Question about issue with vp9sk - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Question about issue with vp9sk

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How does S&B 124 compare to 124 NATO? I do not remember shooting any S&B. Is it better than AE 124 FMJ or IMI 124 NATO? Thanks.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    How does S&B 124 compare to 124 NATO? I do not remember shooting any S&B. Is it better than AE 124 FMJ or IMI 124 NATO? Thanks.
    The recoil momentum (proportional to the "power factor" - PF) is what's important. By conservation of momentum, it is essentially the product of the bullet weight times the bullet velocity at muzzle exit.

This S&B is pretty hot: Bulk Sellier & Bellot 9mm Ammo for Sale - 115 gr FMJ (1000 Rounds)

You can calculate values for the PF for some different ammo here: 9mm Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

Winchester "NATO" ("marketing hype") is slighter weaker wrt PF than the AE 124gr FMJ: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...l-metal-jacket

Based on the following the PF of the IMI 124 gr does not appear to be very high: Bulk 9mm Ammo For Sale - 124 Grain FMJ Ammunition in Stock by IMI - 1000 Rounds

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't know but published info on bullet muzzle velocity is not always apples to apples unless barrel length is the same. IMO some exaggerate their numbers by using longer barrels or it may just be the standard in that country.
    I have shot S&B and consider it good ammo but IMO it did not have noticeable different recoil than other ammo I was shooting. My personal preference would be Federal American Eagle 124 as it is on the stout side and also about the most accurate ammo I have ever tried in a wide variety of pistols. AE 147 is really good ammo too. I have tried S&B 115 and I can say that without any doubt Speer Lawman 115 is hotter.

Speer and most other US manufactures use a 4 inch barrel to measure ballistics for 9MM while Sellier and Bellot used a 6 inch barrel which is a full 50 percent longer.

http://www.sellierbellot.us/products...product?id=136 -- Look under ballistics tab where it shows Test Barrel Length: 6.00 inches.

http://www.sellierbellot.us/products...product?id=136 -- Look under detail for 9MM load where it shows Test Barrel Length in inches 4.
    Last edited by grumpy1; 09-27-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    ― Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thank you for the replies. I usually only buy AE 124 gr FMJ and I did like IMI 124 NATO. I have not shot Speer Lawman 124 and I think I will try a box. I only shoot 124 and my carry load is HST 124+P. I should state my EDC is a VP9,which I shoot better than any other pistol.Again,thanks for the replies.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
    I don't know but published info on bullet muzzle velocity is not always apples to apples unless barrel length is the same. IMO some exaggerate their numbers by using longer barrels or it may just be the standard in that country.
    I have shot S&B and consider it good ammo but IMO it did not have noticeable different recoil than other ammo I was shooting. My personal preference would be Federal American Eagle 124 as it is on the stout side and also about the most accurate ammo I have ever tried in a wide variety of pistols. AE 147 is really good ammo too. I have tried S&B 115 and I can say that without any doubt Speer Lawman 115 is hotter.

Speer and most other US manufactures use a 4 inch barrel to measure ballistics for 9MM while Sellier and Bellot used a 6 inch barrel which is a full 50 percent longer.

Sellier and Bellot :: View Product -- Look under ballistics tab where it shows Test Barrel Length: 6.00 inches.

Sellier and Bellot :: View Product -- Look under detail for 9MM load where it shows Test Barrel Length in inches 4.
    Just saw the additional info. You are quite correct that the barrel lengths must be the same for any comparative momentum calculation to be made. The only additional info I could turn up was some reports of S&B 115 gr at about 1230 fps out of a 5" barrel. Also found this which tends to indicate that S&B at 4" length could still be around 1200+ fps - still fairly hot. Anyway, your point about needing to use comparable barrel lengths is well taken.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Speer ammo is typically hotter than bargain brands like Winchester White Box, UMC, etc. I prefer to run Speer 124 TMJs for practice as they function in my carry gun and have similar POI to the 124 gr Gold Dots I carry when zeroes at 25 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links