HK USP 9mm Full Size - Decocker/Safety All Messed Up - Not Sure How To Fix?

Thread: HK USP 9mm Full Size - Decocker/Safety All Messed Up - Not Sure How To Fix?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK USP 9mm Full Size - Decocker/Safety All Messed Up - Not Sure How To Fix?

For some reason my safety/decocker won't go down, when it does with more force it feels super gritty. Sometimes it will refuse to go down entirely.

The rest of the firearm functions 100% fine. I gave it a really solid cleaning and no luck.

I added a drop or two of Wilson Combat lite oil to the metal bracket where the safety/decocker is at hoping that would lube things up, no luck.

Firearm frame was cerakoted professionally, and I am the 1st owner. Have a compact from the same cerakote/company with no issues. Don't want to send to HK and deal with denial of warranty, even though the frame was just cerakoted.

This one prob has 3000+ rounds through it.

Are there any guides out there that deal in removing this part and replacing it?

Should I just lube it more or soak the area with cleaner?

I feel there might be something, like crud stick in the metal area. :( I don't see anything but below that, might be sand, pocket lint, etc. I daily carried it for 2 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Edit found answers:

do not detail strip your firearm!!!!! as this may void your warranty. i have had this issue on two of my HK's. more than likely, the detent plate is mishapen or a little rough-edged. dis-assemble the gun as if you were doing a normal cleaning. you should have 5 pieces in front of you, six if you include the mag. now, on your frame, look at the safety, and look above that where it should say 2+1 or something like that. that piece your looking at with those numbers on it is your detent plate. now look in the center of that piece, where the black peg or dot runs inside as you work the safety. on the interior part of the detent where it looks like one or two consecutive little hills, that's where you have an issue. go from fire to safe, the first "hill" that your "peg" tries to "climb" is where you have a rough spot or it's completely mis-shaped. i had this issue first on my uspc 40cal, and then on my uspf 45. call hk customer service and tell them the issue and they should send you a free detent plate so you can have installed. or, if you do not have a qualified armorer, send it back to them and have hk change out the detent plate. this should cost you nothing because it is a quality control issue. i have made hk customer sevice aware of the situation and they said they would pass it up to whoever is in charge of QC..... before you send it back, make sure you clean and lube the gun real well, to make sure it just wasn't getting stuck because you hadn't cleaned properly. i personally put about two drops of oil on the detent plate and work it in to get the oil between the frame and the detent plate. once you rule out improper cleaning, then you'll know it's the detent plate. good luck!!!!

+

When this happened to mine I was told to use grease. I didn't have any so I tried oil, the stuff I was told would not work. It did help a little but it still had a few spots that felt rough/gritty and it would get stuck every couple of tries. When I finally applied the grease(after cleaning out the oil) I slowly jiggled the decock lever to work it in. After about five minutes of messing with it the decock started working like new. I can no longer tell which USPc it happened to. What caused this entire problem was extreme cleaning. I swear I sterilized the entire pistol. Depending on how deeply it was cleaned might be the deciding factor if the oil will fix it or if it needs grease. I would try the oil and see if that works since you already have it. If it doesn't then it is grease time. One thing is for sure, it isn't a bad part issue because it worked fine until you cleaned it. From the pics posted the pin appears to be in the correct position. Which leaves the only possible problem a lubrication issue. Hope you get it fixed soon, I was pretty bummed when mine did this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)

The Black peg or dot mentioned in your post is called the Sear Axle. It holds the Sear, Catch, Control Latch, and Disconnector together inside the frame.

But didn't your Safety/Control Lever work properly prior to being detail stripped for the Cerakote job? If it did, then the Detent Plate is not your culprit because if it was the detent plate, you would have this same issue since day one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was working 100% after the cerakote. I put at least 3000 rounds through it with no issues.

I just dissembled everything but the trigger and gave it a solid cleaning. I noticed the spring by the safe/control lever kept getting stuck. It doesn't shoot out, leaving me to believe there's something like dirt/gunk stuck inside of the frame. So I put a bunch of CLP in there, used a Q-tip, shook it around, etc. Then resembled.

No luck. The safety kept getting stuck when I try to put in safe or decock. It doesn't feel gritty anymore, but it's literally hitting something like it was before. I feel like it's getting caught on something, like it's hitting the frame and stopping. I can get it work if I apply a ton of force, like putting the safety against the edge of a table, but my fingers can't move it.

I even tried Wilson Combat grease and tried to work the kink loose, but again no luck.

Looks like it has to get sent back to HK, because I'm out of options here. :( hopefully they will fix it under the warranty?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)

How did you reinstall the Safety/Control Lever and the other parts (Detent Plate, Slide Plate, Slide Plate Spring)?

No offense but another pair of eyes can help verify that everything was re-installed correctly.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bwell View Post
    Looks like it has to get sent back to HK, because I'm out of options here. :( hopefully they will fix it under the warranty?

Out of options? Never!

I'd take it apart again, paying attention to exactly what is supposed to happen when the safety is applied, and what is NOT happening when the safety is applied. There's no penalty if you take a do-over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    How did you reinstall the Safety/Control Lever and the other parts (Detent Plate, Slide Plate, Slide Plate Spring)?

No offense but another pair of eyes can help verify that everything was re-installed correctly.
    There is a really nice disassembly and separate reassembly video on Youtube that goes into great detail.

I followed it precisely, took quite awhile. I'm 100% confident everything was put back 100%.

I was honestly expecting far more parts to the USP. But I'm glad I had the chance to take it all apart.

Parts all looked to be in good condition.

Same problem is occurring as before, so it's not due to an installation error.

Tug
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

If I had a dime for every time I saw a pistol that did not work after cerakote I could retire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got it working again...

I had to let the CLP and Wilson Combat grease work it's magic over night. It's not as smooth as butter, but it functions normally again. I think with repeated use it should smoothen out as the grease works its way in deeper to the bottom interior of the frame area.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)

What I would do is take out the Detent Plate, polish the side that is rubbing on the frame, put some grease on that side, and reinstall it.

Sponsored Links