Sp5k rust
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sp5k rust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sp5k rust

Life hasn’t been very stable lately And my sp5k has mostly been sitting in the factory case Unfired in the factory storage oil/cosmoline for quite awhile. I took it down today to do some cleaning on it. The gun looks pretty spotless for the most part except this one area I’m pretty sure it’s rust. What’s the best way to clean this off as it’s a very hard to reach area. Will be trying some cotton swabs soon. Also is this a common area in the gun for this sort of thing to happen?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sp5k rust-c0c707ff-cf89-4f11-843a-f73367f6cce5_1536825398894.jpeg   Sp5k rust-7e7be385-4d44-42d0-818b-67a4f91a1881_1536825456550.jpeg   Sp5k rust-3b88713c-f3ea-4b4e-8d50-08af44a2b38d_1536825493286.jpeg  

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I would try using a nylon brush or a toothbrush and wipe it with CLP. Good luck.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yikes!

Now I need to go check on my own SP5K that's been sitting in factory oil for a while now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
    I would try using a nylon brush or a toothbrush and wipe it with CLP. Good luck.
    yup that was the first thing I tried man. Problem is it’s so hard to reach in there. Really hard. I don’t think it’s too bad there but I can see how it formed there and not much else where. A bit of a bummer but hopefully easily alleviated. Worse case scenario I’ll just get it refinished asap and try to get a better than factory job

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

For stuff like this I’ve had good luck with a cheapie dental tool set from Harbor Freight. Allows for some really precise access to small spaces using little more than a patch and your oil/solvent of choice.

This link is to what looks like a metal set, but I use their plastic one to limit finish damage and scratching. I couldn’t find a link on their site to the plastic but they’ve had them in the store when I’ve looked.

https://m.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pick-set-93514.html

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Hard to tell from those pics but sometimes the oil can dry out and it takes on a reddish color resembling rust. Don’t know if that’s the case here, but if it is rust, it’s not significant, but something that needs to be addressed.
    WolfieRules and CAR like this.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

That's why I like to have a protective layer of carbon on those areas. ;)
    GuntherRommel, sickness and dushan like this.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I wouldn’t be too worried. Worst case a little surface rust, penetrate it with CLP and you’re GTG.
    HK rifles (or any typical AR) have nooks where it’s unfinished and you’ll never get to them. I had a 94/93/91 during my CA days just before they went Republic, and fired K’s through them no problem.
    Or per SudS, could be just some dried up lube discoloring.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d5k_deutsche View Post
    yup that was the first thing I tried man. Problem is it’s so hard to reach in there. Really hard. I don’t think it’s too bad there but I can see how it formed there and not much else where. A bit of a bummer but hopefully easily alleviated. Worse case scenario I’ll just get it refinished asap and try to get a better than factory job
    Have you tried using a combination of a drill plus the nylon bore brushes attached to a long stick? https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-...R86E11WRYP543S

or using an old electric toothbrush?

Are you near the sea? I'm in Houston and it gets humid 8 months a year but weapon sits inside the house, I haven't seen rust develop yet. (cross fingers). I have seen a post where a member left this mag on the coffee table and the mag looks completely rusted. If I remember correctly he lives in front of the sea.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Well, you made me look at mine. Which are fine.

I concur with SudS. Probably dried up cosmo/lube -

Which is one reason why I ALWAYS suggest to everyone that as soon as you get your 'NEW TO YOU' firearm home, you should at the very least, break it down and clean it thoroughly, lube it with your lube of choice (I use PROLONG). Then put it back into storage in a well made case.

There are people who make long swabs (6") so you can get to pretty much anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/DJDZ-Handles-...on+swabs&psc=1

IF you find you actually have rust, hit it with a scotch bright pad (start with a white one but don't use pressure, just slowly wipe the rust away - then up to green, then to red IF necessary). Then get a bottle of BRASS BLACK by Birchwood Casey

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas...SIN=B0000C514O

I also use Brass Black to touch up all my METAL that has been worn bare, including my metal mags (USPC) and they all look pretty much new after I'm done.

A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY. so use a small amount, let it stand for one minute, wipe it off and if you like the results, STOP THERE.

If you are not satisfied, retreat it again, FOR NO MORE THAN ONE MINUTE, wipe it off and check the results. Do this until you are satisfied.

Realize that you are doing a cosmetic repair, trying to cover up bare metal. This is NOT a refinish by any means, just a stop gap method against wear and it's evil twin - rust.

EDIT : One CAVEAT to using brass black - this is more for modern day finished firearms that look black, rather than a deep blue. You can (and I have) used this process on deep blued firearms, but used sparingly, it will make minor cosmetic repairs to keep rust at bay. jw
    Last edited by wallew; 09-13-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links