VP70z with stamped serial number on slide...any ideas?

Thread: VP70z with stamped serial number on slide...any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VP70z with stamped serial number on slide...any ideas?

I wanted to complete the trio of classic H&K pistols so I picked up a VP70z (I already had a P9S and a P7). This one has a Wolff trigger spring in it which makes the trigger pull better than I expected (it's not night and day different from my FN FS2000) but what struck me as odd when I received the pistol was that the serial number is stamped near the top of the slide, and not printed on the side. The slide looks to have been refinished–it's done quite well with a nice dark dull finish but it was done after the import marks and the stamped serial number were applied. I'll be honest–if you look at the left side of the slide and the barrel through the ejection port it looks like the original serial number has been removed. I don't think this was stolen or anything–all handguns in Canada are continuously registered from the time they're imported and my registration information matches the stamped serial number. I'm just curious if anyone's seen one like this before or has any theories.

Last edited by Dragonfly; 04-13-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had it it shooting and it shot pretty well—I tried to "stage" the trigger in the second group of shots below.

Any ideas on the stamped serial number?

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

I am not a VP70Z expert and have no data on these--- interesting that the proof marks, serial number, and date are stamped where they are!!!
    Is the barrel serialized the same?

Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The barrel looks to me like the serial number has been removed.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    The barrel looks to me like the serial number has been removed.
    The date code on the barrel is "IC" (1982), while the right rear frame is dated "85"!!!

Tony

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

After cursory research, here are my findings:

Markings (the "serial number" stamped would place it as an Arlington import)
    Manufacturing date (the "serial number" stamped should be in the IE/1984 range, as there were sporadic, Arlington imports on some models--- 85 would definitely be a Chantilly import)
    Left Slide (the serial number should be of a different font and located above the Ulm proof mark)
    Right barrel (the serial number should be above the date code)

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the research, Tony! If you have a look at the left side of mine it looks like the serial number has been removed prior to refinishing—have a look below. Look specifically at the horizontal "step" in the slide—it looks to me like it was flattened a little...maybe during the same process. I also wonder if the "85" on the right side of the slide is not a date stamp but an aborted attempt to stamp the serial number.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Thanks for the research, Tony! If you have a look at the left side of mine it looks like the serial number has been removed prior to refinishing—have a look below. Look specifically at the horizontal "step" in the slide—it looks to me like it was flattened a little...maybe during the same process. I also wonder if the "85" on the right side of the slide is not a date stamp but an aborted attempt to stamp the serial number.
    The vertical marks are where the serial number should be!!!
    After further research, the entire left slide engraving appears to be off to the right of where later known samples are--- though 85689 is an exact match!!!

Tony
    Last edited by AGG; 04-26-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Sponsored Links