Just exactly how robust is the P7 series? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Just exactly how robust is the P7 series?

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

This is a cool thread. @kallotterg , I'll have to remember you in case I ever need a new cylinder haha!

I'm new to the P7 (maybe 3yrs) and the only parts I've had fail on me were an action spring, a transmission lever, a seer spring, and a rocker spring. They were all in the two M13s that are my shooters and I purchased them used with already untold round count. I had only put a few hundred rounds through them when things started breaking so I'm sure I'm in for more in the near future.

Unless a third party picks up the slack I'm afraid at some point parts scarcity may limit how much I'm able to shoot these pistols. I have a decent stockpile but it won't last forever. As far as the question posed in the thread title, I think on the spectrum of robustness relative to other designs the P7, for all its wondrous attributes, is nowhere near the top. Too many little watch parts to break. As much as I love them and carry one, I would choose something else if TS was to HTF.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks (I think) for the mention Elvis. Still trying to keep on topic, I think that the P7 is more robust than we are giving it credit. Yes a few particular parts tend to fail but remember these three things: First we are talking about high round counts that most firearms never see, Second, the piston or the bushing or the drop catch never prevented my pistols from firing (full auto is still firing), Third one that no one recognizes is that because of the squeeze cock action the P7 gets dry fired many more times than any other semi-auto. So the actual round count is somewhat cloudy.

WRT to the drop catch, my opinion is that the procedure of de-cocking by virtue of releasing the squeeze puts a lot of stress on that safety and I believe hastens its demise.

I was lucky in that in all my P7 shooting I never had any other spring break than the drop catch.

Lastly and to me most important...I did carry and USE a P7 M8 for over 20 years. TSHTF several times and because the P7 did it's job flawlessly, I am typing this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome stuff kallotterg! I agree.......I think these guns are more robust than they get credit for. I've broken a fair number of drop safety springs but I've dry fired the bajeepers out of my shooter M13s. I'm going to keep running mine until I run out of spare parts......I hope I have enough to last a lifetime.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raydoctor View Post
    I appreciate the thread summary.

My hope was to get an idea of what parts people have "first hand knowledge" of breaking and their occurrence.

Like I said in the original post.......if the mods think it's dumb, superfluous, redundant, etc. then turn this thread into a pile of ash. I just though it might be interesting to get first hand accounts instead the echo of what people have heard and passed on.

Not to be argumentative but the thread describe first hand accounts of actual owners stating suggested part replacements.

Nothing in the P7 design nor owner experiences have changed in the last oh, 30 yrs.

So how is it different now?
    Last edited by airforce1; 06-20-2018 at 12:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Once again, my intention was for people to give a first hand account of what parts they've experienced failures with........I'm not particularly interested in what parts people recommend stockpiling (I used it as an example as a typical questioned I see asked). A lot threads I see don't mention how many rounds people have through they're gun(s) and their actual incidence of particular parts breaking. That's why I actually posted a picture of some of the parts....some of them have broken in different spots and some in similar spots. Personally, I thought it might be an interesting thread and I thought some others might too. I agree that the basic P7 design has remained similar......although for instance, I think some might argue that older models/years might be more robust.....I don't know. I also agree that owner experience is similar.....although I think fewer people run the guns as hard now as in the past for multiple reasons including the fact HK no longer supports them.

Let me reiterate, if the mods think this thread isn't of any interest or value.....then kill it. You're welcome to flag it for the mods if you like....it won't hurt my feelings at all.
    Gwmcgee likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My 4 P7 M8s.

2 went down under light use. One broke the left mag release, one broke the squeeze cocking assembly. I ran any other HK harder with less problems.

P7 M8 is a neat idea in some ways but I never want another one for use.

I shoot P30 V1 LEM 9mm 10,000+ rounds a year and shoot P2000SK LEM 9mm, USP 45s and USP9s a lot with much less problems.

YMMV.
    dobe likes this.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Firing pin.
    Firing pin spring.
    Firing pin bushing.
    Extractor.
    Extractor spring.
    Gas piston.
    Gas piston retaining pin.
    (slide mounted items.)

I have not heard of a lot of problem with the squeeze cocking mechanism.

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

P7’s are very solids and were built like a tank. I’ve got one and it shoots like a dream. Not hiccups or other issues, it all depends on how use or heating up your gun is.
    Yotecallr likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    My 4 P7 M8s.

2 went down under light use. One broke the left mag release, one broke the squeeze cocking assembly. I ran any other HK harder with less problems.

P7 M8 is a neat idea in some ways but I never want another one for use.

I shoot P30 V1 LEM 9mm 10,000+ rounds a year and shoot P2000SK LEM 9mm, USP 45s and USP9s a lot with much less problems.

YMMV.
    Similar experience. I had 4 M8s,down to three. They are nice novelty guns, but I wouldn't buy another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dobe

“We used to carry knives,” he said. “Now we have to carry keys.” ; China Fences In Its Nomads and an Ancient Life
    Withers; Andrew Jacobs; New York Times July 15 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I must have jinxed myself! Stripped my shooters down getting ready for a class last weekend and had to replace a firing pin bushing on one gun and the the firing pin return spring one another. Both guns seemed to be running fine prior to breaking them down. I guess the good news is that both ran fine over the weekend (~1000 rounds) with no drama despite it being hot as hell outside both days!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links