Is a heavier DA trigger normal after P30 v4.1 conversion?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TooSixy

Thread: Is a heavier DA trigger normal after P30 v4.1 conversion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is a heavier DA trigger normal after P30 v4.1 conversion?

Is a heavier DA trigger normal after P30 v4.1 conversion?

Starting from a v2 Heavy LEM, I installed HKParts' v4.1 kit [catch latch (207933), hammer (207934), and trigger bar detent spring (207932)]. I also installed the "V4.1" mid-weight TRS (234773), the 12 lb. hammer spring (214300), a light FPBS (209296), and the nickel plated sear spring. If the slide has cycled, then everything works how it should —*shorter, lighter, smoother trigger pull. However, if I dry fire, the trigger resets all the way forward to the position that's normal for v2, and then it's *MUCH* heavier than the v2 LEM DA pull. Is this normal, or what did I fubar?

Also, hat tip to @TwoSixy for creating fantastic how-to guides!

Thank you!

— Vorpalis
    Last edited by Vorpalis; 01-10-2018 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I understood correctly, I do believe that’s normal because the slide hasn’t cycled with dry-fire. An LEM trigger will be very heavy if it’s not cycled. This isn’t something you’d encounter normally unless the round had a bad primer and you were trying for a second strike

I’m sure TooSixy can confirm or correct the above if needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Boxed! For clarity, the normal LEM DA pull is what I'm comparing this to (my P30 was v2 LEM before this).

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Maybe the hammer spring isn't seated right. Only thing I can think of. Unless you put a heavier one in.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Sounds right to me - you have the same parts I installed on my P30L - I went from V1 LEM to V4.1CH and did the nickel sear spring along with the 12 lb hammer spring -

Its always going to be super heavy on the "DA" second strike pull - My actual pull with the medium TRS increased probably by .5# when cocked but it breaks like glass and is so smooth now and very tactile - I don't think about the DA pull too much but they were both similar, maybe a touch heavier now, I didn't measure it before -

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

As stated above, this should be normal. The heavier feel is induced by the V4.1 Trigger Bar Detent Spring (TBDS), which is a heavier spring than the stock TBDS in your V2 LEM (or any other variants.) It takes a little more force to move back the Trigger Bar now due to the V4.1 TBDS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whew! Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Follow-up question: does anyone know why HK made the TBRS heavier in the V4.1?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

The V4.1 TBDS is designed to be heavier to eliminate extra play (or dead travel) when pulling on the trigger. Note that the heavier TBDS has nothing to do with the reduced trigger take-up; that is done solely through the V4.1 Hammer and V4.1 Catch.

This is what happens when the TBDS is too light (e.g.: stock TBDS). Video courtesy of member dEX.

Vorpalis and P30 like this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

^Great reference and explanation @TooSixy !

Sponsored Links