My USP is experiencing frequent failures to feed.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My USP is experiencing frequent failures to feed.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default My USP is experiencing frequent failures to feed.

My USP has been experiencing failures to feed recently. The spent casing will eject without issue, but the next round fails to correctly feed into the chamber. This happens once or twice every 100-200 rounds. This has been an ongoing issue for the past thousand(ish) rounds fired.

The ammo in question is Federal 230gr white box and Magtech 230gr FMJ. I don't believe the problem is ammo related as my USP ate up Federal white box with zero problems when I first got it (I am the original owner). I would guess I had between 600 and 1000 rounds fired with flawless function before the FTFs began happening.

It is worth noting that the FTFs began after the installation of the match trigger kit, however, the installation was performed by James (Marine0303) so I would be very surprised if the match trigger installation has anything to do with this. Is it possible a part from the kit has come loose thus no longer correctly installed? I don't know if these match trigger parts could potentially have anything to do with the pistol's ability to feed rounds. Just thought I'd mention this and ask as my knowledge on the mechanics of all the working parts of the firearm is not great.

At first I thought maybe the magazines weren't raising up the rounds fast enough to correctly load so I replaced the magazine springs, but that did not fix anything. So I decided to buy a brand new factory magazine and give that a try. I put 200 rounds down range today and experienced yet another FTF. So at this point I feel it's safe to say it's not a magazine issue. The only other thing I can think of is the slide isn't going all the way back which is causing the FTF when it comes back into battery. Thoughts?

I've attached pics of the FTF from today's range session, as well as pics of my bbl and extractor for viewing Everything appears to be free of any defects/damage/faults, but wanted you all to take a look as well. The only other thing I can think of is the RSA is somehow out of spec, but I don't want to keep spending money on replacing parts hoping it resolves the problem. I'm hoping to avoid having to send it in to HK, but at this point, I'm not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

Attachment 163778Attachment 163786Attachment 163794Attachment 163802Attachment 163810Attachment 163818Attachment 163826Attachment 163834Attachment 163842Attachment 163850Attachment 163858Attachment 163866Attachment 163874Attachment 163882Attachment 163890Attachment 163898Attachment 163906

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Is that carbon or debris around the extractor claw? My USP is in the safe right now, but is the claw shaped properly? I don't remember if it has a rounded edge on one side or not.
    But crude build up on the extractor is one of the causes of this. I believe. Also clean out the slot the extractor fits into.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by racegunner View Post
    Is that carbon or debris around the extractor claw? My USP is in the safe right now, but is the claw shaped properly? I don't remember if it has a rounded edge on one side or not.
    But crude build up on the extractor is one of the causes of this. I believe. Also clean out the slot the extractor fits into.
    No carbon of debris there. These pics were taken immediately after cleaning. I'm not sure about the rounded edge. I noticed that too, but don't know enough about it to say whether or not it's supposed to be that way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Double check the extractor it really looks like there might be debris by the photos.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)

I fail to see how a dirty extractor would cause FTF's if the spent rounds are ejected properly, like you stated.

Have you contacted HKCS?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    I fail to see how a dirty extractor would cause FTF's if the spent rounds are ejected properly, like you stated.

Have you contacted HKCS?
    I am planning on doing so tomorrow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post

Have you contacted HKCS?
    I don't see how it would either, but I remember reading on here about complaints of FTF on USP 45s and weak mag springs were suspected. Someone said it could be debris in around the extractor and I thought it was the case. Not sure how, but it seemed to be unique to the USP 45. I can't find the post now.
    Also was just thinking if the mag catch is damage or out of spec it may not hold the mag high enough to be reliable. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Here #10 in this thread. Is this guy wrong?
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...tical-ftf.html

"It's the EXTRACTOR. Switch out the extractor with the known good one from your fullsize USP 45 to test in your USP Tactical 45.

The reason it happens most on the last rounds out of the mag is because the mag spring always exerts much less upwards pressure on the last rounds than it does on the first rounds; and, if your extractor is not perfectly shaped, the rim of the round has difficulty getting up into the claw at speed. Overpowered mag-springs will solve the symptom, but the real issue is a less-than-perfectly-shaped-extractor.

The extractors are metal-injection-molded, and then their leading edges are later cut & ground by hand. There is wide variation among samples of otherwise "identical" extractors with the same part numbers, but produced in different batches."

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I have a USP 45 that does this. Sent it to HK twice. The first time, they replaced the recoil spring. The second time, they replaced the barrel due to an issue in the chamber.

It still happens on new and used magazines now and then. Doesn't happen with +P ammo, so I run that now. All my other HK pistols are fine. This one is a lemon, and I don't trust it without +P, so that's what it has loaded in it now.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

There was also a case of FTF when the overtravel screw on the trigger was not adjusted properly. I see you now have an overtravel screw. Just a thought. And your extractor is cruddy in the photo how do you not see it?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links