HKPRO Forums banner

I thought the VP9SK felt good in hand until*****

7K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  scratch67 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought my VP9SK felt good in my hand until I received the new 13rnd extended magazines for it. Man what a difference. They feel like someone took a mold of my hand and custom fitted them, they're awesome. Makes me want to get a VP40SK when available. I wasn't aware how different mags/mag bases could make so much of a difference.

Jim D
SE Texas

#4 · (Edited)
The 13 round mag is a game changer. When I got my VP9 I loved it but I just can't conceal a full size that much of the time so I wanted HK to release an SK version sooooo badly, but when they finally did last year I balked because it was basically the grip size of a G19 with the capacity of a G26 that became the size of a G17 with the 10 round pinky extension...it was like a bad joke.

Then I saw the 13/15 round SK magazine announcement and dry fired one at the store again...sold, and ordered the 13 round mags immediately. Then I shot it, a lot...and went all in. The 13 round mag turns it into a slide/barrel/sight radius just a tad longer than a G26, with a G19 size grip that holds an acceptable 13, which is not a bad trade when you get the VP series ergonomics and trigger out of it.

So, I have switched my favorite, go-to, overall preference away from 9mm Glocks (which held that title, unchallenged, since I started shooting in 2005), to the VP9/VP9SK. Thankfully I consolidated on 9mm for the most part so the lack of caliber/cartridge choices isn't a big deal. I still supplement the really small with other guns since these are only double stack, but that was true with the Glocks as well (never even bought a G42/43).

The VP9SK with 13 round mag just feels right. It points naturally, the trigger is great, and the front sight tracks straight under recoil allowing very fast shooting without risk of the group pushing laterally (ahem, looking at you Glock-left). And when shooting less fast, or slowly, it's a freaking laser beam (within the context of a compact/sub compact factory stock striker pistol with close range defensive sights featuring an oversize front sight, Trij HD). And it shoots perfectly straight with the sights perfectly centered on the slide, no adjustment needed, same as the full size VP9, unlike the G's where I always on every single one had to drift the rear sight to the right to get a center POI.

I carry it with the 13 round mag, and usually a spare flush 10 round (spare goes in pocket, smaller is better)

With G19

In Stealth Gear holster for full size VP9 (fits perfectly). I have 1,670 rounds through this one.

Because two is one and I can't have a primary, go-to carry gun without having a spare (it now wears Trij HD sights too)

#5 · (Edited)
Yeah the 13 round magazine works great in the P30SK. Sadly the state I live in now wants to ban any magazine over 10 rounds and no grandfathering of those already legally owned. :(

This post has been deleted
#9 · (Edited)
I don't think 13 vs 15 rounds would or will hold it back from that. The Glocks have too much inertia, too much market saturation, are just too entrenched. And so reliable, so durable, so easy to work on yourself.

The VP series is what I"m moving too because of the ergonomics and trigger and just plain old shoot-it-better, and I can afford the more expensive (and less available) accessories and mags and having multiples in case I get one full of sand and grit etc and have to find a pro to clean it out. Otherwise, well, you know.

Here's a VP9SK Super Test shot quite quickly for 288/300 (times for each distance on the target, 10 shots per distance 5-10-15 yards)

Shooting the VP9SK is the best part about it

#16 · (Edited)
Reactions: Warp
#17 · (Edited)
Well, they say no one pistol is perfect and I'm sure this is true because of peoples likes & dislikes. BUT FOR ME, it's the most perfect pistol I've ever owned coupled with the extended 13rnd magazines. I'll tell a few reasons for my thoughts. #1, and probably the most single important, I trust this pistol with my life and my families life. I can say that about a very few pistols but another is the great USP compact but it just doesn't feel as good.
#2, I love the trigger pull weight for a carry weapon. I've shot lighter & heavier triggers but out of the box meaning no added extra expense, it's perfect for me to carry and shoot. #3, the ergonomics are just perfect to me and make a fine looking firearm plus easy to handle and shoot accurately. #4, excellent customer support and service when needed. I have 6 HK's now and have had many more and knock on wood, I've never had to use customer service and that's the best of all. #6, and very minor, I like colored or cerakoted guns vs. the plain black. Both my FS VP & my VP SK are Grey framed and at a glance, I don't get them confused with any other pistols I own.
As another poster noted, I'll give up 2 or 3 rounds for such a fine made weapon. In my opinion, if I don't have the job done in 3 to 8 rounds, I'm in a serious condition.
This is just my opinion on one fine firearm and I'm sure others may agree or disagree, to each his own. One HK that I have not had in my hands is a P30 SK & I'm interested in how it compares.

Thank all of you,

Jim D
SE Texas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.