Major Jam
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Major Jam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Major Jam

Help please fellow H&K owners.
    This question may require a gunsmith? Or not?
    I've had this VP9SK for a couple months. Fired 500 rounds (brass) right away and it functioned perfectly however, then today (10/15/2017) I fired 20 + 3 (steel rounds) and it jammed on the 23rd round so bad I cannot get the slide to release. I even tried the bench method of placing the barrel on a solid wood surface and pushing the frame only, but to no avail! Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Are you sure the last round fired? If so, and if you can somehow absolutely confirm there is an EMPTY cartridge stuck in there (perhaps with a light and mirror), you might try putting a cleaning rod down the barrel and attempt to tap the other end of the rod on a solid surface.

The theory is that you're attempting to "assist" a more forcible recoil from the direction of the case.
    Last edited by DentedBrass; 10-16-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You see the part in the owners manual that states you should never fire steel cased ammunition through your HK? This is why...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

rubber mallet.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    You see the part in the owners manual that states you should never fire steel cased ammunition through your HK? This is why...
    Yup, RTFM. You or someone will be able to get it out, lesson learned
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    Ding ding ding - I never understood why people would buy a top quality pistol and shoot junk brass or even steel cased through it - stop being a cheapskate to save a penny or two a round -

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

HK has pretty tight tolerances in their chambers in order to provide for efficient ballistics. That said, the expansion/retraction rate of brass is faster than steel. An example, the HK45 won't cycle Hornady's nickel coated cartridges, jams them right up. To reinforce @Freak 's point about the owners manual, you have to use what's prescribed. I think the VP9 series owners manual is the saving grace for VP9 owners, so many little secrets can solve so many problems.

Hopefully you get it unjammed without damage and enjoy the SK using brass cases in the future.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentTactical View Post
    HK has pretty tight tolerances in their chambers in order to provide for efficient ballistics. That said, the expansion/retraction rate of brass is faster than steel. An example, the HK45 won't cycle Hornady's nickel coated cartridges, jams them right up. To reinforce @Freak 's point about the owners manual, you have to use what's prescribed. I think the VP9 series owners manual is the saving grace for VP9 owners, so many little secrets can solve so many problems.

Hopefully you get it unjammed without damage and enjoy the SK using brass cases in the future.
    Hmmm, I'll have to differ on the HK45 and Hornady, one of my recent acquisitions is a 45C German made, AK date code. Came with some ammo, including Critical Defense 185g , which I don't like as much as Critical Duty, but still prefer HSTs, so had about 60 rounds of it, figured shoot it for fun.....no failures at all in my HK45 nor my 45C.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    Ding ding ding - I never understood why people would buy a top quality pistol and shoot junk brass or even steel cased through it - stop being a cheapskate to save a penny or two a round -
    Dilly, Dilly!!! Steel cased or cheap reloads are 'you get what you pay for' based on my limited experience. I never have nor will I use steel cased, and the few reloads I've shot, while OK and trouble free, just isn't worth the penny or so a round savings. I have found, recently, 9mm by the case, S&B for $170 shipped, which is low cost enough for me to feed my 'top shelf' pistol.....I wouldn't put non-TopTier gas in a Porsche so why use the ultra cheap (less R&D and less QC in manufacturing, not discounting child labor costs) steel ammo in an HK?

Hopefully, lesson learned. AmmoSeek is your friend.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfieRules View Post
    Hmmm, I'll have to differ on the HK45 and Hornady, one of my recent acquisitions is a 45C German made, AK date code. Came with some ammo, including Critical Defense 185g , which I don't like as much as Critical Duty, but still prefer HSTs, so had about 60 rounds of it, figured shoot it for fun.....no failures at all in my HK45 nor my 45C.
    It was the +P TAP ammunition. When I asked about it after I had the issue all fellow HK45 owners immediately reinforced it being a known issue.
    Last edited by SerpentTactical; 10-16-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links