Considering buying my first HK... Expert or MK23? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Considering buying my first HK... Expert or MK23?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Move? lol, if this were an option i am sure you would opt for it, maybe later. My vote would be expert as well.
    HK KI MARK 23
    HK KI USP45 Tactical
    HK BG USP9 Tactical
    HK BG 45 Tactical
    HK BG VP9 Tactical
    HK BG VP9
    HK BG P30
    HK BG P30SK
    HK BG SP5K(MP5K-N)
    TPM MP5F
    TPM P5SD
    MM 23E
    MM 23EK
    MM G36C
    MM G36K
    Looking for BG P30L V3 9mm & BG USP 9 Expert

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Expert. 45, if you can only tap 10 holes, may as well be big ones! :D
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I'm actually amazed they actually let common citizens even purchase a firearm in NYC - are you politically connected? LOL

Even if they did let you purchase one, I would imagine it would be an expensive safe queen as theres not a chance in a defensive scenario inside your dwelling/apt/etc that you wouldn't have a sh!t-ton of red tape and litigation if you ever had to use it -

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It looks like the Expert is the favorite... in a landslide. I'm kinda surprised by that.
    I still want to go shoot both, just to see how they feel.

Yeah they suck it up and let us peasants own guns here. But with an amount of red tape, bureaucracy, and restrictions that you guys out in America wouldn't believe.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    I'm actually amazed they actually let common citizens even purchase a firearm in NYC - are you politically connected? LOL

Even if they did let you purchase one, I would imagine it would be an expensive safe queen as theres not a chance in a defensive scenario inside your dwelling/apt/etc that you wouldn't have a sh!t-ton of red tape and litigation if you ever had to use it -
    I'm not sure about NY. But my mom has been after me for many years to move out there to NJ. After checking out THEIR gun laws, I have adamantly refused. NJ and NY are pretty much mirror images, as far as guns go, and in NJ you can't even load hollowpoints in your home guns. Not sure of the legality of even HAVING hollowpoints in your home.
    Their transport laws are absolutely ridiculous as well. As a resident, when traveling with a firearm, you are allowed a trip to and from a gunrange. STRAIGHT to and from, from point A to point B. You stop off for gas, and a cop pulls you over, you're in violation of the law.

Then in stark contrast you have states like CO who have the "make my day" law. It's crazy!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf View Post
    I'm not sure about NY. But my mom has been after me for many years to move out there to NJ. After checking out THEIR gun laws, I have adamantly refused. NJ and NY are pretty much mirror images, as far as guns go, and in NJ you can't even load hollowpoints in your home guns. Not sure of the legality of even HAVING hollowpoints in your home.
    Their transport laws are absolutely ridiculous as well. As a resident, when traveling with a firearm, you are allowed a trip to and from a gunrange. STRAIGHT to and from, from point A to point B. You stop off for gas, and a cop pulls you over, you're in violation of the law.

Then in stark contrast you have states like CO who have the "make my day" law. It's crazy!
    I lived in NJ for the first 30 years of my life - trust me I know that they are just as bad if not worse than New York - you have no carry privileges as a "commoner" whether open or concealed, as you need to prove "justifiable need" to get approved with a carry permit, which as we know, unless you are politically connected and paid off the right people, never will get approved. In a state of 9M+ people, just to shock the crap out of you to show how disarmed people are, there was something like 435 concealed carry permits issued in the entire state about 3 years ago, info I got from a friend at the NJSP.

Unless you are LEO or a political elite, your life does not matter outside your home. Hollow points are allowed in the home but you are correct, as a common citizen, do not remove them from your house (range training etc) - the best decision I ever made for my wallet and my freedom was to move out of the Northeast hell hole, and yes people look at you sideways as if the only place that you can make money and a living is in the Northeast, its laughable and a fear tactic to make you feel stuck - my area is BOOMING every day, more people moving in, infrastructure, jobs everywhere, new home construction etc, you will never find it in NJ/NY/CT etc as people are making their exodus in droves.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

From what I read about owning a pistol in NYC is that when you apply for the permit and decide not to renew it, you have to surrender your pistol to the NYPD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get both :)

I'd vote USP in 9mm. Less expensive to shoot - a lot.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The Mark 23 has been available (regularly) for a long time. The USP45 Expert has spontaneous availability and is priced VERY WELL right now at the $800-$900 range. I own two Mark 23s and two USP45 Experts and they have different purposes IMO. The Mark 23 is a beast and has combat applicability when only a pistol can be used in an offensive manner (see SOCOM's justification for development of OHWS). It would have to be a bad day in the neighborhood for me want to use it beyond range shooting, which it does well, very well. The USP45 Expert is a really comfortable pistol to shoot, perhaps perfectly balanced and incredibly smooth. The trigger on the Expert isn't as robust as the Mark 23's combat style, but it's light, crisp, and very much "match".

Mark 23
    Pros: Outstanding piece of machinery, chrome lined bore, accuracy is great, everything is TRUE "combat grade"
    Cons: Big, pre-1913 style HK rail unique to the Mark 23, trigger isn't light but it's very strong (see "combat grade")

USP45 Expert
    Pros: USP design, incredible balance, match trigger is outstanding, barrel hood is polished and lock-up is fit, recoil spring is tuned for smooth shooting
    Cons: USP grip is standard, no interchangeable backstraps or side panels, sight options are limited due to recessed sights that cover the firing pin block spring - important.

Either will serve your needs, but you can pick up two Experts for the price of a Mark 23! I recommend a USP45 Expert with a few extra magazines, spare recoil spring, and maybe some Tru-Dot tritium sights (see note about sight options above).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I rented a mk23 at the local range and shot it well. To me it is the ultimate home defense pistol. That said, living in CT I would have to de-thread the barrel and it seemed like a bad idea, especially considering the starting cost of the MK23 and the machine work costs to dethread that barrel.

I bought a USP expert 45 based on reviews and think it provides a similar shooting experience on a slightly smaller scale. The trigger is a bit better, and I would guess it’s not quite as bombproof as the mk23, but I can live with that 100%.

Home defense - I do think the Expert is very close to the mk23 for home defense, even if just because it comes with black target sights (and has limited upgrade options). The rails are the same, so a GG&G 1913 converter or a streamlight tlr-3 are your basic options if you want a weapon light.

Range work - I actually think the expert is a better range gun. It may have slightly more kick (slightly, both manage recoil very well), but the match trigger is really excellent. I’m an average shooter at best, and I cleaned out the bullseye on my first target (30’) with the expert!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering buying my first HK... Expert or MK23?-e8e35b98-5ff4-441c-8f80-7f3a2fffb84b_1533993807761.jpeg   Considering buying my first HK... Expert or MK23?-80ffaff2-cff0-434f-8e73-e2a638589dd8_1533993823867.jpeg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links