USP .40 Refurbish Project, AB date code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: USP .40 Refurbish Project, AB date code

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default USP .40 Refurbish Project, AB date code

USP .40 Refurbish Project, AB date code-hkusp40.jpg

I have decided to refurbish and rebuild my trusty old USP .40 that I bought new back around 2002. It still has all the original parts and is still reliable (as of the last time I fired it 3 years ago). I have shot the snot out of it over the years and it has outlasted many other pistols that came and went. I CCW'ed it for many years (a bit of a challenge) and then relegated it to home duty with a UTL II light attached. I can't say how many rounds have been through it, but for the first few years there were many months where I put around 1000 rounds down the tube. Now, sadly, it is a safe queen that just sits around, except for cleanings.

I intend to move it back into use for indoor home defense duty and as the standard sidearm in my 72-hour bug out kit. While I love my P2000 and my J-Frame for CCW duties, in my mind nothing really has taken the place of the USP line in the "all-business handgun tank" category.

So far, for this rehab I have purchased:

• New HK USP .40 Tactical threaded barrel
    • 2 New Jet Funnel mags to complement the older existing ones.
    • New mag springs for the older mags.
    • New ambi decocking/safety lever to replace V1 lever.
    • New Streamlight TLR-4 to replace the old UTL II.
    • New Primary and Secondary Buffer Recoil Springs
    • New Extractor Spring
    • Match Trigger Return Spring and related installation tool
    • Match Hammer (old style)
    • Enhanced Firing Pin block spring (Lazy Wolf Guns)
    • Light Hammer Spring
    • New O-rings (bought a few, always loosing those things).
    • Match Flat Nickel Plated Sear Spring

Phew. I will be taking my time and getting this all installed by myself. I have an armorer's manual somewhere... I will be digging it up. I might have questions, so I will be back here. I also hope to post pics when the parts get in.

• If you can think of anything I ought to look into replacing on this old workhorse, let me know and I will see about adding it to the list.
    • Further, I will eventually be looking at suppressors for home defense use, so if you have ideas there, let me know.
    • Then I will need new holsters and mag carriers for the bug out kit... lots to consider there as well.

Many Thanks,

Pablo

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

Pablo,

Sounds like an excellent project--- I would go 9mm/.45 ACP on a survival sidearm--- more ammunition in these calibers to be found in the apocalypse!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That will practically be a new pistol when you are done! Has the accuracy suffered any with all the rounds down the pipe?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AGG,

Thanks, but no plans on changing caliber now. I got .40 in the hundreds of pounds put back in various locations and tons of reloading equipment to make more, so I don't plan on scavenging. If I do have to, last time scarcity hit, .40 was everywhere on the shelves here and 9mm and .45 was not to be found except at very high prices. I figure what you find scavenging is the luck of the draw anyway, and I don't like planning on luck... hence a stockpile.
    Last edited by PSH11HK; 02-21-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    Superzuki likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

werra, I would say it has, it is still acceptable, but not a tack driver like it was. That might be me not practicing as often and having 15+ year older eyes.
    Last edited by PSH11HK; 02-21-2018 at 09:30 AM. Reason: include original poster name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PabloHoney View Post
    werra, I would say it has, it is still acceptable, but not a tack driver like it was. That might be me not practicing as often and having 15+ year older eyes.
    Unfortunately, I know what you mean. Old eyes here too.

Maybe, you could swap between the old and new barrels to see if there is any difference. Might be interesting to see the difference.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PabloHoney View Post
    AGG,

Thanks, but no plans on changing caliber now. I got .40 in the hundreds of pounds put back in various locations and tons of reloading equipment to make more, so I don't plan on scavenging. If I do have to, last time scarcity hit, .40 was everywhere on the shelves here and 9mm and .45 was not to be found except at very high prices. I figure what you find scavenging is the luck of the draw anyway, and I don't like planning on luck... hence a stockpile.
    Or this--- a better plan!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Good luck with the project, will be interesting to see how it feels all dressed up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pablo,
    If you begin to upgrade parts, maybe do one at a time. Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2324 View Post
    Pablo,
    If you begin to upgrade parts, maybe do one at a time. Just my 2 cents.
    I am going to do set of upgrades at a time, function check- then shoot at the range. Then the next set. I too am not wanting to try and chase down which of the changes might of introduced a problem. I am keeping the old parts labeled and put back for emergency use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links