How different are the P30sk and the VP9sk?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By WmGardner
  • 2 Post By Parausa
  • 2 Post By WolfieRules
  • 1 Post By Annanymouse
  • 1 Post By GasGuzz

Thread: How different are the P30sk and the VP9sk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How different are the P30sk and the VP9sk?

I am thinking of picking up a P30sk lem, but I already have a VP9sk. After handling the P30 in store, I think I like the feel of the P30sk better because it seems that it has less of a hump because the grip doesn’t taper in at the top quite like the VP. I get the difference in triggers and think that I could adapt to the lem, but I have read where others said their VP9sk was the better shooter. I can’t help but think a big part of that is that they just like the trigger better. My question is how much alike/differently do the VP9sk and the P30sk handle? Or are they so much alike that the overlap doesn’t justify both? Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymailman View Post
    I am thinking of picking up a P30sk lem, but I already have a VP9sk. After handling the P30 in store, I think I like the feel of the P30sk better because it seems that it has less of a hump because the grip doesn’t taper in at the top quite like the VP. I get the difference in triggers and think that I could adapt to the lem, but I have read where others said their VP9sk was the better shooter. I can’t help but think a big part of that is that they just like the trigger better. My question is how much alike/differently do the VP9sk and the P30sk handle? Or are they so much alike that the overlap doesn’t justify both? Thanks for your help.
    Did not try LEM trigger, but overall I preferred the P30, although I did prefer the slightly more pronounced “beavertail” (for lack of a better term) VP9. The VP9SK is just a little larger though, if memory serves. I REALLY dislike the slide release on the RH side of the VP, and took to using my trigger finger to release the slide (far from ideal).

Based on all the “break-in” advice and problems I have seen (depending on ammo choices) though, I am delighted I never bought one. Break-in on a P30? Um, insert magazine, rack slide, aim... There “break-in” all done. Being a little facetious perhaps but I own 4 P30 models, from the L to the SK, have never experienced a weapon malfunction, and yes, I do shoot a lot. No feed failures, no battery failures, no ejection problems... nothing. Completely dependable in my experience. It’s what I carry and what I train with. No hesitation in suggesting it to someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crazymailman likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have both. VP is easier to shoot in general with striker trigger. P30SK light LEM is extremely reliable and trigger requires training to master but is exceptionally accurate for me also. Hammer fired P30 permits thumb on hammer for holstering as added safety factor. I love both and carry and shoot both. P30 reliability is long proven. VP has a way to go to prove out similarly.
    WmGardner and Crazymailman like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Just picked up an almost new P30SK V3-LE, just because the price/condition ratio made it a no-brainer.

Hammer vs Striker, that's all preference.

I'm going to take the new wee-one to the range Wednesday and shoot back to back with my VP9SK, so will have to report of my perception of the two.
    WmGardner and Crazymailman like this.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    P30 LS
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I have a vp9sk and my cousin has a p30sk, I have shot both and for the most part shot the same for me at least, one thing that I did notice was that the p30sk was a bit more picky with ammo, the heavier 147gr stuff seemed to have feeding issues but I chalked it up to breaking the gun in. I haven't had a chance to go back out with it to test it again. I saved a box of that particular ammo just for the p30sk to try again. The vp9sk functioned fine but had alot more rounds through it at the time the p30sk had its malfunction.

Luis
    Crazymailman likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I’ve shot my buddy’s VP9SK vs. my P30SK, and they shoot the same (outside of the triggers).
    As for why both/either. I prefer a hammer fired carry, and have the SK-S option of Condition-1. The VP9SK is larger, where my P2000 supplants it.
    Regardless, the beauty of the P/VP SK are the 13/15 rd mags. HK did their homework on these subcompacts.
    Crazymailman likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i know i'm a bit late here, but i have a P30sk lem and VP9sk and it's just a difference of the trigger.... i probably shoot the VP9 a bit more consistent, the LEM trigger will either make you look like a champ or a chump lol...

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I have both, though have to admit the P30SK v3 is new to me and only put few hundred through her.

Good to know as I thought VP9 and 30 frames were a little different feeling, now I know I wasn't imagining things.

I'm thinking with some practice the P30 will be a sweet little shooter, I've already seen glimmers of potential (4 shots in a row, 11 yds, all in same hole effectively)

Either are sweet, the VP9 was a no-brainer as I have a lot of rounds through my full size ones.

Both are super accurate, built very well, and would do just fine. I think the v3 for CCW might be better choice if feel more comfortable riding a hammer when holstering.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WmGardner View Post
    Based on all the “break-in” advice and problems I have seen (depending on ammo choices) though, I am delighted I never bought one. Break-in on a P30? Um, insert magazine, rack slide, aim... There “break-in” all done. Being a little facetious perhaps but I own 4 P30 models, from the L to the SK, have never experienced a weapon malfunction, and yes, I do shoot a lot. No feed failures, no battery failures, no ejection problems... nothing. Completely dependable in my experience. It’s what I carry and what I train with. No hesitation in suggesting it to someone else.
    Break in problems with a VP9? Standard or SK? Dunno what you're talking about. Absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I've owned a vp9 and a SK for a couple of years now, and never, ever, ever had any kind of feeding or ejecting issues whatsoever. Only time I have seen or heard of any kind of problem is aluminum or steel cased ammo which can be possible problems for any pistol regardless of make or model. Those two types of cases are just a crapshoot, regardless of what you're feeding it in.

P30 - double strike capability, able to carry hammer decocked, or possibly with safety on, cocked and locked, long trigger pull, slightly smaller, but slightly heavier.
    VP9 - no double strike, no carry decocked, without an empty chamber, no manual safety lever, slightly larger, slightly less weight, much shorter trigger, and better reset.

Shoot them both, you literally will not know the difference between them, until you do. For some, the trigger on a p30 is no problem, or just a training issue, for some, it's a dealmaker, or a deal breaker. I'd be carrying a p30sk right now, if it wasnt for that long trigger pull, instead I'm carrying a VP9sk. (And the price point difference when I bought the guns).
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Sponsored Links