Need some schooling on the P30
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need some schooling on the P30

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Need some schooling on the P30

I've been looking for a new handgun as a general family gun. Something that my wife and all the kids will learn to shoot and eventually be given one. Range work, carry and competition for me and any of the kids hat want to try it. As much as I love USP's the USP9 is a bit too large for the women especially for carry. One of the requirement for the gun is a manual safety. All my other handguns have it and my wife will simply not shoot one with out it. I was considering an other brand that had a compact and a duty size that operate the same and can take the same mags and have the safety. I had never thought about HK only because all I have ever had are USP's and of course the compact and the full size take different mags. Plus they are not cheap. I never thought about hte P30 because I never owned one. Well I checked one out at the LGS today. P30S may fit the bill.

Here are my questions.

USP's are as durable as can be when it comes to a handgun. How do they compare to P30s? As durable? Close?

Any other info I should know?

Thanks!
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    --Samuel Adams

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    TLOU_Joel likes this.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

This is interesting as I have never considered the “one gun for the family” type philosophy. The wife sleeps with a Kimber, I a USPc .45 (but carry a USPc .357Sig) and the kid is proficient with her Browning Buckmark for now (she’s young). That said, the P30 would be a solid choice thinking about it if there is such a thing as one gun fits all (I’d personally choose the USPc). If you you must have the safety then yes, the p30s makes sense, though it would be a DA/SA and would the kids have issue (don’t know their age) with the DA trigger pull? It is as durable as any other in my experience, plus the benefit of interchangeable side panels and backstrap to adjust for grip, though the USPc LEM is my favorite of the kind in the line up; just something about it checks all the boxes. The kids grow up quickly and will become proficient with anything you throw at them with practice, so what do you and the wife feel most confident/comfortable with I guess is the question. Good luck and carry on.
    ”What do you want to discuss now, my favorite color?”–Col. Nathan R. Jessup

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A P30LS V1 in 9mm may fit your requirements if you are able to locate one. It has the ambi-safety, but with a light LEM instead of DA/SA. No durability worries whatsoever with the P30 (or any other HK!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can’t recommend reading that pistol training article enough. Great info in there and it lead me to buy a P30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Might check into the P2000 or P2000sk as well.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Of course they don't! I have only owned USP's and MK23's for the last 20+ years. No experience with the new fangled stuff.

Thanks for the first link. I had not seen it. Late last night I found the second thread.
    Last edited by kong; 03-31-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

The same warranty/reliability as all HK's .
    NRA Certified RSO

Be where your feet are

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HK12Step View Post
    This is interesting as I have never considered the “one gun for the family” type philosophy. The wife sleeps with a Kimber, I a USPc .45 (but carry a USPc .357Sig) and the kid is proficient with her Browning Buckmark for now (she’s young). That said, the P30 would be a solid choice thinking about it if there is such a thing as one gun fits all (I’d personally choose the USPc). If you you must have the safety then yes, the p30s makes sense, though it would be a DA/SA and would the kids have issue (don’t know their age) with the DA trigger pull? It is as durable as any other in my experience, plus the benefit of interchangeable side panels and backstrap to adjust for grip, though the USPc LEM is my favorite of the kind in the line up; just something about it checks all the boxes. The kids grow up quickly and will become proficient with anything you throw at them with practice, so what do you and the wife feel most confident/comfortable with I guess is the question. Good luck and carry on.
    I have lots of different handguns and the "kids" are free to try shooting any of them. My sons are over 18 but daughters aren't. The idea is something I can eventually get all of them and we can have common mags, spare parts etc. and go shooting together. They all have Colt 6920's in one flavor or another also. I would love to buy MR556's for everyone but the wife would kill me with one of them.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The p30 is a great pistol, and as you know now it's unlikely you will shoot enough rounds through it to wear it out. Probably never even need to change the recoil spring. The trigger is not the best, but I find it easy to learn and very easy to shoot incredibly accurately with. The p30 is great because you could eventually have the p30, p30sk, and p30L and have all your bases covered with the same gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links