USP 9 vs USP 9 Tactical vs USP 45 Tactical

Poll: Which of these would you choose and why?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: USP 9 vs USP 9 Tactical vs USP 45 Tactical

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default USP 9 vs USP 9 Tactical vs USP 45 Tactical

So I shot a USP 9 at the gun range the other day and loved it! I'm a big glock guy but I have to say this thing is an accurate gun and something about it just seemed right.

So that has me looking at getting one and I've been looking/leaning towards the tactical model that comes with night sights and 3 mags. But $770 for the standard vs $1200 for the Tactical is a big price difference.

Do you guys think the tactical (with the threaded barrel, match trigger, suppressor night sights, and one extra mag), is worth the extra price of admission?
    Being a glock guy I'm used to equating $500 with the price of a handgun rather than more than double that. Of course I understand the features cost extra.

I'm thinking I could use the USP tactical for a home defense gun. I have a Silencerco Omega 9k waiting in jail so I would be able to run it on the USP tactical.

However I could easily set up one of my glocks for home defense for a lot less money. For those of you who have shot both which did you prefer and why?

And finally, I keep reading online that people think the 45 is the way to go for the USP line. Why? is the 45 version inherently better than the 9mm version?

Thanks

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The USP45 Tactical is the Tactical to have.

I like the 9mm's, I'm carrying one as I write this, but for a Tactical model, the original in .45ACP is the one to get.

I can carry the USP45 Tactical in a pair of hiking shorts and a t-shirt and it disappears in a Black Arch holster.
    Born in the US of parts made in Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Devastation to your doorstep in 30 minutes or less...Minuteman III LGM30G.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
    The USP45 Tactical is the Tactical to have.

I like the 9mm's, I'm carrying one as I write this, but for a Tactical model, the original in .45ACP is the one to get.

I can carry the USP45 Tactical in a pair of hiking shorts and a t-shirt and it disappears in a Black Arch holster.
    Why is the 45 the one to get?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's the original, and it's in .45ACP.

Also, it's used by GSG-9 as the P12. Since I couldn't get one marked like that I settled for the USP45 Tactical.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

My advice is to get the Tactical in the round that you can afford to train with the most and enjoy shooting the most. The 9MMs also have the added option of running the Jet Funnel Mag well and the 18 round mags which to me is a huge plus. I love shooting .45 but 9mm has made large strides in last 10 years and I have no qualms about it as a defensive round. The truth is all pistol rounds are not fantastic man stoppers. There was a police shooting a few years back in CA and perp got 8+ 357 Mags to chest and lived to serve his prison sentence. Shot placement is paramount to caliber choice.

The USP is a hammer in stock form but the Tactical is almost in a different league with a much better trigger and adjustable night sights if you get them. If you dont intend to ever run a suppressor then thats a ding against having the threaded barrel. I think to really get the best the USP has to offer, you need a Tactical or a Expert with all the features to really set it apart from something much cheaper.

If this is for carry I would lean against something with TACTICAL written down the slide an anti gun jury or judge could have a field day with that.
    Last edited by Hawk777; 09-06-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    So many HKs so little time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
    It's the original, and it's in .45ACP.

Also, it's used by GSG-9 as the P12. Since I couldn't get one marked like that I settled for the USP45 Tactical.
    the .40 was actually the original USP, followed by the 9mm, and lastly the .45. In my opinion however the .45 is the way to go with the tactical. the .45USP is justifiably large and helps mitigate the .45 recoil.
    NRA Lifetime Member. Hidden Content

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks for chiming in all of you.
    I wouldn't be carrying it. I have a G19 and G43 for that. But I could see myself using it for home defense with the suppressor on it. I know some people think shooting someone in self defense with a suppressor is a terrible idea but losing your hearing is also terrible.

Problem with the 45 to me is the fact it costs more to shoot and I don't have a suppressor for 45 so the threaded barrel at this point would go unused. I may get one in the future but then I feel like if I'm going to go USP 45 Tactical, why not go all the way and go Mark 23?

