P30 accidental decocker discharge - Page 18
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: P30 accidental decocker discharge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A couple of things...first, I’m not saying I don’t believe the OP, second, when I use the decocker on my P30, the last thing on my mind is that the gun might discharge. Still point it in a safe direction, finger off the trigger, but still I certainly don’t expect it to fire. As such, my hand isn’t braced, my thumb isn’t pushing any harder than normal to activate the decocker itself. i can say I believe if the gun fired with my thumb in that position, I’d expect to be injured even if only a good sprained thumb. That said, I’m most certainly interested in what HK says...
    Last edited by damoroso; 07-21-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not only would my thumb hurt, but my ears from the bang then my wife screaming her mouth off on me. One for discharging and two for just peeing all over the floor. Wonder if the OP had to notify the authorities and were there any legal issues.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Pinoy
    VP9
    P30SK
    P30L .40

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This whole thread has got me freaked out whenever I now use the decocker. Not a problem being extra cautious, but I don't want to light one off in the house.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    This whole thread has got me freaked out whenever I now use the decocker. Not a problem being extra cautious, but I don't want to light one off in the house.
    Hahah,
    This whole thread is what we refer to in Philadelphia as 'lit'. I always point my pistol at the floor when I de-cock it. (I live in a row home) Despite always being more safe than sorry, I have to say my faith in HK de-cock is still strong. Between my P30, USPc, and P2000, I must have five thousand+ de-cocks without an issue.
    "Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential."
    Bruce Lee

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Switch to Beretta, with 92 and PX4 you can keep finger pressure on a firing pin block while decocking if you're really nervous.

This event, if due to a gun failure, is a statistical outlier. We're on page 18 of this thread, nobody has reported of this ever happening with an HK gun. I've never heard of this happening with any DA/SA gun. So we're probably talking about millions of decocking acts that this and other gun communities has cumulatively performed and all we have is one reported event so far. These are mechanical devices, they can fail, but to me it is actually reassuring that this is clearly an outlier and how incredibly small the chance of that is.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seery View Post

Thanks for the links. Even with 4-5 cases reported, and assuming under-reporting by factor of 10, it is still a statistical outlier though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A couple of comments FWIW:

1. Observe safe gun handling procedures (obligatory comment)
    2. Statistics aside, one can eliminate the rare occurrences by using a method analogous to post #3 and also indicated by other posters. De-cocking is not a critical, time sensitive operation (in self-defense situations).
    3. I would hope that when HK resolves this issue, they report their findings in this thread or some other acceptable thread for public consumption. An issue like this can/will undermine the HK reputation if left unanswered. By virtue of this thread, the event is now documented for posterity

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

18 pages of speculation, the only thing I care about is the OP reporting back when HK evaluates his p30. Maybe HK would like to chime in too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Anyone concerned about decocker ADs with HK pistols can take some steps that I've outlined here:

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...ml#post2783073

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links