VP9 as a service pistol
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9 as a service pistol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VP9 as a service pistol

Hi guys. This is my first post here. Im from Europe so i apologise for my English. I am in law enforcement and after 15 years having a usp9 as my duty pistol, i decided to make change. I am interested in buying a vp9 (sfp9 on EU) as my service weapon. Here are my thoughts. As vp9 is kind of new (since 2014) in the market i'd like to know if there are any known reliability issues with it. Is anyone here using to as a service pistol? Any information you'd like to share with me is much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your replies.
    Last edited by Giannis; 08-21-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Greetings from across the pond. AFAIK, there are the occasional mistakes that make it past QC, but there aren't any common, consistent problems, except for those who try to break in a new gun with underpowered ammo. My only suggestion would be to shoot the VP9 to see if you like striker over hammer, and ponder how you feel about having one on your hip locked and loaded sans traditional safety. I have read somewhere that a safety lever may be offered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What country are you serving in?
    Born in the US of parts made in Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Devastation to your doorstep in 30 minutes or less...Minuteman III LGM30G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    Hi guys. This is my first post here. Im from Europe so i apologise for my English. I am in law enforcement and after 15 years having a usp9 as my duty pistol, i decided to make change. I am interested in buying a vp9 (sfp9 on EU) as my service weapon. Here are my thoughts. As vp9 is kind of new (since 2014) in the market i'd like to know if there are any known reliability issues with it. Is anyone here using to as a service pistol? Any information you'd like to share with me is much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your replies.
    No known issues other than what @dano1200r said about (Americans) using underpowered ammunition in pistol upon initial use. The VP9 is now using the VP40 (.40 S&W) recoil spring so it's stiffer. I have an older VP9 that has the lighter spring and I was able to cycle 115gr ammunition without an issue (Federal and Winchester FMJ). Some people have stated that they have had trouble with the newer VP9s that use the stiffer spring using 115gr to start (first 300 rounds of ammunition). Since you're in Europe the ammunition is known to be hotter and HK develops 9x19mm pistols around something similar to the 124gr NATO ammunition - which the HK manual recommends. I have the VP9 Tactical which has the stiffer spring and I used 115gr Federal / Winchester FMJ to break it in with ZERO FTF/FTEs.

Great handgun and I see no reason why you shouldn't consider it for service. Be safe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    Greetings from across the pond. AFAIK, there are the occasional mistakes that make it past QC, but there aren't any common, consistent problems, except for those who try to break in a new gun with underpowered ammo. My only suggestion would be to shoot the VP9 to see if you like striker over hammer, and ponder how you feel about having one on your hip locked and loaded sans traditional safety. I have read somewhere that a safety lever may be offered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Occasional mistakes happen to all products. Actually i can't find a vp9 to shoot with but I've shot glocks and i got a feeling of a striker pistol. I've used my USP for over 15 years. Great gun and extremely reliable and it made me a big fan of HK.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
    What country are you serving in?
    Greece
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentTactical View Post
    No known issues other than what @dano1200r said about (Americans) using underpowered ammunition in pistol upon initial use. The VP9 is now using the VP40 (.40 S&W) recoil spring so it's stiffer. I have an older VP9 that has the lighter spring and I was able to cycle 115gr ammunition without an issue (Federal and Winchester FMJ). Some people have stated that they have had trouble with the newer VP9s that use the stiffer spring using 115gr to start (first 300 rounds of ammunition). Since you're in Europe the ammunition is known to be hotter and HK develops 9x19mm pistols around something similar to the 124gr NATO ammunition - which the HK manual recommends. I have the VP9 Tactical which has the stiffer spring and I used 115gr Federal / Winchester FMJ to break it in with ZERO FTF/FTEs.

Great handgun and I see no reason why you shouldn't consider it for service. Be safe!
    I have read about the issue with a new gun and underpowered ammo. I use S&B 124gr and i will be extra careful at the first 500 rounds.

I read only good reviews about the VP9. I am almost certain that it will be a good service pistol that will serve me well for a lifetime. Thank you all for your replies.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The vp9 is a great pistol and I am sure you will love it! Welcome to the forum.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Never a need to apologize for your English -- it is lightyears better than any of our Greek!

The VP9 is a fine pistol -- I own a few myself -- but I'd be willing to bet a dollar (or Euro) that I'm not the only one that thinks it is a step down from the USP!
    Last edited by bastardsonofelvis; 08-21-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

i have a buddy who is using a vp9 for his duty and a vp40 for off duty and has had no issues with them. he was carrying a gen 1 g17 and is left handed he is loving everything about the vp series

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Welcome to the site--- your English is great--- the VP9 is great, but (as you already know) the USP9 is better!!!

Tony

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Like you I've carried a P2K for 10 years and am making the switch to a VP9 with a reflex sight.
    Scouts Out

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links