HKPRO Forums banner

P30 .40 or USP .40 compact

4K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  dguillory 
#1 ·
There is a P30 LEM .40, full box, 3 mags night sights for $500. I’m debating it vs a USP .40 LEM compact which I haven’t found yet. Thoughts on whether the P30 is a good enough deal to not pass up. I’d appreciate your input

Anyone who legally can, should carry a firearm and train to use it.

#2 ·
Although an 'icon' the USP just doesnt' fit/feel as good as P series to me. LEM with mags and night sights seems like a pretty good deal, any LE version of an HK for under or at $500 seems easy decision, or would be for me.

If haven't shot USP yet, see if can shoot both, then once decide on what model you can search for it....unless you just grab the P30 LE you mentioned.

Reactions: dguillory
#4 ·
I have a full size usp 40 and P229’s. Both fit great and I actually prefer the usp. I have had a P30 V3. Loved it. Only thing was the trigger trough. I’ve since figured I can sand that out. I have not shot a usp compact yet. Thanks for your thoughts.

#3 ·
If the P30 you found is NIB, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal. The P30 and the USP compact are mechanically similar. I don't think you're sacrificing anything from that perspective when going with one over the other. You do get bigger (and imo, nicer) mag release paddles, plus grip customization with the P30. The P30 in .40 S&W also holds one more round than the USP compact in .40 S&W. Aftermarket sight options are greater with the P30 as well.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
The grip kits make a difference if you actually use/config it, I have yet to set up my P30/P30S/P30SKS other than what std HK shipped it (including my P2000/med-backstrap). And since my USP9C fits me perfectly, the P30/P2000 grip kits have no advantage.
The P30S is my ‘house’ gun, the USP9C is in my carry rotation. Carry config has more value to me.

Trigger trough, my finger never touches the guard.

#8 ·
I liked the P30. The grip length was a hair longer than the USP and P229 but all 3 work with no pinky extensions and no pinch on reload. I absolutely hate the need for pinky extensions. I would never own an SK for that reason. I like to have flush fit base plates and I’m concerned that the USP compact may be too short. No store has both for me to analyze or even just the compact, no one has one. For reference, the USP and P229 are exactly right and the P30 gives a bit more. Curious how short the compact is.

#9 ·
The +0/Pinky is not required (and a moot point to me), all my P30SK/P2000/USP9C pinky’s have been switched to flats – the whole point of minimal mass.
Folks think you need your pinky at rest (especially at the LGS), until you actually live fire with your pinky wrapped underneath. Of course it has a different shooting dynamics, but nothing in my safe beats it for ultra-concealability. And why you train train train.
There's little overlap/extending of my pinky over the USP9C/P2000 grip bottom, but the bone is firmly planted - no problem.

#18 ·
Just a for instance....

I am 6' and weight 190lbs and have large hands. I love my USP's, especially my USP compact.

It fits me perfectly. No pinky problems at all. And on the COMPACTS they all have the pinky extension and it works great for me.

ALL the USP 40 full sized mags have a regular base plate. ALL my HK mags for my USP's are LEO mags...

#20 ·
Yeah, I concur.

So much so that twenty one years ago, I started gunsmithing school. I graduated 20 years ago next month (Nov). I was an NRA certified firearm instructor for 10 years.

These days, I'm just RETIRED.

#21 ·
USPc all day. Especially for .40.
I recently purchased an early .40 P229 non-rail out of curiosity. Frankly I don't get why it has such a large fan base. They must not have ever tried a USP compact.
The Sig will probably sell some day. I own 3 USP compacts and can't stop buying them when I can find a good deal.

#23 ·
If I were going to carry it, then I'd look for a USPc or even a P2000. I've owned the P30 in 9mm and found the longer grip a little more difficult to conceal than either the USPc or P2000. Of course, it's hot most of the year here on the Gulf Coast, so I'm normally only wearing T shirts except during our couple of months of cool weather. I have the USPc and P2000 in .40. They're both great shooters and conceal better than the P30 for me, especially with the flat magazine basepads. Even though the grip was more ergonomic on the P30, that didn't make me shoot it any better than other guns. I shoot a USP or Glock as well as any other pistol despite the blocky grips.

#29 · (Edited)
^^Awesome! Now you can change it to LEM when/if you like; from your pic it looks to be an AA? If so, don’t forget to get the new style catch along with the LEM kit. I also did the larger mag release and love it. Good score. Congrats!

Edit: Oh, and put in the nickel flat spring while you’re in there too.

#30 ·
^^Awesome! Now you can change it to LEM when/if you like; from your pic it looks to be an AA? If so, don’t forget to get the new style catch along with the LEM kit. I also did the larger mag release and love it. Good score. Congrats!
Yes. Will one LEM kit work for the full size and the compact? If so, I can see which I like it best in. I’ll look into that. Thanks for the the tip on the catch. I may get the bigger mag release as well. Ok on full size but this one is hard to activate with my trigger finger and maintain full proper grip. It’s all great as is I suppose. Whichever I put LEM on, I will marry it up with a TLR3 for home gun. I like the wife to be able to grab and go. No heavy DA and no safety. That’s the purpose my DAK 229 has served.

#34 ·
I’m stoked. Just put first 50 through it. Flawless. I’m so used to X-ray sights on my 229’s, I’m gonna put trjicon HDs on this one. If it had working Tru dots I wouldn’t mess with it but it’s standard 3 dot.

#39 ·
I have never done the extended mag release on a USP because of the polymer mags and the problems reported/documented so standard it will always remain. I’ve put the extended on all my USPc’s (9mm, .357Sig, .45 and a .40 I sold to a buddy) and P2000SK and have never had an issue/failure. Some have reported an issue with the fitment in certain Kydex holsters not accommodating the extended mag release but I have never experienced that; all my holsters agree with it and I won’t go back to the standard release on the ones I’ve changed. They all have been 100% for me and what I consider an awesome upgrade.

#40 · (Edited)
My P30SK came with both flat plate and pinky rest mags. My USP Compact came only with those grosly oversized pinky shelves, but I got used to it quick. Just fit my hand right away. Which brings me to the main point. Fit. Your P30 - if it has all the new stuff in the box - will have all the grip plates you need to fit to your hand perfectly. The USP will either fit or not. I'd say that for the price you would do well to grab that P30 before you end up paying more. One more thing. P30 and USP mags fit either gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.