HK Slide finish - durability - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HK Slide finish - durability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lot of times what happens is the gun is oiled up but contact with gloves, holsters, etc. wicks of the oil so they look dry and grayer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet818 View Post
    Noticed what seems to be like the black finish around the rear of the slide was ‘fading’ and not as black as the other parts of the slide that does not come into contact with the gloves. This is after about 10,000 rack slides.

Is this actually possible?
    I think it is definitely possible. See the photo below of my VP9. You can see where the finish is lighter from holster wear from drawing and re-holstering. It's starting to look closer to bare metal in some places. Your gloved hands will have same effect but likely slower than Kydex does it. If you ever saw the handrails on the stairways on my Submarine you would see that bare hands can polish metal to a fine polish if they rub it enough.

I have not had any issues in the locations where the finish is lighter, like corrosion, and mine gets carried every day.

DZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HK Slide finish - durability-img_4047.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You oiled the slide and your gloves absorbed the oil. No harm to the finish unless you’re using abrasive or dirty gloves.
    HK USPc 9mm
    HK USPc 40S&W/357Sig SS
    HK G36 conversion
    HK UMP45 conversion
    Vector V53
    HK M27 clone
    HK VP9
    HK P7M8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links