Newbie looking at purchasing a USP
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Newbie looking at purchasing a USP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Newbie looking at purchasing a USP

Hi.

I just joined this forum, it seems to be a wealth of knowledge. This is my first post.

My story: I am not real active in the firearms community. I have a few rifles and shoot only rarely. 24 years ago, I bought a 1991 but gave it to my son a few years ago for a 21st birthday present. I kinda feel naked without it even though I didn't shoot much.

When I bought the Colt 24 years ago, the USP was new. I wanted one but didn't want to part with the cash. Now, years later, and with the Colt gone, I want a USP and can see myself maybe starting shooting again. I'm older now and appreciate the quality, and I can afford it. I can feel the quality when I hold one.

I wanted a new, full size USP45 because of the purity of it, its the "real USP" model to me. And I have big hands. But, I'm having problems finding a new one. A LGS has a used USP 9mm that looks mint to my novice eyes, it barely appears to have been used at all. It looks like it has never been fired. Any have any cues to look for?

If I buy the mint used 9mm, I might then next get a new 45 when one becomes available. Or a Mark 23, vroom, vroom....haha. Or a compact model just for fun.

The 9mm ammo is so much cheaper and with this option, I could ease back into the sport/hobby. If I decide I don't like it, it wasn't as wasteful a purchase.

Any words of advice are appreciated. Thanks!

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Honestly 9mm and .45 Ammo are pretty close in cost. You can buy either locally, or online from $10-$14 per (50) rounds. There are expensive versions of each everywhere too though!

The USP 45 is larger than the 9mm USP too. The grip is taller, and fatter

Whichever feels better to you I’d get that one. I personally love the USP 45 grip! I like .45 too so it was only all reassuring

If your looking for a newer model that’s used, the barrel hood should show light wear if any at all. And the grip texture should be sharp looking, and shinny in appearance.

Follow your date codes, any USP past 2005 is the latest model I believe, and has all the updates, and revisions and is identical to a 2018 version I “ Think”

It really doesn’t matter what year it is. Mine is a 2007, but looks like brand new. I bought my usp tactical 45 used just a few weeks ago.

If it has night sights, checking the year helps to get an idea how old the tritium is though.

The USP is about as good as it gets in my eyes, and a lot of other people agree. They seem to sell out all of the new USP’s pretty quickly, Then stock will re supply eventually for all of the retailers.
    Last edited by tps3443; 09-10-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Welcome Home! Bought an ORM M1991-A1 the first year they came out, it's only got 300 rounds on it in pristine condition, now it's worth twice what I paid, it's got just the worse trigger, but slide to frame fit is extraordinary.

Anyway back to your question, if you want .45, I would go fullsize USP .45 like USP Expert .45 or Tactical or MK23, USP Compact .45 is wonderful!

If 9mm is what you want, then same as above in 9mm (except MK23)

Let us know what you buy, and show us pictures! =)
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verstehe17 View Post
    If I decide I don't like it, it wasn't as wasteful a purchase.
    Any words of advice are appreciated. Thanks!
    My advise is to step away from the case, fast. I went back to shooting last year and straight to HK, that was Jun-2017 and now have 5... looking to pick up a USP45c by Thanksgiving.
    Online brass cased bulk ammo 9mm/.45 are .19/.25 per round.

It's a slippery slope.
    wallew likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I would go with a 9mm because you can install the match trigger and jet funnel kits to use with 18 round mags. Get a Mark 23 if you want to get a .45, that's what an USP would want to be when it grows up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Myself I just started with HK when I decided to branch into 45 ACP. Really, it was interest in 45 Super out of the USP45, but not an intent to shoot only that. So after the Full-Size USP45 I had to get a USP 45 Compact since two is one one is none of course and especially with a new cartridge to stockpile couldn't have one firearm to shoot it. So, no regrets at all, the USP series reeks quality to handle and fire. The control lever interchangeable design is brilliant. You could always pick up a .45 Compact now first which are available, and then add the full size 45 when you find one. I got lucky and found a random USP 45 at Omaha Outdoors after a few days of searching on the USP45 product number off the website and hitting up gun.deals website. Its a dice roll on when they will ship now. Meanwhile, perfectly good HK's are available so I will leave you with this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab57xD0oBz8

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Can't go wrong with USP 45 or 9. Best Buy are the standard USP. Tactical models have slightly better triggers adjustable sights (I'm not a fan) and threaded barrel. So unless you like blacked out sights or have a supressor, but base model. Use the extra money for mags and ammo.

You can always upgrade the trigger or change the sights down the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Resistance is futile. If you buy one, you’re just going to want another. So you might as well buy one in each caliber.

All kidding aside, I wish someone had told me that a USPc .45 would be so much fun to shoot. I would have purchased it first.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)

Welcome to the site--- USP45FS (Variant 1)!!!

Tony

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tps3443 View Post
    Honestly 9mm and .45 Ammo are pretty close in cost. You can buy either locally, or online from $10-$14 per (50) rounds. There are expensive versions of each everywhere too though!

The USP 45 is larger than the 9mm USP too. The grip is taller, and fatter

Whichever feels better to you I’d get that one. I personally love the USP 45 grip! I like .45 too so it was only all reassuring

If your looking for a newer model that’s used, the barrel hood should show light wear if any at all. And the grip texture should be sharp looking, and shinny in appearance.

Follow your date codes, any USP past 2005 is the latest model I believe, and has all the updates, and revisions and is identical to a 2018 version I “ Think”

It really doesn’t matter what year it is. Mine is a 2007, but looks like brand new. I bought my usp tactical 45 used just a few weeks ago.

If it has night sights, checking the year helps to get an idea how old the tritium is though.

The USP is about as good as it gets in my eyes, and a lot of other people agree. They seem to sell out all of the new USP’s pretty quickly, Then stock will re supply eventually for all of the retailers.
    Uhhh the Walmart where I live has 9mm at $12 and .45 at like $18-19

Anyone who legally can, should carry a firearm and train to use it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links