Which model uses original 9mm Luger chamber dimension?

Thread: Which model uses original 9mm Luger chamber dimension?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Which model uses original 9mm Luger chamber dimension?

So, I've just come across this article that asserts there is a difference in chamber dimensions between modern 9mm and original German FMJ RN dimension. The article also states there is at least one HK pistol he is aware of that uses this original chamber dim

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=212

Makes one wonder which model that is exactly, considering this may factor into the whole debate as to why USP's are rated for +P+ and others are not.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I'm not sure what the article is referring to, but HK is one of the few companies that went back to stepped chambers instead of the common tapered chamber. This started with the P2000.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Handy View Post
    I'm not sure what the article is referring to, but HK is one of the few companies that went back to stepped chambers instead of the common tapered chamber. This started with the P2000.
    It is referring to the overall length of cartridge that can be chambered, supposedly the original chamber will not allow any +P or +P+ rounds to be chambered due to length.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Handy View Post
    Is the USP like this? Not that it matters, I only have the .45 versions.
    -
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WellWellWell View Post
    It is referring to the overall length of cartridge that can be chambered, supposedly the original chamber will not allow any +P or +P+ rounds to be chambered due to length.
    That's not what they are saying - HK's will accept many +P loads because +P loads are no different in dimensions than normal loads. Buffalo Bore, for reasons unknown, has chosen a bullet shape with a shorter than normal ogive and has consequently found that the round doesn't work in every pistol. They are claiming to have chosen that shape bullet to allow them to get to 1200 fps with a 147 gr. bullet, but they sell a 147 gr JHP that goes to 1175 fps, so that claim doesn't make any sense.

9mm ammo failing to chamber in HKs and Rugers is not a common problem, but one Buffalo Bore created when they decided on this oddball bullet. So now they are doing some finger pointing, but it is not a general +P or +P+ problem, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Josefius View Post
    Is the USP like this? Not that it matters, I only have the .45 versions.
    No, the USP came out long before the P2000 and has a tapered chamber. I once heard someone claim their USPc has a step, but a lot of people don't understand what the step is and confuse is with the case mouth cut. This photo shows the step, which is the light ring just behind the case mouth ring.

Last edited by Handy; 07-16-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

10-4 on your take with it, makes perfect sense... I should have read it a couple more times through. Regarding the 147 JHP @1175... that load is +P+ which is not a good idea in smaller framed pistols, this Outdoorsman load is only rated +P.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WellWellWell View Post
    10-4 on your take with it, makes perfect sense... I should have read it a couple more times through. Regarding the 147 JHP @1175... that load is +P+ which is not a good idea in smaller framed pistols, this Outdoorsman load is only rated +P.
    Yeah, I saw it listed as +P in a test article, but it is +P+ on BB's website.

Sponsored Links