HKPRO Forums banner

Does a VP9 hurt anyones thumb knuckle?

6K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Bluerogueone 
#1 ·
Hello guys. I've a weird problem that I've only experienced with a S&W M&P before. The frame of the pistol with a high full grip just eats my thumb knuckle raw, not the thumb joint but the knuckle. Bad enough that in 30 rounds I have a blister and bleeding. I've tried changing up my grip on the pistol but it doesn't feel natural. Anyone else have this strange problem. I have not tried changing my grip panels yet.

I have 5 USP's and P2000's and they don't do this to me. I had to quit shooting Glocks because the slide would cut me in the same place, I mean blood running down my arm. I have just average/large hands but my knuckles are pretty dang large.

I really need to find a solution other than wearing tape because I love this Grey framed pistol. I'll throw this in because I've read people asking, my trigger is outstanding. Maybe not quiet as light as my PPQ M1, which does not hurt my knuckle either, but it's just as smooth and crisp. FYI, it is not a LE model.

Thanks for any replies or suggestions. I'll be playing with the panels today to see if it will help.

Jim D

#3 ·
someone just posted something similar about the mark23, and I cannot figure out how this happens. Is it your weak hand? Is it rubbing against the slide as its reciprocating? When you say knuckle I picture the back of your hand, or what you would see if your hands were playing a piano and I don't see how that could contact the pistol. What am I missing here?

#8 ·
Jon, it's my strong hand, the right hand, I'm a right handed shooter. It's rubbing under/on side of the beavertail on the frame, no where on the slide. And like I said, it's my thumb knuckle not the thumb joint. When I wrap my hand around the grip, that knuckle presses against the frame kind of on the side of the little beavertail. Wish I could explain better.

And as I was going to tell Wild Bill, I've tried and just can't post pictures.

It's such a nice weapon it's a shame. Thanks guys, a lot.

Jim D
SE Texas

#12 ·
Vincent, I wish I could post a picture. Yes the webbing is beneath the beavertail but my knuckle on my thumb sticks up and rubs on the side of the actual beavertail. Of course if I grip it low where my webbing is not completely under and up against the beavertail, then my knuckle doesn't stick up and come in contact with the frame but then I don't have good control of the weapon.

Jim D

#15 ·
TooSixy, I'm not sure what your talking about. When I joined I had a thread that stated 3 HK's I have. That was on 12/17. I've had several other HK's also.

But this is my 1st striker fired HK ever but probably won't be my last.

Jim D

#18 ·

Forgive the gangster grip for picture sake and blasphemy of non HK. VP9 was sent to HK yesterday so I'm without the baby for a bit, APX pictured.

I guess I'm with the others in being a little confused. I have a pretty noticeable dimple directly where my thumb knuckle is (arrow for clarity), and you see the pretty safe distance from the frame while having a high grip. Everybody is different I suppose.

Regardless, it was Jerry Miculek I think who said something almost verbatim "the thumbs are useless, just get them out of the way". Try to find something that works.

Attachments

#19 ·
My friend tried out my SFP9 (same as VP9, but in Europe) and he had the same exact experience as you did.

I don’t have large hands, but my thumb knuckle has taken a beating when I’ve shot Walther PPQ and Beretta 90-Two, for example. I’ve used Glocks mostly during the last couple of years and last summer I got an SFP9, and I have shot maybe 500 rounds through it. I use a very high grip and I’m a bit undecided how the grip feels to me; the angle of the frame creates some pressure against my thumb knuckle somewhat, but I haven’t experienced noticeable pain while handling or shooting the pistol.

When I was more serious about competing in IPSC, I used to do dry firing excercises for 30-45min three or four times a week and shoot over 10K rounds per year. That amount of training reveals ANY issues with your pistols ergonomy and because I haven’t practised drawing from the holster or haven’t shot my SFP9 that much, it’s a bit too early to tell whether it works well for me or not. However, it seems promising.

I have P30L also, and the shape of the grip in the mentioned spot is much more rounded than on the SFP9 and to me it’s easier on my thumb knuckle. The trigger and the lower bore axis are somewhat more appealing to me on the SFP9, so I’m interested in trying it out a bit more.

#28 ·
This only happens to me when my grip isn't perfect. I learned to shoot on the vp9, and since i was still figuring out the fundamentals, i was able to see that the gun wasnt perfectly in a straight line with my forearm. I used to flinch a lot bc it would nail my knuckle, but then i taught myself to just ignore it lol, it really helped my shooting once i corrected my grip. no flinching at all anymore, and my knuckle is doing just fine.

#30 ·
I’m pretty sure he’s talking about this:

It’s not an uncommon thing for shooters to experience. Since pistols all have different ergonomics, this happens with all pistols to different hand types.

#32 ·
That's the spot. I wasn't getting a blister, per se, more an irritation of the bone itself. The back of the VP9 frame is blocky. I don't have the issue with any other HK handgun I own -- and I own most of them. It's easy to fix, though, if you don't mind altering the frame. Since I plan to shoot the two I use for training/comp until the wheels fall off, I didn't hesitate to carve it up a little, and now it's perfect.

Reactions: Crashmc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.