Cerecote an HK Slide?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cerecote an HK Slide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cerecote an HK Slide?

Curious if anyone has done it and somehow preserved the build markings on the slide.

Got some holster wear on my P2000 and want a new coat of a deep black but don’t want to cover the markings.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I would go with IonBond, it's thinner and harder. Any finish will make proof marks harder to see, but they will be visible.

https://www.evolutionarmory.com/ionbond
    Last edited by Kost; 07-28-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People pay big money to get their guns cerakoted to make their gun look worn. I would leave it and tell everyone it’s a custom finish.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jokester945 View Post
    Curious if anyone has done it and somehow preserved the build markings on the slide.

Got some holster wear on my P2000 and want a new coat of a deep black but don’t want to cover the markings.
    I had CCR Refinishing do my USP Elite .45 and USP .40 slides in their version of nickel boron coating ("CP II"). As you can see, the finest characters are still visible (ignore the dirt in the 40 S&W letters). They have a number of coatings; you can contact them to see whether they have color options if you have to have black.

iLift45s, Jackrabbit61 and Ruber like this.

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I also had my 45c done in CPII it is a nice process, a little more nickle silver look than hard chrome so be aware if you want that silver/stainless look go with hard chrome.
    also the CPII is so slick blackening the letters like mneblett does rub off with time but it's a user not a showpiece. CCR does nice stuff, I used this crew for my hard chrome
    on my Sig220 Professional Gunsmith - Accurate Plating & Weaponry | Cogan Custom
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mew View Post
    also the CPII is so slick blackening the letters like mneblett does rub off with time
    My letters weren't colored - that's just dirt I missed before I took the picture.

Agree on the color vs. chrome. CPII is just a bit darker than the H&K stainless slide color - very slightly - more like "I think I see a tinge of yellow/bronze"

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Any ideas?

Heyas Jokester!

A lot of it depends on if your markings are stamped, or laser engraved. If they're stamped, they'll still be there. If they're lasered in, they're gone if you go for a full coat.
    Lasered engravings, can be masked over before the gun gets the spray, but there's a good chance that the area may not match the rest of the coat. Cerakote Application Process
    If they're stamped, and you don't think that they are visible enough (and you can do this with anything, I do it with most of my pistols, especially the numbers in the witness holes in magazine to make them more visible) you can take something that is easy to scratch off, like crayon, nail polish, paint from plastic models, etc to fill in the stamped areas, then just scrape the excess off with your fingernail. Very cheap mod that really makes those areas of the gun stand out. Like I said, I pretty much do it with all of my magazines, to make the numbers a lot more visible. About 8 minutes with a crayon makes a huge improvement to them.

Also keep in mind tho, that cerakote is pretty much like paint. After a while, you're going to notice it wearing off on the friction areas of the pistol, like where the slide rubs across the pistol frame. For prolonged use, and holster survival, I'd recommend something that actually "sinks in" and bonds more to the metal, like older, traditional methods. For that kind of stuff, any gunstore that regularly uses gunsmiths can give you some local recommendations.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf View Post
    Heyas Jokester!

A lot of it depends on if your markings are stamped, or laser engraved. If they're stamped, they'll still be there. If they're lasered in, they're gone if you go for a full coat.
    Lasered engravings, can be masked over before the gun gets the spray, but there's a good chance that the area may not match the rest of the coat. Cerakote Application Process
    If they're stamped, and you don't think that they are visible enough (and you can do this with anything, I do it with most of my pistols, especially the numbers in the witness holes in magazine to make them more visible) you can take something that is easy to scratch off, like crayon, nail polish, paint from plastic models, etc to fill in the stamped areas, then just scrape the excess off with your fingernail. Very cheap mod that really makes those areas of the gun stand out. Like I said, I pretty much do it with all of my magazines, to make the numbers a lot more visible. About 8 minutes with a crayon makes a huge improvement to them.

Also keep in mind tho, that cerakote is pretty much like paint. After a while, you're going to notice it wearing off on the friction areas of the pistol, like where the slide rubs across the pistol frame. For prolonged use, and holster survival, I'd recommend something that actually "sinks in" and bonds more to the metal, like older, traditional methods. For that kind of stuff, any gunstore that regularly uses gunsmiths can give you some local recommendations.
    Perfect answer for my situation. I do like the stainless look though. FYI the markings are laser not stamped.

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post

Agree on the color vs. chrome. CPII is just a bit darker than the H&K stainless slide color - very slightly - more like "I think I see a tinge of yellow/bronze"
    yep, you only really notice when they are next to each other.......

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Perfect answer for my situation. I do like the stainless look though. FYI the markings are laser not stamped.

Yeah, I really like the stainless look too. I may have to do more checking into that, if I ever get around to getting a p30. I think that would look pretty sweet. And yeah, a "stainless type" definitely stands out from the other HK's, since they're not being released with that type of finish on the newer lines of the P series and VP series.

Jokester- Glad to help out! :)
    I did think of this just now tho. If you've got proof of your factory markings, you might be able to send the slide back to HK to have it re-branded. I don't know for sure tho, but it couldnt hurt to give them a call to find out. I know the work most likely wouldnt be covered under warranty, since this was not a mandatory service, nor likely performed by a HK armorer. But it might be something to check out, since you've got one that has the laser engraving. Their number is in your manual, or on the HK website. Probly get a faster answer over the phone than by email. I hope maybe that provides you some more options :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links