curious though!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's because it's a LEM model.
    Simple as that!

Did I win?
    What did I win?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
    Look at this picture. I shot it about a decade ago of my wife shooting her Variant 1 USP Compact 9mm. The moment captured .......
    Quote Originally Posted by HK44 View Post
    It's because it's a LEM model.
    Simple as that!

Did I win?
    What did I win?
    Nope, utter fail! ;)

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links