How does the match trigger compare to the normal trigger in feel?

POB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timewaster1700 View Post

I'm thinking I could use the USP tactical for a home defense gun. I have a Silencerco Omega 9k waiting in jail so I would be able to run it on the USP tactical.
    A .45 suppresses better.
    HK USP TACTICAL .45
    HK VP 9
    SIG P228
    SIG MK25-D
    SIG P229 .357 SIG
    SIG P239 .40
    Browning Hi-Power MK 3
    S&W 686
    Glock 22
    Bulgarian Makarov

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

If you have the can for the 9MM just get the Tac 9mm and you will have an awesome setup. It was built to be a suppressor host. I own both guns you are looking at with the correct cans and I like them equally. I like shooting .45 a little better cause I am old school but the 9mm is a tac driver aswell. You can always get the 45 later if you want. If you grab the .45 you will prob wish you had the 9 to screw your suppressor on.

One thing if you can hold them is that the 9MM is slightly smaller in frame and a different shape to the .45. So if you can try them get what fits your hand the best.

The 45 is subsonic by nature so no supersonic crack but you can shoot 9mm subsonic aswell so its a bit of a non issue. In home defense its a non issue. If I had to use my night stand USP I would take the can off before the cops got there they arent going to know you were shooting suppressed lol.

The Match Trigger is a couple pounds lighter on DA and SA pull. Mostly what it ads is an over travel stop. So you get a more positive break with no over travel. It will blow away the triggers on your Glocks (I like Glocks BTW). It will be a little smoother on the DA pull.

That being said most would argue the LEM trigger is the best for the USP series if you like a consistent trigger like the Glocks.

The Mark 23 is fantastic as a range toy and suppressor host. I would not use it in a home defense type role at least for me its to big with the can etc. Some others may see it as made for this role as an offensive pistol. Also it will be taken if you have to use it in self defense as evidence so you would be out a $2K gun and can. :(
    Last edited by Hawk777; 09-07-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timewaster1700 View Post
    Thanks for chiming in all of you.
    I wouldn't be carrying it. I have a G19 and G43 for that. But I could see myself using it for home defense with the suppressor on it. I know some people think shooting someone in self defense with a suppressor is a terrible idea but losing your hearing is also terrible.

Problem with the 45 to me is the fact it costs more to shoot and I don't have a suppressor for 45 so the threaded barrel at this point would go unused. I may get one in the future but then I feel like if I'm going to go USP 45 Tactical, why not go all the way and go Mark 23?

How does the match trigger compare to the normal trigger in feel?
    I think you should definitely get the USP Tactical in whatever caliber you prefer... The .40 will be the cheapest, but in the end it's a personal choice. If you look around, you can find the USP9T for less than you're saying. I snagged mine for around $1050, and that was the LE package with 3 mags and night sights. The thing to me is, if you're planning on suppressing it, it's a no brainer. By the time you add all the stuff to the stock USP to make it suppressor ready (threaded barrel, suppressor sights, and the Tactical specific recoil spring assembly), you're approaching the price of the Tactical, but still miss out on features like the O-Ring barrel, match trigger, and cool slide marking.

One thing to note, the .45 uses metal magazines, whereas the .40 and 9mm use polymer magazines. A lot of people use the HK45C mag release on their USP for an extended release. Thing is, the release is metal, so it may deform the catch on the .40 and 9mm polymer magazines. Just something to consider. I have the HK45C release on my USP Compacts but not my USP9T for that reason.

As far as the Mark 23 goes, it's a whole 'nother world. I have both the Mark 23 and USP9T, and my favorite gun is the Mark 23. However, if I was forced to choose one gun, it'd be the USP9T. It's a far more versatile gun, with more trigger options, a more manageable size, and plenty enough performance.
    ar2088 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links