Grip tape for USPs? Will they need it?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Vincent04
  • 1 Post By MrShipwreck
  • 1 Post By sos24
  • 1 Post By Lossiter

Thread: Grip tape for USPs? Will they need it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Grip tape for USPs? Will they need it?

Ok, folks, any recommendations for grip tape for them? I'd rather try that route first when they arrive than send out experts for Glock type stippling. I'm just getting a nagging feeling the grip may be slippy based on my eyeball observations.

These will be shooters and NOT collection pieces....THAT said, I'd PREFER to not make permanent mods if I can avoid it.

Are there any USPs that have been stippled that people have pics of?

IF the grip is to slippy for my liking, I want to try grip tape, if that, for some reason doesnt work out, I'm looking at something like this....

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The USP grip is very aggressive as is. Try it out at the range before you do anything else. I can see why grip tape would be needed on the HK45 compact, but not the USP.
    ScubaCat likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent04 View Post
    The USP grip is very aggressive as is. Try it out at the range before you do anything else. I can see why grip tape would be needed on the HK45 compact, but not the USP.
    Ok, good to know. Pics just don't seem to do it justice then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes, the front and backstrap digs into your hand very well
    ScubaCat likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don’t think you will need grip tape. As @MrShipwreck said the front and backstrap is fairly aggressive. The sides aren’t as aggressive as what you have pictured, but when combined with front/back in full grip, it provides a solid grip.
    MrShipwreck likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Shooting a USP, with say, PiG shooting gloves. Is paramount to velcro like sticky.

The USP, is probably the most aggressive factory grip, I have ever shot. I dont know that skateboard tape would do you any good.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent04 View Post
    The USP grip is very aggressive as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by armtx77 View Post
    The USP, is probably the most aggressive factory grip, I have ever shot.
    Agree with both of these assessments. If you like an aggressive grip, the factory USP grip will serve you well.

I have used the HK USP exclusively since December of 1993 when I first rented one, then buying one in January of 1994, and having bought several others since. It is my vastly preferred handgun platform over anything else, even including the excellent P30, P30L, VP9, HK45 and P2000 offerings from H&K.

With that said, I believe the unmodified factory USP grip texture is absolutely ATROCIOUS. The grip checkering and texture were designed with the intent that the pistol would be fielded primarily by operators from military and law-enforcement special operations units wearing gloves, and while it may work well in that specific scenario, it makes for an extremely uncomfortable experience for me.

You are ultimately going to get what you are willing to pay for. If you are prepared to invest $100.00 - $200.00 in a quality grip re-texturing, the comfort, accuracy, rapid-fire control, one-handed and weak-handed operation, speed and comfort of draw, and overall performance in all areas will be significantly greater than any grip tape or slip-on rubber grips typically retailing for under $20.00. If you like grip tape, such accessories will actually work in tandem with a grip-retexturing, so you will actually get the best of both worlds to elevate your shooting in a way that you could not accomplish otherwise with just one or the other.

My personal favorite grip stippling is the “Carry” texture from Fowler Industries. This is designed as an extremely low-abrasion stippling, and is the absolute best I have ever found thus far. He charges $180.00 per frame, will do any USP, USP Compact, or Mark 23, and the results are simply magical. He also offers Medium and Aggressive stippling, as well as what he calls ENT texture, which is between Carry and Medium.

Photo (his current work covers the area that says “USP,” which makes the grip even better. This is the very first one he did for me three years ago).

I have said before that fewer people would choose the P30 and P30L over the USP if the USP came with this texture from the factory, and I still stand by that assessment.

Full review here:
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/enhanced...e-h-k-usp.html
    Last edited by Lossiter; 08-26-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    MrShipwreck likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The challenge with grip stippling, obviously, is that if you do not like it when you receive the frame back, it cannot be reversed, and it is often difficult to quantify how any particular pattern will feel simply by looking at photos on the internet.
    What I would recommend to people, is to purchase the plastic Magpul MOE-SL grip for under $10.00, and ask if a stippler will do that before sending an actual frame.

I can tell you that Cold Bore Customs and 610 Precision will also do exceptionally good stippling work on an HK USP. I have felt the "Granite Medium" from 610 Precision in person at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show, and it is an excellent low-abrasion texture similar to the Fowler Industries Carry texture. https://www.facebook.com/610Precisio...type=3&theater He can also do a "Granite Light", which for me would be even better.

Lastly, remember to always email or call your vendor with your specific needs, as they will gladly tailor the project to your exact specifications. I wanted the lowest abrasion package for my HK USP's, and received exactly that from my chosen vendor, and could not be happier or more pleased with the results.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lossiter View Post
    It is my vastly preferred handgun platform over anything else, even including the excellent P30, P30L, VP9, HK45 and P2000 offerings from H&K....With that said, I believe the unmodified factory USP grip texture is absolutely ATROCIOUS.....You are ultimately going to get what you are willing to pay for.….
    YES!! My first USP was the USP40. I knew the grip texturing would be hard on my hand, but had no idea HOW HARD. Shooting 155 and 165 hot SD loads proved to be quite painful. My hands were raw and red! Then I decided to use the 180gr, and with that grain, I found the perfect balance between grip retention, accuracy, and comfort with no grip mods. No more pain or redness. In the 40 and 45, the USP full size is my go-to gun these days. I'll further say that in terms of overall shooting, the USP45 beats the HK45 because of grip retention.

To the OP: I hope Lossiter and I didn't scare you away from the USP. It is an excellent firearm. Just don't modify it unless you have too. You'll really like it.
    Last edited by Vincent04; 08-26-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Sponsored Links