HK45 Small Backstrap Reduction

Thread: HK45 Small Backstrap Reduction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK45 Small Backstrap Reduction

I have small hands and would like to make the HK45 grip slightly smaller. Even a small amount would help. Anyone ever modify the backstrap to make it slightly thinner? Any ideas?
    Thanks

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I have small hands too and the backstrap as is is very comfortable - the HK45 is more streamlined and thinner in the grip than the USP45 which is why it has dedicated magazines - what is your issue with the grip as is, are you not able to reach controls without shifting? Trigger finger placement? Safety/decocker?

Mag release, and slide lock/stop both are great for me on my HK45 and the HK45C.

Full disclosure, I will say that with my smaller hands, I cannot in any form use the manual safety/decocker without seriously straining my grip to do so, on the HK45 series as well as the USP's - However, I am not a manual safety type and prefer no external controls, so all my hammer fired HK's are either factory LEM or converted to LEM

People don't understand for the most part as I watched IV8888's video with John Lovell basically making fun of people who say guns don't fit their hands, but they are thinking the opposite effect (hands are too big etc) - they don't think about people with smaller hands not being able to easily manipulate controls.

I got so excited for the Beretta M9A3 because of the thinner Vertec Grip, and I was going to convert it to G version! Finally held it in store, and I was crushed - I could barely get to the mag release, but I could do it, but the dealbreaker was I literally had to use my support hand to decock the pistol, I could not get my thumb up high enough to comfortably decock, so its unfortunately a no go for me - I don't want to be the idiot with the cool gun in his safe that he can barely manipulate controls on. Same with CZ75's, that DA trigger pull I can barely get my finger on.

I have some hope for the Mark 23, even though it is a larger pistol, USP's don't seem to bother me either, thank God for HK and their paddle mag releases.
    Last edited by ricky_bobby; 08-16-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    Full disclosure, I will say that with my smaller hands, I cannot in any form use the manual safety/decocker without seriously straining my grip to do so, on the HK45 series as well as the USP's ….I have some hope for the Mark 23, even though it is a larger pistol, USP's don't seem to bother me either, thank God for HK and their paddle mag releases.
    If you have difficulty reaching the decocker/safety on the USP45 with your shooting hand, chances are good it'll be more difficult on the 23.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies!
    I always have to shift my grip to get the pistol to line up with my wrist and arm in a straight line as I was taught.
    I also have to shift my grip to use the controls. Trigger reach is only right with the hammer cocked.
    I love this pistol and just want to make it work! Figured a little material removed from the backstrap would help. Just dont know how it would be done.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werra View Post
    Figured a little material removed from the backstrap would help. Just dont know how it would be done.
    Be careful. Doing so will alter the shape of the backstrap which in turn may alter the way your shooting hand manages the recoil.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent04 View Post
    If you have difficulty reaching the decocker/safety on the USP45 with your shooting hand, chances are good it'll be more difficult on the 23.
    Well like I said I am holding out hope, the safety flick on and off on the USP isn't a problem (although I would convert any USP's to LEM anyway), its the extra downward pressure to decock the V1 pistols - on the Mark 23 with the decocker down from the safety I am thinking I might be ok, but I am lefty so that is a whole other can of worms (trigger/middle finger manipulation?) - the safety on both sides of Mark 23 should be ok for me (hoping) - I obviously wouldn't plunk down $1800 sight unseen without holding it first.

OP, your symptoms are more indicative of the trigger reach to the back of the frame where your web of your shooting hand rests - the backstrap on the HK45 only goes about 3/4 up the frame, so I am not sure how much shaving that down will help - you could always buy a spare small backstrap and give it some trial -

Again, maybe converting to LEM will help because at least the takeup is super light when cocked, and then you have the slide releases to manage only, as opposed to the external decock/safety

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am planning on the LEM conversion.

I will probably buy a small backstrap to experiment with.

Sponsored Links