red dot sight and slide cut
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cridertj
  • 1 Post By YVK

Thread: red dot sight and slide cut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default red dot sight and slide cut

I am wanting to add a red dot optic on my VP 40 and would like to know if any one will recommend a decent sight and maybe some one that does a good job cutting them out. I have looked at the holosun sights and like the look of them but never mounted one I would also like to keep my rear sight . I would appreciate any info and any pics of a sight mounted on the VP would be awesome.
    clint444 likes this.

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mark Housel from L&M Precision has a very good reputation and has done work on HKs. I had him do something else on a Glock, his work was great. Also check with Bruce from Primary Machine. His work is highly regarded but I don't know if he will do an HK.

As far as optics are concerned, for a defensive use I would not consider anything except for a Trijicon RMR. For general shooting and competition, Leupold and Vortex are options but I'd have some extra optics available to rotate when the primary optic needs go go back for repairs. Ho experience with holosun on pistols.
    Chopins11th likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've never been one to return purchased products from a store back to them unless there was really something wrong. I've always felt responsible for doing my homework, forums, peers at shooting matches etc before making a purchase that could be a game changer, but I have to confess: I didn't know what brand/model red dot to mount on my HK USP 45T V1 so I (sorry Cabelas, but I do buy quite a bit there) would purchase a red dot optic, rate it for my own liking (because that is one thing I learned; ya can't tell someone which sight he/she will like best once you get to the high end ones). So ehmmm, I bought 4 so far and have not been completely happy with any of them...yet. Started with Sig Romeo 3, Burris Fastfire 3, the RMR, and then finally (what I have now until the mail brings me my final optic), the Vortex Venom. With the Venom I have trouble getting dot acquisition from a draw and it's also a 3MOA which is really something to think about depending on what type of shooting you'll be doing. I could tell you my dislikes (minor usually) with each brand (returned back to the store) but it's sort of pointless on those because it is mostly personal preference. But having tried out the C-More RTS2 on a friend's HK 40 I loved it instantly. However, the MOA is 8 which is much more larger than Vortex Venom's 3 MOA only. Since I am staying mostly inside 25Y and will be shooting Steel Challenges primarily, the 8MOA makes sense for me. Unfortunately, only the C-more Rail, slide rides (the long ones either milled to your gun or attached via the rail) are the only C-mores where you can actually change out the MOA Sizes on the dots. They range from 2 to 16 I believe. Anyhow, I loved the C-More RTS2 immediately, was able to find the dot (8moa helps of course) immediately without trying and I will be milling my slide to keep the sight low profile and not riding high as that slows ya down too if you have it too high up (at least for me and quite a few others). I am mounting the Red Dot Forward of the Rear Sight. Right now the Vortex uses the dovetail slot where the rear sight used to be so I have no co-witness ability. The RTS2 also has just about the largest viewing area of all the upper end mini red dot's. It's a little more wide than it is tall.
    If you can shoot someone's pistol with a red dot on it (despite if it's a different pistol etc) You can still ascertain quite a bit about what you like and maybe dislike. ORRRR you could do like I did and buy the one you decide to buy from a place like Cabales with a great return policy, find out if it's for you and if not, return it inside the 30 days? I don't remember but they had no problem as I wasn't getting my money back, I was trading it and always buying other stuff on each visit. L&M Precision (like YVK mentioned) is probably one of the better places to trust and Mark Housel is so great with getting back with you fast, always taking the time to make sure you're happy, and does fantastic work. I just got an email from him this morning about porting the front of the USP barrel with small oval cuts (3) and he did say he really hadn't worked with HK USP's to know enough about them and doing that but he pointed me to a few places to find out while he did the same for me and said if it can be done, he will do it. I emailed him last night around 7pm and he answered me by 8:30am today. He has some good opinions on red dots and certainly can tell you if you can mount it foward of the rear sight etc.
    PS: Here's a recent tutorial on mounting red dot optics from Optics Planet https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/h...t-handgun.html
    Upgrades to HK USP-T V1

Trijicon HD16 Night Sights
    "Smith Brown" Cerakote Frame with design
    Tact threaded LH barrel
    5 Prong Flash Supp
    (2) Ten round, (3) 12 rd, and (2) 17 (+5 ext) rd mags
    Complete match trigger group
    Titanium Firing pin
    Ambi control lever kit (3 position V1)
    Ambi oversized mag release
    Vortex Venom Red Dot 3moa
    C-More XTS2 Red Dot 8moa
    Mini comp, m-break
    Rail Adapter
    Streamlight TLR-7 500 lumen rail light
    3 HK USP45 12 Rd Mags, Two 17rd ext mags, One 10rd mag

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Mark Housel from L&M Precision has a very good reputation and has done work on HKs. I had him do something else on a Glock, his work was great. Also check with Bruce from Primary Machine. His work is highly regarded but I don't know if he will do an HK.

As far as optics are concerned, for a defensive use I would not consider anything except for a Trijicon RMR. For general shooting and competition, Leupold and Vortex are options but I'd have some extra optics available to rotate when the primary optic needs go go back for repairs. Ho experience with holosun on pistols.
    Hey there YVK - Thank you for listing the two people/places of which the first you know does work on HK's. I have found it to be an arguous journey trying to find a shop (first, close to me in Phoenix) that does claim to work on HK's, even when I went outside the boundaries of being able to drive my piece and drop off in person. Seems so many haven't or do NOT do work on HK's, especially the USP models.

I did not receive a reason for the ones that say they do not do cuts or milling on them but wondered if you may know WHY? Is it the slide thickness or maybe the performance, (having issues with cycling properly if you do any window cuts on the slide? And if so, then what about milling the rear for a Red Dot just forward of the rear iron sight? Sorry to ask you. Just thought you may know off the top of your mind, but I will contact the places you've listed as I'm needing to FINISH this build I have nearly 2k into already in upgrades and smith work as I want to Cerakote the slide after making those cuts/milling.

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hey classic music aficionado. I can't say I know for sure but I think that the reason is more practical than technical. I believe that almost all if not all of those shops use CNC machines for the work. So really the job is to write up a program for a CNC machine, and I presume that not all of the shops are capable or just willing to butcher test slides and write the algorithms for different slides that are out there. This is just a guess.

To the OP: Primary Machine indeed works of VP guns

HK VP9/VP9SK Optic Milling - Primary Machine

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The hammer-fired H&Ks require a custom fabbed adapter plate, and can't just be milled like a Glock, hence why most places won't do them, because they don't know how. Note how L&M's hammer-fired H&K installs are much more expensive than the VP ones.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I have the Burris Fastfire 3 on a mount that replaces the rear sight.
    I like it. But I think I’m gonna get the Holosun when I get my slide milled.
    I like the circle dot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good day all,

I just purchased an HK45 V1 ds/sa and am wondering can this be milled to add a red dot? if anyone has had this done please send info. I would love to know where you sent it and what site you put on it. thank you

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone