Been MIA for a while but I got my P30L LEM!

Thread: Been MIA for a while but I got my P30L LEM!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Default Been MIA for a while but I got my P30L LEM!

Hey guys - I know its been a while since I posted - long story short, wife and I are moving to NC (Wake Forest) in 2 weeks! We closed on our house in late April in NJ, and actually "rented back" for 2 months from the new owners so we could close and get moved down there, we had just enough time believe it or not - So its been a whirlwind to say the least -

So in the meantime I picked up the great deal I got on a 1 owner, BE date code P30L in Light LEM (was about $740 shipped on Gunbroker) - and I have to say, in terms of the "best of both worlds", the Light LEM is it! I knew I made the right choice, since I'm not much of a traditional DA/SA guy, owning mostly striker pistols, this was absolutely the best choice for me personally, and any hammer fired HK will be a LEM for me going forward, no safety, nice light and predictable pull, I love it! Haven't shot it yet, but I will - Been meaning to send to Mike @ Cross Country to get Meprolights installed on it, although the factory lumi's aren't bad, I like tritiums on all my pistols.

So now that HK is having their screaming magazine promotion, I may not be able to resist getting an OD Green VP9 LE as its brother so I can take advantage of the promotion (although I am extremely tempted as well by the PPQ 45 since I already love my 9mm) -

Other than Meps on my P30L and just cleaning and shooting it, I did want to do the following:
    -12lb hammer spring (the factory 14lb is just too heavy on the second striker option, I have a black spring in there now)
    -V4.1 CDA kit (I purchased from one of the vendors here, including Medium TRS and the nickel sear spring)
    -Lockout delete on the hammer (although it looks like mine has one?, but it came with the key)

Any way to be able to check if mine has a 14lb spring before I order a 12? I know they used to be blue, but on HKParts it says that they are both black now, I think. And James (Marine0303) was going to be located in my new home state and actually within driving distance of my in-laws to do the CDA 4.1 kit install, but he told me a couple months back he was moving to Arizona -

Is there any other way of easily getting the kit installed by an HK Armorer (or any other Armorers in NC), as opposed to paying $100 overnight shipping from Fedex/UPS for a firearm and having to get it shipped back to my FFL in NC? I'd attempt it myself but in my opinion these hammer HK's aren't exactly as simple as a Glock - probably should leave something like that to an armorer.

Glad to be back!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

If you have a black spring, you have the 14-lb Heavy LEM spring. A 12-lb spring would be a Blue-color spring and I believe HK is still shipping them in Blue.

What I would suggest is shoot the gun as is for a couple of hundred rounds, getting used to the light trigger pull. Then swap the light TRS with the medium TRS that came with the V4.1 LEM kit, shoot a few more, and see which pull weight you would prefer because if you didn't and found out after the fact that the medium TRS was too heavy for your taste, it would be another trip to the armorer to have it swapped out. The reason is when the armorer replaced the stock Trigger Bar Detent Spring (TBDS) with the V4.1 TBDS, he would have to replace the stock TRS as well, and if you don't like the medium TRS, he would have to put back the stock TRS and TBDS. The TBDS would require a complete removal of the hammer group while the TRS could be easily done with the HKParts's TRS Pliers.

I have a tutorial in the Reference Library and you could try it yourself. Why not, right?

ETA: Forgot to mention that the gun can be shipped directly back to you and not your FFL.
    Last edited by TooSixy; 07-17-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nice grab. 9mm or .40? Duty to inform in NC! I got p30l lem in .40. No upgrades though. Guess i go with clear tap and rack idea and wouldn't even attempt 2nd strike.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Pinoy
    VP9
    P30SK
    P30L .40

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    If you have a black spring, you have the 14-lb Heavy LEM spring. A 12-lb spring would be a Blue-color spring and I believe HK is still shipping them in Blue.

What I would suggest is shoot the gun as is for a couple of hundred rounds, getting used to the light trigger pull. Then swap the light TRS with the medium TRS that came with the V4.1 LEM kit, shoot a few more, and see which pull weight you would prefer because if you didn't and found out after the fact that the medium TRS was too heavy for your taste, it would be another trip to the armorer to have it swapped out. The reason is when the armorer replaced the stock Trigger Bar Detent Spring (TBDS) with the V4.1 TBDS, he would have to replace the stock TRS as well, and if you don't like the medium TRS, he would have to put back the stock TRS and TBDS. The TBDS would require a complete removal of the hammer group while the TRS could be easily done with the HKParts's TRS Pliers.

I have a tutorial in the Reference Library and you could try it yourself. Why not, right?

ETA: Forgot to mention that the gun can be shipped directly back to you and not your FFL.
    Did I mention that this probably made my day seeing TooSixty post? So glad to see you back, not having your guides with pictures is what was driving me nuts! If its active I will definitely give it a try myself, as pictures along with a tutorial help - good call on the TRS, I will try doing that first with the medium, before putting in the 4.1 parts - the light TRS is nice, but from what I've read the medium TRS is a touch heavier but crisper? Which is why I got it - Will review your tutorial quite a bit before attempting -

Thank you for the call on the hammer spring, I figured as much - I will get the 12lb spring - And thanks for the tip that my gun can be shipped directly back to me, I am coming from Communist NJ where everything goes through FFL and going to a Fedex or UPS and telling them you are shipping a firearm (as a private citizen) is taboo. Good to know I can send to James as a backup if I don't feel confident doing it myself.

@pinoy - 9mm for me, I basically simplified my semi-auto pistols with 9mm and .45 only, but the P30L in 40 I've seen for $600 so they are screaming deals now - and yes CHL class will be taken shortly after moving in, coming from a state where we have ZERO concealed or open carry ability if you are not LEO, it will be nice to enjoy some freedom and you're right about duty to inform, good thing that coming from NJ I read all the laws multiple times a day so I already know what I can and can't do in NC - my P30L will be a HD pistol or winter carry, at only 5'7" I enjoy a slightly smaller pistol for carry (maybe a P30SK LEM?) - but for now my CCW will be my Glock 26 Gen4 -

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    Did I mention that this probably made my day seeing TooSixty post? So glad to see you back, not having your guides with pictures is what was driving me nuts! If its active I will definitely give it a try myself, as pictures along with a tutorial help - good call on the TRS, I will try doing that first with the medium, before putting in the 4.1 parts - the light TRS is nice, but from what I've read the medium TRS is a touch heavier but crisper? Which is why I got it - Will review your tutorial quite a bit before attempting -

Thank you for the call on the hammer spring, I figured as much - I will get the 12lb spring - And thanks for the tip that my gun can be shipped directly back to me, I am coming from Communist NJ where everything goes through FFL and going to a Fedex or UPS and telling them you are shipping a firearm (as a private citizen) is taboo. Good to know I can send to James as a backup if I don't feel confident doing it myself.

@pinoy - 9mm for me, I basically simplified my semi-auto pistols with 9mm and .45 only, but the P30L in 40 I've seen for $600 so they are screaming deals now - and yes CHL class will be taken shortly after moving in, coming from a state where we have ZERO concealed or open carry ability if you are not LEO, it will be nice to enjoy some freedom and you're right about duty to inform, good thing that coming from NJ I read all the laws multiple times a day so I already know what I can and can't do in NC - my P30L will be a HD pistol or winter carry, at only 5'7" I enjoy a slightly smaller pistol for carry (maybe a P30SK LEM?) - but for now my CCW will be my Glock 26 Gen4 -
    if you take it to an FFL, they can use USPS, i believe

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    Did I mention that this probably made my day seeing TooSixty post? So glad to see you back, not having your guides with pictures is what was driving me nuts!
    i haven't publicly thanked 26y, but he restored the pictures on his P30 detail strip thread for me
    HE IS THE MAN!!!!!
    mahalo TooSixy

aloha

steve

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Welcome back, and congratulations on the newest acquisition!!!

Tony

Sponsored Links