VP9 as a service pistol - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: VP9 as a service pistol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PNWLawman View Post
    I have carried a VP9 on duty as a police officer since it came out. Before that I used a USP 40 full size for about a year and prior to that I had used P2000 V2's exclusively. Of the 3, the VP9 shoots the best and I have no qualms about carrying it on duty. I have put thousands of rounds through it without a single issue, fail to eject etc while my co-workers stand there tap-racking their Glocks that seems to constantly malfunction. Another reason that I like the VP9 is because it is between a compact and full size. It falls right in between the P2000 and USP size wise. I work both uniformed and plain clothes assignments back and forth frequently so to not have to switch between a full size and compact handgun for these assignments has been huge for me. It also conceals well off-duty with the right holster. I have a Safariland 6380 light bearing holster for it for duty carry. I get a lot of questions about it when I go to regional training's and all my co-workers that I have let shoot it really love the trigger and feel of the grip.
    Thank you for your reply. Your experience and expertise make your opinion very valuable. I have read that many departments in the States allow VP9s as an alternative to their issued firearms. It actually feels great in my hand and my hand isn't small (I'm 6.4). Im expecting my permit to be issued next week and i will go the range shortly after. I will post my impressions and I'm sure i won't be disappointed.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    i just ordered an SFP9. It's gonna take about a months for the permit. I believe i made a good choice.
    I carry a USP .45 compact (civilian permit holder) and love it, also a P30SK.
    -
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a really great gun. I work in the Pacific Northwest where it rains a lot, gets super cold as well as super hot. Our range is an outdoor range and I have put thousands of rounds through it in downpouring rain as well as on super hot summer days without a single issue. The USP was a great very reliable gun as well. The other downside of the USP is lack of duty holsters that allow for a light due to the need for a rail adapter. I had a Safariland 6280 light bearing holster that provided very lax retention and was more like a bucket to hold the gun. The VP has a ton of holster options from Safariland for duty use and Blackhawk has made a Serpa holster for it as well. My only issue that's not so much an issue has been the deep grooved beavertail style back just under the slide. It makes getting a quick firm grip a little more difficult than the USP or a P30 even due to the deep cutaway but with practice became a non-issue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    i just ordered an SFP9. It's gonna take about a months for the permit. I believe i made a good choice.
    You're a law enforcement officer in germany right? Your laws don't have exceptions even for law enforcement? that's some bullshit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Montrala View Post
    You made right choice. Only in Germany SFP9 is adopted as service pistol by Police in lands of Brandenburg, Niedersachsen, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Sachsen.

Take in mind that for Police use in Germany HK sells SFP9-TR variant. Compared to SFP9-SF (VP9) is has slightly heavier trigger, with longer take up and longer reset. This trigger is compliant with German requirements for 9mm Police pistol.
    That SFP9-TR option makes a HUGE amount of sense for SFP/VPs utilized as LEO weapons. I have a VP40, and while I like it quite a bit, the trigger break is on the cusp of being too soft/too perceptually light for a threat management tool. Conversely, my P30L V1 Light LEM feels "just right," with the same pull weight but a longer pull distance, making it in my opinion a better duty selection. If they ever offer a SFP4-TR action option for my VP40, I'll likely be all over it-and I may inquire about it's availability with HK-US.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonHK40; 09-03-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonHK40 View Post
    If they ever offer a SFP4-TR action option for my VP40, I'll likely be all over it-and I may inquire about it's availability with HK-US.
    I can try to find out what is needed to covert SFP9-SF/VP9(40) into TR variant. The it will be easier to get conversion kits. Worked out nicely with LEM V4.1 ;)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Current: SFP9SD-SF, P2000SK, MR223A3 11.5"
    Past: P30L, P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41), HK45C, MR223 16.5"/14.5", SFP9-SF
    I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Hornady, Khales & Typhoon Defence brands in Poland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PNWLawman View Post
    It is a really great gun. I work in the Pacific Northwest where it rains a lot, gets super cold as well as super hot. Our range is an outdoor range and I have put thousands of rounds through it in downpouring rain as well as on super hot summer days without a single issue. The USP was a great very reliable gun as well. The other downside of the USP is lack of duty holsters that allow for a light due to the need for a rail adapter. I had a Safariland 6280 light bearing holster that provided very lax retention and was more like a bucket to hold the gun. The VP has a ton of holster options from Safariland for duty use and Blackhawk has made a Serpa holster for it as well. My only issue that's not so much an issue has been the deep grooved beavertail style back just under the slide. It makes getting a quick firm grip a little more difficult than the USP or a P30 even due to the deep cutaway but with practice became a non-issue.
    Thats true. Even though VP is on the market for about 3 years it has a ton of accessories. A lot of options for holsters, lights and many more. There is no weapon made just for each one of us. We need to practice in order to overcome some small issues with grips, triggers etc. For example if you had a Glock for years, your hand got used to it. Any other pistols feels different. I will spend a lot of time dry practicing and at the range. I don't think i will have any issues with the ergonomics of the VP.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavygunner8 View Post
    You're a law enforcement officer in germany right? Your laws don't have exceptions even for law enforcement? that's some bullshit.
    No, I'm in Greece. There not much restrictions. Pretty much any duty sized pistol is allowed. There are some caliber restrictions and for training purposes revolvers are not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonHK40 View Post
    That SFP9-TR option makes a HUGE amount of sense for SFP/VPs utilized as LEO weapons. I have a VP40, and while I like it quite a bit, the trigger break is on the cusp of being too soft/too perceptually light for a threat management tool. Conversely, my P30L V1 Light LEM feels "just right," with the same pull weight but a longer pull distance, making it in my opinion a better duty selection. If they ever offer a SFP4-TR action option for my VP40, I'll likely be all over it-and I may inquire about it's availability with HK-US.

Best, Jon
    I've looked for TR trigger kits. Didn't find anything on line. I also didn't find a SFP9-TR for sale on line. It made ME think that it's probably available only for govermernt contracts, or only in Germany. I may be wrong. The specifications of a TR trigger seem like a Glock trigger (travel, weight, reset) but it might feel a lot different on the finger. Anyway if i don't shoot plenty of rounds i can't say if its very light (in the gunstore felt just right for me). There are some trigger kits out there. I can always replace it. Otherwise i might switch back to the good old USP and keep the VP for the range. I have options. But i am pretty sure that after much practice it won't be an issue.
    Last edited by Giannis; 09-04-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

@JonHK40

Apparently TR conversion is not that easy. Frame parts can be swapped, but also firing pin safety is different and this is built in into slide. So basically, per my friend, this means whole pistol should be swapped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got a cop buddy in Florida who uses the VP9 as one of his off-duty pieces. He loves it! That's one of the reasons why I went with the VP9SK 9mm for myself.

H&K VP9SK Compact 9mm | Sig Sauer P238 Texas Edition .380 ACP | Springfield Armory Saint AR-15 5.56mm NATO

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am a Law Enforcement Officer in the Great Lakes region. I wrote our VP9 proposal and field tested the VP9 back in 2015. Today, the VP9 is our issued weapon for our academies. The VP9 is (from a training perspective) superb to the other offerings due to the ability to custom fit the weapon to the shooter, 100% ambidextrous and reliability. My agency was 100% Glock prior to this and without exception, the VP9 is widely favored by our officers who made the switch to HK.

As with any new(er) handgun, we have had a few growing pains, but nothing that cannot be resolved quickly. HK's customer support has been excellent and being a VP9 armorer, I can say that the fit and finish is excellent when compared to the "other" striker fired service weapons available.
    Last edited by et2041; 09-05-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links