HKPRO Forums banner

Recoil Spring Question

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Condition0 
#1 ·
Will putting a 15 or 17# recoil spring in a VP9 versus a 20# spring make the slide easier to rack? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm fairly new to any pistol upgrading. Since I had a light stroke I've lost some hand and arm strength and my VP, although not fired yet, is a little hard to rack for me. Thanks,

Jim D

#6 · (Edited)
If he does that he might encounter FTE and then people will suggest to revert back to the VP40 RSA, at this point will be trial and error methods and see what works best for him. I would suggest to do what the other post above me suggested first, leave the slide locked open for a few days and see if that helps, if not then try the VP9 RSA.

#5 ·
Break it in for a while. Are the slide rails greased? Use the edge of a table and the forward end of the back sight to rack the slide. Hold the slide release down with left thumb and work it using both hands. Does the pistol have the slide ears on it? If not these might help.

I saw someone at the range once, might have been a similar situation The gentleman was putting the slide between his knees and using both hands to rack it. I noticed this because I was concerned about the risk of racking this way.

Not knowing what the mobility loss is with the stoke, get creative. Talk to an occupational therapist, they might have a method for you.

#7 ·
I have an early VP9 and locking back the new RSA won't do much for the OP issue. I'm not aware of any problem with the original VP9 spring causing any fte or any other issues. OP, private message me if you want my 9mm and I'll use yours. I have 100 rounds on it, but try the lockback suggestion to rule it out tonight. I've racked both, you'll see a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.