P30 frame work (grip, trigger trench, etc)

Thread: P30 frame work (grip, trigger trench, etc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question P30 frame work (grip, trigger trench, etc)

Apologies in advance, I'm sure this has been covered a million times. Unfortunately grips modifications for all HK pistols, grip panels and frame work have all been discussed 381 million times and my Search-Fu isn't getting me anywhere.

I'm looking to have the finger grooves and trigger trench removed from a couple of P30s. I'm guessing some stipple/retexture work will be involved as well. I'm struggling to find reputable people who will do it. My understanding is that Greyguns doesn't do it and Lazy Wolf farms it out.

So I've got:
    Bowie Tactical (Who has made negative remarks regarding at least the P30, if not H&K in general, but is known for good work.)
    Cold Bore Customs
    Enhanced Precision Products (Fowler Industries)

Am I missing anyone good? Has anyone had any positive experiences with the ones I've listed?

I strongly dislike sending a couple $900 pistols out for frame work, but it is what it is.

Any advice/input would be appreciated.

If anyone has pictures, that'd be lovely as well. Some of the more promising threads had broken images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FastSS View Post
    Apologies in advance, I'm sure this has been covered a million times. Unfortunately grips modifications for all HK pistols, grip panels and frame work have all been discussed 381 million times and my Search-Fu isn't getting me anywhere.

I'm looking to have the finger grooves and trigger trench removed from a couple of P30s. I'm guessing some stipple/retexture work will be involved as well. I'm struggling to find reputable people who will do it. My understanding is that Greyguns doesn't do it and Lazy Wolf farms it out.

So I've got:
    Bowie Tactical (Who has made negative remarks regarding at least the P30, if not H&K in general, but is known for good work.)
    Cold Bore Customs
    Enhanced Precision Products (Fowler Industries)

Am I missing anyone good? Has anyone had any positive experiences with the ones I've listed?

I strongly dislike sending a couple $900 pistols out for frame work, but it is what it is.

Any advice/input would be appreciated.

If anyone has pictures, that'd be lovely as well. Some of the more promising threads had broken images.
    Just curious... why would you do that? They’re your firearms, I guess you can do whatever you like to them (provided no one is endangered, duh). If it were me, I would sell and get USPs or P2000s if I felt that strongly about the finger groves.

Not criticizing, just trying to understand. I guess weakening the poly frame (by removing material) isn’t something I’d be eager to do, but you have to assess your own tolerance for such things. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Robar in Phoenix

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

rough grit sandpaper, then really fine grit sand paper. Then about half an hour or so of intense elbow grease. Then a drop or two of remington remoil to work it in and soak in.
    As for the stipling, do you mean the grips, or the actual frame?
    If it's the grips, all you need to send out are the panels. And you can get replacement panels if it turns out that you don't like what you get back.
    If it's the actual frame, that you're looking for.... I haven't had any personal dealings with these guys here in KS, but they're close by, and I see their shop often. And their site shows some really good work. Tho TBH, I tried contacting them about a FFL and transfer, and I never could reach them.
    Gun Factory LLC, Kansas City 913-220-8944
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WmGardner View Post
    Just curious... why would you do that? They’re your firearms, I guess you can do whatever you like to them (provided no one is endangered, duh). If it were me, I would sell and get USPs or P2000s if I felt that strongly about the finger groves.

Not criticizing, just trying to understand. I guess weakening the poly frame (by removing material) isn’t something I’d be eager to do, but you have to assess your own tolerance for such things. :)
    Longish story. I've carried a USP Compact for roughly 15 years and, while we get along wonderfully, I want things out of that package that I can't realistically get.

Just for info:

Bowie Tactical - David wants me to send him my M&P. I know, everyone is shocked. He said he could flatten the finger groves on the P30 to some extent. As of no he wants me to call him and talk it over. I'm not going to waste his time with a phone call until I have a better understanding of the rest of the options and I've decided that I absolutely want to proceed.

Cold Bore Customs - I liked their texture options. A common theme will develop here; Lane wasn't keen on the idea of flattening the finger grooves. He didn't give me a price and referred me to Grayguns. I replied to his email to ask how much he'd charge just for texturing, but the email was returned stating that the message couldn't be delivered. I'll reach out to Grayguns as well. (Edit to add: Despite the bounced email notification, they got back to me. *shrug*)

Enhanced Precision Products (Now Fowler Industries) - They were only comfortable with a texture job and referred me to Boresight Solutions or GNP Tactical

When I get some down time, I'll reach out to Robar (thanks AZ1984, forgot about them), Gun Factory (thanks DarkeWolf), Grayguns, Boresight Solutions, and GNP Tactical.

Apparently the frames on these things are pretty thin, and they aren't as molestable as Glocks or M&Ps. Bummer, but it is what it is. I may try to tackle the Trigger Trench myself and see how it turns out since it is the only thing absolutely identified as a no-go at this point. If I just grind the edges off a bit, I can probably get a good feel for whether or not I want to pay someone to make it professional.
    Last edited by FastSS; 07-13-2018 at 05:19 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

FastSS- I kind of thought that you were going to have a hard time finding somebody willing to take up the trench in the trigger guard. LOL I think I'm just gonna start calling that the TGT (Trigger Guard Trench). The trigger guard isn't a particularly thick area of the pistol, and I can see some folks thinking that they might weaken it too much, to take responsibility for.
    Hence the reason that I suggested the sand papering.
    I would definitely recommend checking your depth tho, when you're doing it. Don't try to get rid of all of them all at once. Go too deep and you might compromise the integrity of the guard. (This comes to me NOW, rather than why I made the original post, of course!)
    Also be careful of how much of the guard you take off, if you are using a synthetic holster. They use the guard as the primary contact point, as well as the area with the most retention on the weapon.

