My USP is experiencing frequent failures to feed. - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My USP is experiencing frequent failures to feed.

  1. #11
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't know anything about USPs but crud around an extractor can make it difficult for the cartridge rim to slide up into the bolt face as the slide strips it from the magazine. This could cause an alignment problem when it hits the feed ramp.

  2. #12
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Location : CO
    Posts : 829
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racegunner View Post
    There was also a case of FTF when the overtravel screw on the trigger was not adjusted properly. I see you now have an overtravel screw.
    I recall a post on this, causing a binding issue and interfering with the slide timing.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    M1garand's Avatar
    Join Date : Oct 2016
    Location : Alaska
    Posts : 24
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    In pic 1 and 2 the round is no where near the extractor, don't look like the case head even came out of the magazine so don't think that is the problem. Looks like a low power round that didn't push the slide back far enough to pick up the next round. Limp wristing ?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Crashmc's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2013
    Posts : 6,652
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racegunner View Post
    There was also a case of FTF when the overtravel screw on the trigger was not adjusted properly.
    I could see a failure to fire but not a failure to feed . This happens so infrequently with different hardware it seems like it might be a timing issue with the shooter . I never use the term limp wristing because that really doesn't make sense and is derogatory . Maybe at times the shot is breaking faster then your mind thinks it is . just a thought ...
    NRA Certified RSO

    Be where your feet are

  6. #15
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    armtx77's Avatar
    Join Date : May 2014
    Location : Capital of the Caribbean...NOLA
    Posts : 697
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M1garand View Post
    In pic 1 and 2 the round is no where near the extractor, don't look like the case head even came out of the magazine so don't think that is the problem. Looks like a low power round that didn't push the slide back far enough to pick up the next round. Limp wristing ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashmc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by racegunner View Post
    There was also a case of FTF when the overtravel screw on the trigger was not adjusted properly.
    I could see a failure to fire but not a failure to feed . This happens so infrequently with different hardware it seems like it might be a timing issue with the shooter . I never use the term limp wristing because that really doesn't make sense and is derogatory . Maybe at times the shot is breaking faster then your mind thinks it is . just a thought ...
    I can make this FTE happen when I first started weak hand shooting. I had put 1000's of rounds through a USPc45 stronghand. Switching to weakhad was a humbling eye opener.

    I dont like limp wrist either, but I just dont have an easier way to explain it.

  7. #16
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Location : meanwhile in Khalifornistan...
    Posts : 19
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyno View Post
    No carbon of debris there. These pics were taken immediately after cleaning. I'm not sure about the rounded edge. I noticed that too, but don't know enough about it to say whether or not it's supposed to be that way.
    The rounding on the extractor is normal. That's the end that doesn't touch the round and goes into the slide. And while it doesn't really affect your issue, there is carbon buildup on the extracting end of your extractor. Hit it with a dental pick or toothpick hard and you'll see it come off.
    The only thing I managed to do with my HKs in 45 caliber to similarly replicate the issue 100% of the time is that the slide is catching on the notch the extractor uses (instead of the back of the casing) and is blocking the back of the round from seating properly even though it can send the round forward. I'd presume either something is up with the recoil spring of your USP or that you're limp wristing. Next time it happens, double check to see if you can see the slide resting on the notch on the round that the extractor uses.
    Last edited by sixtwosix; 12-17-2017 at 03:08 AM.

  8. #17
    Very Senior Member

    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 338
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racegunner View Post
    There was also a case of FTF when the overtravel screw on the trigger was not adjusted properly. I see you now have an overtravel screw. Just a thought. And your extractor is cruddy in the photo how do you not see it?
    Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
    I recall a post on this, causing a binding issue and interfering with the slide timing.
    I can't understand how an overtravel screw in the trigger would affect the gun's ability to feed the next round. That doesn't make any sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by sixtwosix View Post
    The rounding on the extractor is normal. That's the end that doesn't touch the round and goes into the slide. And while it doesn't really affect your issue, there is carbon buildup on the extracting end of your extractor. Hit it with a dental pick or toothpick hard and you'll see it come off.
    The only thing I managed to do with my HKs in 45 caliber to similarly replicate the issue 100% of the time is that the slide is catching on the notch the extractor uses (instead of the back of the casing) and is blocking the back of the round from seating properly even though it can send the round forward. I'd presume either something is up with the recoil spring of your USP or that you're limp wristing. Next time it happens, double check to see if you can see the slide resting on the notch on the round that the extractor uses.
    I will go ahead and clean the extractor again, but there's no way it's the extractor. This is the only handgun I own that is experiencing this issue. I have handguns with thousands upon thousands of rounds fired and I haven't cleaned the extractor once and they run perfectly. And I assure you no limp wristing either lol.

  9. #18
    Very Senior Member

    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 338
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M1garand View Post
    In pic 1 and 2 the round is no where near the extractor, don't look like the case head even came out of the magazine so don't think that is the problem. Looks like a low power round that didn't push the slide back far enough to pick up the next round. Limp wristing ?
    I thought it could be a low powered round, but again, when I first got this USP, it ate up everything no problem. And then one day (using the same ammunition cheap ammo) it just started having FTFs. And I can assure you it's not error due to limp wristing.

  10. #19
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    TooSixy's Avatar
    Join Date : Sep 2011
    Posts : 18,554
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)

    Default

    @Hyno Do you have another USP 45 that you can put this slide on and try again?

  11. #20
    Very Senior Member

    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 338
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default

    I unfortunately do not.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •