P30 accidental decocker discharge - Page 14
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: P30 accidental decocker discharge

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

agree but wouldn't it be repeatable if there was a parts breakage??
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

A decocker AD is serious.
    Personally, I am not reading ‘assumptions’ but rather objective discussions on a possible mechanical device (which a gun is) malfunction.
    Of course wait for HK, that’s given, but nothing wrong in keeping other perspectives open either.
    Keep in mind, the chain of custody here isn’t intact.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mew View Post
    agree but wouldn't it be repeatable if there was a parts breakage??
    Sure. But it should also be observable in how the parts look and work. Playing around with live rounds in a malfunctioning pistol isn't a great idea, and I've just outlined the most minor way parts could fail to have this happen. If the slide is broken instead of a small trigger part you don't want to be firing that gun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

mew
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
    A decocker AD is serious.
    Personally, I am not reading ‘assumptions’ but rather objective discussions on a possible mechanical device (which a gun is) malfunction.
    Of course wait for HK, that’s given, but nothing wrong in keeping other perspectives open either.
    Keep in mind, the chain of custody here isn’t intact.
    yes the trouble is I have NEVER heard of an HK decocker malfunction. I use all of my HK pistols decockers routinely due to it being the "safe" way to drop the hammer after loading.
    all of a sudden an decock related discharge happens and now it being the "safe" way is in dispute. Just troubles me to be sure. And I'm not sure what you mean by "chain of custody"
    previously owned perhaps?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

yes the trouble is I have NEVER heard of an HK decocker malfunction. I use all of my HK pistols decockers routinely due to it being the "safe" way to drop the hammer after loading.
    all of a sudden an decock related discharge happens and now it being the "safe" way is in dispute. Just troubles me to be sure. And I'm not sure what you mean by "chain of custody"
    previously owned perhaps?
    Last I checked a gun is a man made mechanical device, just like the Space Shuttle, infinitesimal chance a malfunction could occur. Oh, wait!
    Mechanical design is theoretical until it is applied. Handy and others posted cascading mechanical failures that could make it plausible, but they also unanimously agreed = to wait for HK. You bet I've been following this thread, but I have yet to read of anyone state what absolutely occurred.
    You experience a malfunction, deemed or otherwise, and you test a live round, or you can also play Russian roulette.

Mechanical failures are likely repeatable. It's been mentioned several times already, you can test the decocker/trigger dry without stepping afoot at the range. Pass/fail the test, the mechanical evidence remains intact and you still send it to HK for a determination. But posts face value that never occurred, so now you don't have a baseline of what was sent to HK other than your AD report/experience. The chain of custody/events weren't documented/ascertained.
    HK will do their forensics and assess as required, (legally) provide you an engineered report I doubt it.
    Last edited by GasGuzz; 07-19-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agreed. Machines are just that. When HK gets back to him we'll know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mew
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
    Last I checked a gun is a man made mechanical device, just like the Space Shuttle, infinitesimal chance a malfunction could occur. Oh, wait!
    Mechanical design is theoretical until it is applied. Handy and others posted cascading mechanical failures that could make it plausible, but they also unanimously agreed = to wait for HK. You bet I've been following this thread, but I have yet to read of anyone state what absolutely occurred.
    You experience a malfunction, deemed or otherwise, and you test a live round, or you can also play Russian roulette.

Mechanical failures are likely repeatable. It's been mentioned several times already, you can test the decocker/trigger dry without stepping afoot at the range. Pass/fail the test, the mechanical evidence remains intact and you still send it to HK for a determination. But posts face value that never occurred, so now you don't have a baseline of what was sent to HK other than your AD report/experience. The chain of custody/events weren't documented/ascertained.
    HK will do their forensics and assess as required, (legally) provide you an engineered report I doubt it.
    I'm glad you feel so empowered and superior by schooling me on mechanical devices their applied theory and design, AND the space shuttle!! You must be extra smart as I never knew this. But it sounds to me like you are trying to assert your opinion over mine on the subject and 14 pages of posts. This is a discussion forum not your soap box......

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The other reason to discuss the mechanicals is so when HK does reply, Polydras can make sense of it. If the HK tech says "Catch spring found broken. Spring replaced, firearm functions 100%," Polydras should be prepared to say "That's not good enough. The FPB clearly failed as well."

The same principle applies when you go to the doctor - know what you're talking about. Not every expert thinks the issues through all the way and you should be your own advocate.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I'm glad you feel so empowered and superior by schooling me on mechanical devices their applied theory and design, AND the space shuttle!! You must be extra smart as I never knew this. But it sounds to me like you are trying to assert your opinion over mine on the subject and 14 pages of posts. This is a discussion forum not your soap box......
    I don't understand what you are upset about. GasGuzz is not insulting you.

The fact that none of us have heard of an HK decocker failure doesn't mean anything more than the likelihood is low, not that it is mechanically impossible.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Handy View Post
    The other reason to discuss the mechanicals is so when HK does reply, Polydras can make sense of it. If the HK tech says "Catch spring found broken. Spring replaced, firearm functions 100%," Polydras should be prepared to say "That's not good enough. The FPB clearly failed as well."

The same principle applies when you go to the doctor - know what you're talking about. Not every expert thinks the issues through all the way and you should be your own advocate.

Valid point @Handy , I had not thought it through this way. I still think we all need to collectively un-bunch our panties, and wait to see what HKCS says.
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c
    HK 416 10.5" upper