.40 - P30 or VP40?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: .40 - P30 or VP40?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .40 - P30 or VP40?

Looking for a .40 caliber pistol. I currently own a VP9, and .45 Tactical. Does anyone on this
    handgun forum own a P30 in .40, or a VP40? Which one is your favorite, and why? Thanks

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Love my P30 in .40 but it has trigger work done....my vp40 was t!ts right out of the box. Both are bad a$$ guns so you can’t go wrong...but trigger on the vp40 will be better.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    leadcounsel likes this.
    I can still count my hk's with one hand....I just gotta start over once or twice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

It really is all about personal preference. I was dead set on getting a p30 .40 when I got back into shooting. I had a seller lined up and everything. I went to a local range, that had it, and the vp40 and both 9mm variants available for rent. 100 rounds into shooting the p30, I swapped out for a 9mm. Still didnt like the trigger so I tried a vp40. Too flippy for my tastes. Ended up getting a VP9 and I loved it til the day that I sold it.
    Its hard to gauge, until you hold one, pull that trigger, and feel it go off in your hand.
    I'd owned a USP 40, and I figured the p30 would be exactly the same. NOT. The trigger pull was..... well, for ME, it was like "I'm pulling it, I'm pulling it, when's it gonna go off? When's it gonna go off? When is this thing gonna...BOOM!" Both calibers were the v3s DA/SA with safeties.
    The P30 is a great pistol. And I still want to get one eventually. Tho for carry, it's VP9 for me. My target re-aquisition is much quicker in 9mil, the trigger is short, effortless until you hit the wall, then all it takes is a bit more of a tap to send jacketed lead down the pipe.
    I am almost hesitant to say it, but I think the slide buck is a tad bit better on the VP, possibly because of the internals with the p30 running down into the hand grip, but that could be a personal thing also.

However, if you have any reservations about having a pistol with no additional safety measures, other than a hammer that has to hit a firing pin, go with the 30.
    But, my recommendation, try them both. Only you can tell which you will like better. ;)
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you think you may ever want a P30 in .40, now may be the time to spring for it. I have heard that HK may be discontinuing the P30 in that caliber. You can always get a VP40 later. Admit it: sooner or later you'll probably want both.
    In a world of compromise, some procrastinate.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

P30 with the 357 Sig Conversion Barrel is the bomb.
    DarkeWolf and wallew like this.
    For Those About To Rock, We Salute You! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have both; I obtained the VP40 first, and then my P30L in V1 LEM, so there's a similarity in triggerpull weight (and for me, sights-both of mine have the Meprolight sights) between the two. They're both excellent. I carry the P30L more, but that's due more to the LEM that I prefer in a duty/threat management gun. The slide release shelf in the P30 is more protrusive and easier to use, but that said I've never fluffed using the VP40's slide release. The P30's receiver surface treatment is more sandpapery, and may grab at some clothes (and may induce some accelerated wear with some fabrics), but that's a pretty minor consideration-both treatments work quite well in anchoring your hands.

Both are excellent. Try both, as others have mentioned. With the new P30 price reductions, they should actually be relatively close in price, so you really can make a decision based on your preference/performance regarding the individual platforms without price being a factor.

And the nice thing is that they both use the same magazines-so if you eventually decide to get both, you simultaneously increase your magazine count availability for both.

Best, Jon
    leadcounsel likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My vote would be the VP40. But to clarify, I am a striker fired kind of guy. I love to shoot my VP40, and it’s so easy to carry as well for me. I don’t get much flip with mine either. Whichever you chose, enjoy the 40!
    leadcounsel likes this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The VP40's heavy (well, heavier than the VP9) slide and well matched flatwire recoil spring do a superb job of managing the .40 recoil/recoil impulse. HK .40s in general are my choice for that caliber.

Best, Jon
    leadcounsel likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have two in .40 cal; a P30s and a P30 light LEM I just got. Wow what a difference the LEM trigger makes. I want to convert all my HKs to LEM!!

The SA/DA pull in the P30s is the worst compared to my 45c and .40 USPc but that LEM is the sweetest of all!
    leadcounsel likes this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by docent View Post
    Looking for a .40 caliber pistol. I currently own a VP9, and .45 Tactical. Does anyone on this
    handgun forum own a P30 in .40, or a VP40? Which one is your favorite, and why? Thanks
    I'm in the same boat you are,,,P30 or VP40? I wanted a VP40, with the gray frame.
    Then it was the P30 in 40S&W. I have a P320 compact in 40 and I do like striker fired pistols so it'll probably be the VP40 (with a gray frame if I can find one)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links