P7 PSP first range trip
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P7 PSP first range trip

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default P7 PSP first range trip

So I bought a police issue PSP (18xxx) a month or so ago and have been fawning over it since then. Admiring the subtle plum hue of the slide, trying not to squeeze it too many time, etc. Yesterday I took it out to the range for the first time. I shot 100 rounds through it after warming up with my Ruger MkII.

It did not disappoint. The first thing I did notice was the stiff recoil and louder report. This surprised me especially after reading about how soft people usually find it. It actually tenderized the web of my hand pretty well by the end, to the point where I didn't find it much more comfortable to shoot than a .380 Bodyguard. I'm not sure if I need a new recoil spring? Also the web of my hand was black, perhaps from oil. I cleaned it with MPro7 about a week earlier. Also my first couple groups were absolutely abysmal. At 10 yards, with targets printed on standard printer paper, I missed the paper altogether a few times. This was pretty disappointing given all I had read, and I figured it was probably a problem on my end. So I mixed a couple snap caps in my mags (the best investment I've ever made - snap caps have improved my accuracy quite a bit) and found that I was pulling on the trigger too much and dropping shots. The P7 seems more sensitive to pulling, especially compared to my Sig P229 Combat, the only other 9mm I own. Perhaps the geometry/balance. Once I concentrated on not pulling on it, my groups got a lot better. Like a lot lot better. I went from missing the paper on a few shot to hitting mostly in the black and then to having nice, tight groups in only few mags. Even my rapid fire at 7 yards managed to land all serious shots on a smallish target. Scary accurate. And I feel that I've taken it's lessons to heart, so thanks HK.
    Also, I don't know where all this it's-to-hot business comes from. It maybe got a little warmer than usual, but nothing remotely uncomfortable.

Anyways, I like it and am looking forward to carrying it when the holster comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't be disappointed. They do take some getting used to. I have a few Ruger 22s & a full on steel challenge Ruger Mark clone. Volquartsen & tac solutions. Shoot your 22s last! Don't start off wth your target 22s. Everything after recoils more & the triggers suck.
    You have a P7. Take her out. Just the 2 of you. One on one time. Get to know her. Take your time.
    Your hands will get dirty & a little hot. It will all be worth it.
    HK4 9K/.22lr HH覧覧P9S Combat 9mm HI
    VP70Z HK覧覧覧-P9S Target 9mm IF
    P7M13 IK x2覧覧覧MARK23 KG
    P7 PSP KH覧覧覧誘SP45 Expert AE
    P7M8 AG覧覧覧末-USP45 Tactical AH
    USP40 Expert AI覧覧USP9 Expert BD
    VP9 BG覧覧覧覧蓬K45CT BH German
    VP9SK BI覧覧覧蘭AA89K-PDW

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)

Thanks for the excellent range report!!!

Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Definitely not disappointed, the groups I was getting after I got used to it were better than I had imagined. And the time that took for that to happen was surprisingly short.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Awesome and congrats!!!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

once you have shot a p7 series pistol it will ruin most other pistols...... just saying. thanks for the report always love hearing about someone else shooting a p7 for the first time.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Harsh recoil MIGHT indicate an out of spec/ worn piston.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Try replacing the main spring. You should be able to buy one for around $25. I would also recommend staying away from +P ammo and any ammo over 130 grains.

Maximum effort
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I wouldn't call the P7's recoil harsh, but it isn't exactly soft either. It has a snappiness that stood out to me the first time I fired one.

I've never had a problem with the heat issue either.
    Life is an endless series of trainwrecks with only brief commercial-like breaks of happiness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave24 View Post
    Harsh recoil MIGHT indicate an out of spec/ worn piston.
    It seems to be in pretty decent shape. Has some holster wear and wear on squeeze cocker. But if this is the case, what can I do about it? Besides the springs, what major parts can be replaced? I'm probably going to post pictures soon to ask for some tips on conditioning.

Also I will likely replace the main spring soon as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links