Effective use of safety on USP full size - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Effective use of safety on USP full size

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
    Safety off > fire > safety on > decock.
    The only issue with this sequence is that once the safety is on, you cannot decock the hammer. The proper way to do it is decock, then flip the safety on.

Try it.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Hmmm... Will do, on both my P30SKS/P30S. I thought I checked that sequence: Safety On > Decock (unless it's different on the USP).

Googled... Ah, the USP sports a different safety/decocker.
    Last edited by GasGuzz; 07-07-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, on the USP, decocking necessarily involves taking off the safety. Interesting design choice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSD View Post
    Yes, on the USP, decocking necessarily involves taking off the safety. Interesting design choice.
    Not really. Some would argue that a safety on with DA is excessive and unnecessary; thus, with a V1, USP, it's quite likely for folks to carry DA with safety off, or SA with safety on, though both are less than ideal than the purpose-built variants for such modes.
    Hidden Content

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得 箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting. I'd think carrying SA (cocked) with safety on would be a little risky, given that the safety could accidentally get flipped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Not really. Some would argue that a safety on with DA is excessive and unnecessary; thus, with a V1, USP, it's quite likely for folks to carry DA with safety off, or SA with safety on, though both are less than ideal than the purpose-built variants for such modes.
    I agree with this. While V1 USP may not have the greatest SA trigger pull and some people may not like the safety lever having dual function as a decocker (or vice-versa), I find it to be perfectly adequate and it provides versatility that the purpose-built variations do not. As to the original posters decision to engage the safety after decocking the firearm, I believe this is an unnecessary step. There are two modes of carry: 1) cartridge chambered, hammer cocked, and safety engaged with trigger in SA or 2) cartridge chambered, hammer decocked, safety off with trigger in DA. The importance of drawing expeditiously and being able to engage a threat accurately outweighs the convenience and/or safety precautions used when holstering. Holstering should be done in an unrushed/deliberate manner when there is no immediate threat. I personally have chosen the mode of carry that enables me to draw and get rounds on target the fastest and most accurately. Decocking the hammer and engaging the safety I only use administratively or during prolonged storage. Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, my original plan was to holster decocked with safety off. But a friend of mine with long military experience mentioned that safety on could give an added margin of error if someone grabbed the gun from my holster, because they'd have to figure out the safety. It actually sounds as though different branches of the service (Army, USAF) have different policies on the use of the safety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSD View Post
    Interesting. I'd think carrying SA (cocked) with safety on would be a little risky, given that the safety could accidentally get flipped.
    Highly unlikely. It's been used on CZs, Browning HiPowers, Argentinian 1911s and many more. Many of these were military/police issued.

I find the whole hammer/safety thing a little redundant. At this point may as well add a trigger lock too.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it's probably redundant. But it might not be a big deal to flip one more lever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not a big deal, just unnecessary. Just like it's not a big deal to keep the chamber empty and just rack the slide after disengaging the safeties

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links