Cleaning SP5K
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning SP5K

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Cleaning SP5K

So the last 2 time I've cleaned my sp5k. I used a brass brush to scrub the inside of the upper receiver. This is probably a stupid question but is this bad? Or should I be using a stiff nylon brush instead? Also what about the bolt group? What type of brush is safe for that?
    Last edited by astrom00se; 05-01-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I've never used a brush on anything other than the chamber and chamber face... no need inside the receiver. All you'll do with a brass brush is eff up the finish. All I use on the receiver is a patch with some solvent on it, and then wipe dry.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

my experience, even suppressed matches brn2xl. A few large patches wet with solvent take care of the inside of the receiver.

Chamber/trunion/chamber face need a bit more work than that, but there are special brushes made for that job that make it a much easier task.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

this vid was made by bystok, who is a member here at hkpro . everybody has their own cleaning and lubing "recipes", never the less it's a great maintenance tutorial

https://youtu.be/etmYB1t0cdU
    Last edited by OlDirtyBastard; 05-01-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by astrom00se View Post
    I took these pics this morning before work but could you guys tell me if ya'll see anything abnormal? I'm mostly concerned about the chamber face. I saw a thread on here about a guy having corrosion on his chamber face and mine does look somewhat similar... Now I haven't had the time to clean it yet but I did wipe it down very well.

Attachment 109594Attachment 109602Attachment 109610Attachment 109618Attachment 109626

If it is corrosion that's kind of odd that this would happen on a newish gun with 700rounds throught it. What am I doing wrong? Am I not suppose to scrub that area with a brass brush?

That's not corrosion, it just built up carbon. You should purchase a chamber face brush to clean that area, it'll make your life a lot easier. https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/view...0&idcategory=0

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Could you list some special brushes that i'll need?
    flute brush
    https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/view...8&idcategory=0

chamber face brush
    https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/view...0&idcategory=0

low speed drill + flood solvent is a nice way to get the chamber/locking recesses cleaned, and all the crud flushed out.

I like a parts washer, or an ultrasonic tank too, but that's probably more equipment than you want to get into.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

please, don't use the brass brush inside the receiver any more, your making me cringe, just thinking about it.

Brass brushes for the barrel only (inside the barrel :)

for the receiver, follow what the very knowledgable people in the previous posts have posted for you.

patches, and if needed a children's ( extra soft toothbrush ) if needed for bolt, areas with carbon buildup.
    i use extra soft toothbrushes when i clean, they work very good, and will not scratch. patches/ and some elbow grease if needed.

no more sctatchy scratchy inside the receiver.
    FAMILY, faithfulness, compassion, honesty, empathy, trust, hockey, single malt Scotch 21+, Heavy Metal music, German, Irish, Belgian, English bier, what else is there...?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I bought this kit from E&L:

E&L Manufacturing e.Store - Cleaning Brushes

It was old school ordering... I think I filled out a form and emailed. Then followed up with a phone call.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I use good 'ol hopes #9 for my flood solvent. Its cheap, and I put it into a lab wash bottle, and I can direct a stream right where i want it while the drill spins the brush at low speed. I put the upper in a padded vice and let the solvent run into a catch bucket.

a large ultrasonic tank that willl take a whole upper is in the 1-2K range, and holds 3-5+ gallons of solvent. If I was starting out my next step from manual cleaning would be a parts washer, not an ultrasonic setup.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Should I be concerned about the ammonia content in hopes #9? I'm guessing it should be fine considering so many people use this stuff to clean their guns but this is one thing that always bothered me about using hopes.

Yikes, that's much more than I expected. I might be sticking with the 'ol manual cleaning method then. What parts washers have you been looking at?

M-Pro7 gun cleaner. - gallon bottle amazon, 66 bucks no smell, may have to leave on another 8 minutes, but it works GREAT, and barely any smell, non toxic, safe for polymer, etc etc etc.

Archoil CLP
    Archoil LP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links