HKPRO Forums banner

.45 recoil

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  AGG 
#1 ·
Which HK has the least amount of recoil, flip, push, snap, or whatever you may call it. I'm wanting a 45 but want the softest shooting one and didn't know if there is much difference between the HK 45 and the USP. What defense ammo do you use for the lightest recoil? Thanks,

Jim D

#2 ·
My HK45 is minimal recoil. Possibly even less than my USP EXPERT 45. Granted recoil ia very subjective to the shooter. But at this point I would say my HK45 is the softest. Good luck. If you can try and shoot them both side by side. Your experience may differ from mine and anyone else that may post here

#9 ·
I have a HK45 full size on the way. Based on what I've read, the USP45 might be a little bit softer than the full size but it's harder to get back on the target due to the nature of the recoil management system.

I've shot 45ACP thru SIG P220 (full and carry size) and SIG 1911 5". Recoil is pretty manageable on those. The carry has the most and the 1911 has the least. I am not a big guy anyway. I really hope the HK45 lives up to its expectation.

#12 · (Edited)
Thank ya'll. If what ElvisNixon said is correct, I should be ok. I still shoot my USP compact 40 without problems and sometimes shoot it with a 357 Sig barrel with +P HP's in it.

I won't be shooting this a lot. I want it for my bedside table gun for home defense. If it were you, would you shoot 185's or 230's in it for home defense? What is your preference of ammo for home defense? My buddy gave me a 500 round case of Remington 185 FMJ to target shoot with.

Thanks,

Jim D

#13 ·
Thank ya'll. If what ElvisNixon said is correct, I should be ok. I still shoot my USP compact 40 without problems and sometimes shoot it with a 357 Sig barrel with +P HP's in it.

I won't be shooting this a lot. I want it for my bedside table gun for home defense. If it were you, would you shoot 185's or 230's in it for home defense? What is your preference of ammo for home defense? My buddy gave me a 500 round case of Remington 185 FMJ to target shoot with.

Thanks,

Jim D
Federal HST 230 +P. I also find my HK45 to be a pleasant shooting pistol.

Reactions: TheJerkman
#16 ·
As for ammo, I don't know if they still make it or not but I've got a hoard of Winchester Ranger SXT .45 230+P that I use for defense. Great stuff.
Will have to check the Federal HST 230 +P out if I can't find anymore of the Rangers.

#17 ·
+2 on the Federal HST.

Search YouTube for HST gel tests (not looking to get into an argument over the value of gel tests) and compare the HSTs against others in 45 (as well as 9) for reliability of expansion, size of expansion, penetration depth, consistency with/without clutching layers, effectiveness at standard pressure levels (more comfortable shooting vs. +P and +P+), etc. The HST is the pick of the litter in the current market, IMO. Gold dots are a close second, but all our (my and wife's) self-defense/CCW guns have HSTs in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.