Just retired my P7M8 CCW - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Just retired my P7M8 CCW

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Every time I hear someone compromising because they don't want to carry an expensive gun I shake my head.

I will always carry a P7M8...at least until there exists a pistol that is completely disarmed during carry and gives me a better advantage in a gun fight. There is no gun, no matter how much you could sell it for, that is worth more than your life. And if you find yourself in an actual fight for your life a design feature that provides even a fraction of a second advantage could keep you on this side of the dirt.

If a P7 saves my life and the court system takes it I'll gladly buy another regardless of price. I say that rhetorically -- I own enough of them that it wouldn't be an issue. Think long and hard before you part with a trusted companion because some chachi paid $3500 for a PD trade in on Gouge Broker.
    AutoLode likes this.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I sold my P7's earlier this year. Parts will dry up and I thought someone else should enjoy them. I have several dozen pistols but I carry a P229 Legion now as my daily.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I look at it from a different angle. Everyone carries a certain firearm that they feel has certain benefits.

My carry philosophy is keep it simple. in order of importance is reliably, weight and capacity.

So my go to is a Shield 2.0 for subcompact, P2000sk and glock 19. I carry appendix and those work for me. I love 1911's but would never CCW one. Heavy, limited capacity and manual of arms...not in a high stress situation with the safety.

P7 series just not for me for CCW. Now if they came out with a polymer version, count me in. Like the Sig P365. I like it for size, capacity and weight, but sadly they have a questionable track record at best. Maybe version 5.2 will have all the bugs worked out.

I completely understand why you're retiring your P series.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis View Post
    Every time I hear someone compromising because they don't want to carry an expensive gun I shake my head.

I will always carry a P7M8...at least until there exists a pistol that is completely disarmed during carry and gives me a better advantage in a gun fight. There is no gun, no matter how much you could sell it for, that is worth more than your life. And if you find yourself in an actual fight for your life a design feature that provides even a fraction of a second advantage could keep you on this side of the dirt.

If a P7 saves my life and the court system takes it I'll gladly buy another regardless of price. I say that rhetorically -- I own enough of them that it wouldn't be an issue. Think long and hard before you part with a trusted companion because some chachi paid $3500 for a PD trade in on Gouge Broker.
    That assumes we are compromising. I shoot my P7s very well. But I also shoot my PPQ M2 and Beretta Nano very well too. Now, if I was retiring my P7 for a Remington R51 or the newest subcompact Kimber, yea, I get your point as you don’t even know if they would work when and if you need them unlike your P7, Walther, Glock, HK, etc. that always work.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BB61 View Post
    That assumes we are compromising.
    Safe assumption. The P7 series of pistol is without equal.
    AutoLode likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The P7 is beautiful, reliable and accurate.

It is also heavy for its size, low capacity for size and get hot as bejeebers if you train with it.

There are better carry options now a days.
    zart312 likes this.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

BSOE,

While I DO understand your sentiment. Honestly I do. But are you implying that you can ONLY shoot a P7 well? I would kind of doubt that. Do you LIKE shooting your P7 well? Yeah, I do get that.

When you address the fact that you COULD use a different firearm that provides you the same (BETTER?) protection? Then you might have a case. My USPC in .357 sig, I shoot exceedingly well. AND I LOVE THE BOOM AND THE FLAME out the front. And I carry four more rounds in my mags than you can in your M8.

And lets be real clear here. HK quit making the P7 and the P7 M8 mags. So eventually you (or worse, your children) could find themselves with a great firearm with only one or two working mags and no way to replace them. You have seen the prices both of these mags are now bringing, right? Perhaps a USA mag producer will make them when the price reaches $200 per mag? Can't say. Cough, magpul, cough.

I could say the same about USP mags, just not yet as HK is still making them. Plus I've bought a ton of them used, cleaned them up and put them away - same as I did with my P7 collection. But I'm finished with the P7's ONLY because they are now past my comfort point of ownership. There are a lot of P7 collectors that love this pistol way more than I do. Hopefully you have put a ton of P7 mags stashed away for your children. Great. Right up to the point that they find that they don't have the passion that you do for the P7 (remember, we all die) and someone offers them way more than they ever thought they were worth. Then they will thank your memory and pocket the money. C'est la vie.

Not saying your premise is wrong, I do think that you have chosen a firearm you shoot very well and really enjoy shooting it. Deep down, you also like the fact that YOU CARRY that expensive firearm and there is nothing wrong with that. Some of us don't. NO BIG DEAL on either side of that equation.

But I can protect myself quite well with any of my USP's, be they compact, full size and/or ELITE (which I don't own yet). But I doubt I would EVER carry that ELITE, but it would be nice to have. MAYBE a USP 40 tactical? Or even a USPC 40 tactical?

So many possibilities. So many options. NOT dissing the P7 (any of them). They are sweet pistols.

Plus I've decided to move most of that P7 money into a couple of MR762 rifles (with all the associated bits & bobs) and changing direction like that does cost me $$$. So I decided now was the time to sell.

Again, no big deal, just a personal choice.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I shoot my VP9s quite well and (blecth) Glocks too but neither of those, nor the USP, nor anything else share the design features that make the P7 the ultimate carry weapon: from the fact that little hands can't possibly render the pistol operational to the low bore axis and piston delayed blowback that virtually eliminate muzzle rise.

You would have a point about the magazines if I hadn't had the forethought to purchase a nearly inexhaustible supply of mags and springs. Mag springs are still available through Wolff, as are action springs.

Honestly, how much a P7 is worth doesn't influence my decision to carry one in either direction. They could be priced like a Taurus 38spl or a Ford Taurus and I'd still carry one.

But you're right, personal choice, nbd -- it just seems silly that one would make their choice of weapon based on a couple thousand dollars. That figure will seem a pittance next to your legal fees should you ever defend yourself with your CCW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis View Post
    the fact that little hands can't possibly render the pistol operational
    Speaking in absolutes can be dangerous. Forgive me, but I couldn't let this one go. If your safety net involves counting on little ones not figuring this out......

Just retired my P7M8 CCW-20181107_165020.jpg

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Speaking in absolutes can be dangerous. Forgive me, but I couldn't let this one go. If your safety net involves counting on little ones not figuring this out......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181107_165020.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	218550
    A good point -- not a substitute for education and meticulous weapon accountability. It certainly isn't like I come home and toss it to them to play with. As with any weapon, if it's not in my hands or on my body it is locked up. BUT -- in the event of an error, a moment of carelessness while exhausted, etc (we are all human after all) a catastrophe with a chambered striker fired gun like a Glock or VP9 is imminent and exponentially more likely than a child's hand depressing that lever and trigger at once with most of his body weight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links