HKPRO Forums banner

P30 price cut reaches the local gun store - personal experience

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  SCPK 
#1 ·
Hey Folks:

Good news. The price cut is now showing up at the local gun store. I just got home from buying a P30LS for $750. Basically, LGS showed me the email they got from HK and, in short, the LGS gets a credit from HK for reducing the retail price of their existing inventory to the new, lower price points. So, that meant the 100% German made one they had in stock. Hope this is helpful for anyone looking to capitalize on the price cut.

#3 ·
Depends entirely on whether the market decides German made guns should command higher price than US made, which would imply they are somehow more collectible or higher quality. There's plenty German guns out there already, I doubt we have any reason to believe quality would fall... I'm guessing there won't be much difference value wise.

#8 ·
I was in business for 50 years and we used lots of tools, tooling, parts, and machines. Never have I seen one of these items made in Germany beat by one made in the USA. I actually saw very few USA items that were equal in quality, most being way below German standards. When you did see or use a US made item of equal quality, it was considerably more expensive.

IMHO, guns and gun parts follow that same trend. German made is just better material, better produced, and better quality control. A great example of this is Sig Sauer. When Sig started making firearms in the US, quality and QC just went way down. Take a look at a US Sig and a German Sig and there is no comparison, German wins hands down.

My opinion is for these reasons, HK German made weapons will hold their value much better.

Jim D
SE Texas

#11 · (Edited)
Great story - As I suspected there are some "shortcuts" taken in the manufacturing of the weapons now (look at Mike @ Cross Creek's notes, no more marks on the slide now at all and the serial number is not visible and its on the barrel of the HK45 etc)

I am glad I got my HK45 and 45C German made pistols before the old German stock was depleted. If I can find a P30 to match my P30L I'll go for it, and otherwise I'll start saving up for USP's

#13 ·
I have a ‘real’ W. German ’88 P226 bought new, looked hard at the P229 SAS Gen2 to downsize/carry but never pulled the trigger (weight/button-mag). Gave it to my son and modernized with the HK P series, and never looked back.

There were no quality differences detected by the forum/owners with the HKU/USA 45’s. Note the frames were USA, so it’s more fair to say ‘Assembled in the USA’. Markings are hardly ‘shortcuts’, although I do prefer the collectability of OEM German markings.

#15 ·
I have a ‘real’ W. German ’88 P226 bought new, looked hard at the P229 SAS Gen2 to downsize/carry but never pulled the trigger (weight/button-mag). Gave it to my son and modernized with the HK P series, and never looked back.
There were no quality differences detected by the forum/owners with the HKU/USA 45’s. Note the frames were USA, so it’s more fair to say ‘Assembled in the USA’. Markings are hardly ‘shortcuts’, although I do prefer the collectability of OEM German markings.
I won't buy a German USA made handgun with the exception of the Ranger/Interarms PPK. No new SIG-Sauer's and careful selection of HK handguns (except for the USP series). No Glocks either unless I see proof marks on the frame, barrel, and slide. Not that I've ever owned a Glock, but were I buying it would have to be triple numbered with Austrian proofs, the same as SIG-Sauer, Walther, or HK.

#19 ·
Agree on the US vs. German quality and particular SIG example. I am a SIG fan but the USA made Sigs are generally feel less ... quality. The 2005 management change might have contributed to the problem as well.

I hope HK will still be able to keep the same quality when they move to USA production.

#21 ·
[ the early SIG MIM parts were not of consistent quality and recent years they are using much better S7 tool steel MIM parts]

Grumpy1,
I can understand your thoughts but what bothers me is the parts were not consistent quality but they should have been, if German they would have been. And the fact of using "much better S7 tool steel MIM parts" just doesn't do it for me. Police, military, civilians that trust their life to a firearm should not have to rely on "better parts", they should be able to rely on "THE BEST". For the price Sig gets for the supposedly quality of firearms they sell, all of those firearms should have been recalled and replaced or at least had the inferior parts replaced.

Grumpy, none of this is directed at your comments, I think you are a great asset to this forum, it's just the way I feel about making quality firearms. I've always had the choice of buying a $1000 firearm or a $300 firearm and have always went with the $1000 one for quality that I could depend on with my family and my life. I certainly hope HK does not start using lower quality parts just to sell a lower priced gun. We'll just have to sit back and watch. Thank all of you people,

Jim D
SE Texas

#22 ·
Well, I think we'll know if things have gone south if HK changes their warranty to from lifetime to 90 days. : D

Seriously though I'm optimistic. It could be just assembly in the US (not actual manufacturing, as I believe another poster suggested) or perhaps the price cut is just due to efficiencies in production in Germany. I've read some research on Glock that described how one of the reasons they were able to dominate the handgun market is that they leapfrogged the manufacturing tech of competitors who were saddled with legacy processes and equipment. If you are HK with high standards, I'd imagine there could be some resistance inside the company to changing tried and true (but expensive) processes. I appreciate German craftsmanship, but there probably is some real room for efficiency. There was a famous study from MIT a number of years back that compared Lexus to BMW and Audi (if I recall), and found that BMW and Audi spent more time/money on QA than Lexus did building the entire car! Lexus makes pretty nice car! : D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.