Need help with USP slide compatibility please
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need help with USP slide compatibility please

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Need help with USP slide compatibility please

I have a slight dilemma with a project I’m working on and could really use some help. I have a tan frame USP .40 S&W Custom Combat that is an AE date code gun that I wanted to turn into a tactical and mill the slide for an RMR. I didn’t want to hack up the original slide to the gun being that there were only 500 of these made, so I found and purchased a KF date code slide thinking it was compatible.

Well, unbeknownst to me, they are not and there are minor differences in these two date code slides. The KF slide will go on just fine but it will not function test like it should. Does anyone know what date code USP slides are compatatable with each other?

Thanks!

Rob
    45c Full OD
    45c
    P30s
    USP Compact Tactical .45
    USP Tactical 9mm
    USP Tactical 45 Tan
    USP Tactical 45 OD #25-100000
    USP Custom Combat OD
    USP Custom Combat Tan
    VP9 Tactical

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

Not function test like it should? Can you elaborate on that? What are other issues, if any?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    Not function test like it should? Can you elaborate on that? What are other issues, if any?

The slide will go on and rack just fine. The trigger will not drop the hammer in SA and it will drop it in DA, however, it is not as smooth as it should be. Looking at the bottom of both slides side by side, there are small differences between them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rob is exactly right. The USP9/40 slides on the frames with the original metal hammers (date codes KD, KE, KF) are incompatible with the frames with the rubber capped hammers, which is for slides from KG (1996) and forward.
    Why this is, I do not know, but I found this out for myself first-hand 21 years ago when trying to put a KD slide on a frame of a KG pistol. Slide would go on, but the weapon could not even be dry-fired.

This bizarre problem does not present itself with any of the USP9/40/45 compacts, or the USP45 full size.
    svtpwnz likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

There were a few design changes over the year that I think could have caused the KF slide not to work properly. These are listed chronologically:

1. Changed trigger transfer bar
    2. Changed recoil guide rod to a "captured spring version"
    3. Changed trigger mechanism
    4. Changed angle on slide lock

These changes went into effect, supposedly, starting with the KF model, but if that was true, yours could have been an early KF model. That would be my guess.

If the hammer drops in SA but not in DA, it occurs to me that it could be due to the trigger bar change?

Have you tried this:
    1. Take the RSA from the AE slide and use it with KF slide - Does it work?
    2. Take the whole AE slide and put it on the KF frame - Does it work properly?
    3. Take the trigger bar from the KF frame and put it on the AF frame - Does it work properly?
    svtpwnz likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lossiter View Post
    Rob is exactly right. The USP9/40 slides on the frames with the original metal hammers (date codes KD, KE, KF) are incompatible with the frames with the rubber capped hammers, which is for slides from KG (1996) and forward.
    Why this is, I do not know, but I found this out for myself first-hand 21 years ago when trying to put a KD slide on a frame of a KG pistol. Slide would go on, but the weapon could not even be dry-fired.

This bizarre problem does not present itself with any of the USP9/40/45 compacts, or the USP45 full size.

Well that definitely explains my situation and thank you for posting the info. It makes absolutely zero sense that HK wouldn’t make all of the USP slides/frames interchangeable but oh well. Looks like my search for a host slide is starting over.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

There were a few design changes over the year that I think could have caused the KF slide not to work properly. These are listed chronologically:

These changes went into effect, supposedly, starting with the KF model, but if that was true, yours could have been an early KF model. That would be my guess.

If the hammer drops in SA but not in DA, it occurs to me that it could be due to the trigger bar change?

Have you tried this:
    3. Take the trigger bar from the KF frame and put it on the AF frame - Does it work properly?
    I took the RSA and Jarvis barrel off of the AE slide and used it in the KF slide and it’s definitely a no go. I done have a KF frame to try so that’s definitely not an option either. I’m just gonna sell the KF slide and get another that will work. Thanks for the help though.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

I would like to document this issue and see if there is/are any solution(s) that an end-user could fix without having to resort to buying a new gun.

My hunch is the new-design trigger bar.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Have you tried this:
    I took the RSA and Jarvis barrel off of the AE slide and used it in the KF slide and it’s definitely a no go. I dont have a KF frame to try so that’s definitely not an option either. I’m just gonna sell the KF slide and get another that will work. Thanks for the help though.
    Last edited by svtpwnz; 08-09-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    TooSixy likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I would like to document this issue and see if there is/are any solution(s) that an end-user could fix without having to resort to buying a new gun.

My hunch is the new-design trigger bar.

I would love to just swap out a trigger bar and use this slide vs the alternative of selling it and trying to find another. I’ll get in touch with HK and see if that’s an option. Thanks!
    Last edited by svtpwnz; 08-09-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links