Now, personal curiosity kicks in. I'm honestly wondering what it would be like to shorten the trigger some, and then Fill IN the TGT with something like JBweld or something similar. I do know that a shorter trigger would INcrease the "felt" pull weight, but I'm still wondering....

LOL Anyways...good luck, and happy shooting!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

My understanding is that Greyguns doesn't do it and Lazy Wolf farms it out.
    source on this? many people here on hkpro as well as other forums have had lazywolf work done and report good results, this is the first i've heard of the work being outsourced

Longish story. I've carried a USP Compact for roughly 15 years and, while we get along wonderfully, I want things out of that package that I can't realistically get.
    what are you 'missing' from the USP that made you switch to the P30?

I'm looking to have the finger grooves and trigger trench removed from a couple of P30s
    have you swapped around various combinations of side and back grip panels? some people prefer to run asymmetrical side panels based on dominant hand orientation, some people run small back panel and large sides, etc

for the trigger guard, how is your finger placement and trigger pull movement? make sure you have centered finger-pad placement on the trigger, and see if your finger still gets 'caught'. If you have steve vai length fingers ... you might be sol

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...er-finger.html
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...ger-pinch.html

if you want to stick with the P30, try one of the grip wraps (hogue, limbsavers, or custom make some diy), or grip-tape rings around the finger grooves before having someone irreversibly grind+stipple the frame.

P30 frame work (grip, trigger trench, etc)-61sfyyvl0kl._sx466_.jpg

if that doesn't work, despite the HK trash talk, Bowie claims to do everything you want and lots of people on hkpro have had work done - here's an example thread of hk45 and p30 rework, and a 'bowie' p30 just popped up for sale too
    Last edited by waz0wski; 07-12-2018 at 03:42 AM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FastSS,

If you want a retexturing of an HK USP/USP Compact/P30/P30L, etc., I would very highly and very enthusiastically recommend Mr. Logan Fowler at Fowler Industries (listed as Enhanced Precision Products on this board). The lowest abrasion version is the “carry” texture, and it feels amazing, and is the most comfortable I have ever come across in sampling the work of nearly all the vendors you mentioned in person at the local Gun Shows. You can even tell him you want “Jonathan L.’s modification" which covers the sharp edge protrusion under the magazine release. Everything you need to know about Fowler Industries is written up in painstaking detail here:
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/enhanced...e-h-k-usp.html

The Fowler Industries modification to the VP9, as shown in that thread in a photo, appears to almost completely remove the finger grooves. And I understand how you feel in wanting to eliminate or reduce their presence on a P30.

I think the USP Full Size is the single greatest handgun I have ever come across in my entire (as of this post) 28-year handgun shooting career, and feel equally so about the USP Compact, except prefer the feel and balance of the full size. Would rate P30/P30L an extremely close second, and by a razor-thin margin at that, and the live-fire accuracy tests I have conducted with owned USP vs. borrowed P30 have yielded identical results.

The only downside to the USP and USP Compact, and in my opinion a very severe one, is that the factory grip, for me, is profoundly uncomfortable. I danced around this problem from January 1994 – August 2015 (21 years) by using Hogue or Pachmayr gripsleeves, until Logan Fowler registered on this board, and showed samples of his outstanding grip work. It is, in my opinion, a groundbreaking modification which will completely change the way you feel about an HK USP or USP Compact. By that I mean, you may decide you no longer have any desire to transition to a P30 if you obtain a quality low-abrasion re-stippling of a USP Compact from Fowler Industries, or other similar reputable vendor.

Damn straight, and could not agree with you more.

Except for the Sig-Sauer P320, which sells replacement frames for well under $100.00 (since the trigger chassis is the actual “firearm”) handgun grip stippling is a very risky proposition for everyone, because if you get one type and you don’t like it, you obviously cannot send it back and have it reversed, and most people make decisions based upon photos on the internet as opposed to handling the product in person.

What I would now recommend to people, is buy the $10.00 Magpul MOE-SL plastic grip and ask a vendor if they will please stipple that for you, so you have an actual real-world sample versus looking at pictures on the internet, and without having to send your weapon as the test sample. Knowledge is always power, and even if you find out you do not like the end result, it then eliminates that vendor from consideration, which gets you closer to your ultimate goal.

Officer Rick Holm at Lazy Wolf Guns is pretty much the undisputed leader for the trigger guard trench removal on P30/VP9, and would recommend him above all else. Would also add to that his reduced reset modification with nickel-teflon internals feels a lot like the trigger in the $2,000.00+ Springfield M1911-A1 which is built for and shipped to the FBI Hostage Rescue Team, and Officer Rick is the undisputed industry leader for H&K handgun trigger work for that very reason. And let me be clear – there is no amount of dry-fire or break-in which will equal his trigger modification, nor will the installation of the HK “match trigger” kit.

Heckler & Koch is considered to be unsurpassed in producing the most technologically advanced handguns for military and law-enforcement use. You are already well ahead of the game in making this your chosen weapons system, and I think you would be extremely well-served with the “carry” texture from Fowler Industries (or similar reputable vendor), and the trigger trench removal and reduced reset modification with nickel-teflon internals from Lazy Wolf Guns, as these enhancements will bring you to your absolute fullest potential.

Sponsored Links