VP9 slide failing to lock open on final shot - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: VP9 slide failing to lock open on final shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ran 100 rounds of 115 today. First box with ten in a mag, second with 5. Experienced one failure to lock back.
    Also experienced 2 mag changes where the slide locked back but as soon as I inserted the fresh mag the slide returned to battery without me hitting the slide release. I was nowhere near the slide release. This is a strange break-in period. This may be a faulty magazine. I'll check that out Speeddemon.
    Thanks for all the input.
    Last edited by bass; 10-16-2018 at 03:58 AM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bass View Post
    Do I need to use 124 grain exclusively? I like the Geco. It's clean, cheap, and I have 900 rounds left. But dry firing when I think the gun will go bang sucks.
    Yes. Use the 115 for other things, like micro-eroding the bore of your MP5.
    bass likes this.
    "We do bad things to bad people".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Auto forwarding on mag insertion is normal but not reliable

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

If you hold the pistol on target, it is much less likely to let the slide go forward. If you cant the pistol 15+degrees, usually 45 degrees, it will do it all of the time. The plastic frame is flexing upon insertion. All of my plastic HKs do this. Well, maybe not the VP70z.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

After few hundred NATO/EU power 124g, and if leaving slide locked backed overnight hasn't solved your 115g slide lock issue, look elsewhere than the pistol or ammo. I have several 9mm HKs, including a handful of VP9s, and they all eat even 115g Blazer Brass (a bit wimpy load) without issue (I use 115g a lot, meaning 10s of thousands of rounds through VP9s, as it's super cheap for new brass ammo)...could be your grip, riding slide locks, etc.
    VP9 - all 4 of them :-)
    VP9SK
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good to know auto forwarding is normal, though it would be nice if it were consistent one way or the other. I've been shooting revolvers, pump shotguns, and lever or bolt rifles for over 30 years. First time I owned a semi-auto pistol and got to know one. Got a Walther PPS 3 months ago and the HK VP9 2 weeks ago. It's a learning experience.
    Looks like this issue of failure to lock open resolved itself with use.
    Thank you all.

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Calling auto-forwarding normal is a matter of a personal opinion. I don't believe it is. I want my guns chamber a round when I tell them so, figuratively speaking, not when I seat the mag. I haven't seen a single manufacturer's manual that instructed a loading procedure as "insert a magazine, expect slide to drop". I don't understand how something that doesn't happen reliably can be called normal. I owned a half dozen HKs and none of them did in my hands. Etc, etc. In my book it doesn't mean the gun is broken, it is something that does happen, but really should not.
    bass likes this.
    “When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
    "What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
    "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
    Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.”

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

All my HKs, and my Walther for that matter, auto forward, if mag slammed home with some authority. I like it, some may not. I have to purposely slam the mag in to auto forward, if auto forwards just sliding mag in, I'd say something isn't quite right.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpgeorge View Post
    If you hold the pistol on target, it is much less likely to let the slide go forward. If you cant the pistol 15+degrees, usually 45 degrees, it will do it all of the time. The plastic frame is flexing upon insertion. All of my plastic HKs do this. Well, maybe not the VP70z.
    All of my metal frame Sigs also do this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bass View Post
    Good to know auto forwarding is normal, though it would be nice if it were consistent one way or the other. I've been shooting revolvers, pump shotguns, and lever or bolt rifles for over 30 years. First time I owned a semi-auto pistol and got to know one. Got a Walther PPS 3 months ago and the HK VP9 2 weeks ago. It's a learning experience.
    Looks like this issue of failure to lock open resolved itself with use.
    Thank you all.
    You did not read your VP9 manual, did you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links