Just retired my P7M8 CCW - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Just retired my P7M8 CCW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis View Post
    Safe assumption. The P7 series of pistol is without equal.
    Yes and no. They are heavy and not conducive for long range or training sessions based upon how fast they heat up. That being said, I’ve qualified numerous times with mine and won a few steel plate challenges. But, they don’t fit well in universal holsters (think Coronado leather jackets/coats or Galco day planners). With all that said, I’ love to see a polymer based P7 series pistol. I think the cost savings of a polymer frame could make the P7 financially viable again and become a very popular CCW weapon.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis View Post
    I shoot my VP9s quite well and (blecth) Glocks too but neither of those, nor the USP, nor anything else share the design features that make the P7 the ultimate carry weapon: from the fact that little hands can't possibly render the pistol operational to the low bore axis and piston delayed blowback that virtually eliminate muzzle rise.

You would have a point about the magazines if I hadn't had the forethought to purchase a nearly inexhaustible supply of mags and springs. Mag springs are still available through Wolff, as are action springs.

Honestly, how much a P7 is worth doesn't influence my decision to carry one in either direction. They could be priced like a Taurus 38spl or a Ford Taurus and I'd still carry one.

But you're right, personal choice, nbd -- it just seems silly that one would make their choice of weapon based on a couple thousand dollars. That figure will seem a pittance next to your legal fees should you ever defend yourself with your CCW.
    And just in case you did not see this thread, HK is stepping up for now with new P7 mags for $60.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hkpro-s-...m10-p7m13.html

And allow me to revisit my comment about you giving these to your children. ADMIRABLE IDEA. If they want to have anything to do with firearms when they grow up - if they are allowed. The future is at best - fluid.

I have too many stories of an older family member giving a younger member a super nice gift/possession and that person thanks them for the gift, uses it for a short period (if at all) and then sells it because it doesn't mean to them what it meant to the person who gave it to them.

WAY TOO MANY STORIES.
    mew and bastardsonofelvis like this.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

^Yeah, that sucks and is sad. I hope I'm raising my boys better than that. As far as what they're allowed to do -- I hope I'm raising them better than to give a shlt about what they're 'allowed' to do to defend themselves too. All of us should be.

I picked up some M13 mags that I flatly don't need lol. Couldn't resist.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Interesting comments and thoughts here, it's good to see such respect and input.

No other commonly available pistol offers the safety of the unique operation of the P7.
    It's not a combat tool or one that is to be used in an aggressive or offensive role, it's purely defensive. As such there is zero problem for me with the heat issue. A box of ammo is plenty to determine I can still shoot and hit with it very well, it gets warm, I lay it aside and call it done. It gets cleaned and put back into my EDC holster.
    Plastic, comfy sofas, large TVs, and potato chips are a bigger weight problem for today's CCW person. Funny how the 50 pounds someone has gained since he was 20 years old is ok but the fact the P7 weighs 28oz is a deal breaker.
    I've said it before, the average street punk most likely has never seen a P7 nor does he know how it works. That'll buy some precious time to react to a FUBAR and that's good enough reason to carry it. The fact that I can hit what I desire, where I desire to hit it, within typical self defense range is a second good reason to carry it.
    The average self defense encounter is over in seconds with zero to a couple of rounds fired. Capacity is not a problem and if it becomes a problem I carry a spare mag. I may also want to rethink where I go and what I'm doing, should I need more than 8 rounds.
    Seven rounds worked for the US Army for 75 years.

To each their own and good on them for choosing a pistol that fits them and their needs. But lets not make excuses for not using one of the most fantastic pistols ever made for the purpose.

Price? IMHO, if price is a deciding factor over the two reasons I listed above then that says something more about the person than the pistol.

Shoot what you enjoy, enjoy what you shoot.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkshooterusp View Post
    Interesting comments and thoughts here, it's good to see such respect and input.

No other commonly available pistol offers the safety of the unique operation of the P7.
    It's not a combat tool or one that is to be used in an aggressive or offensive role, it's purely defensive. As such there is zero problem for me with the heat issue. A box of ammo is plenty to determine I can still shoot and hit with it very well, it gets warm, I lay it aside and call it done. It gets cleaned and put back into my EDC holster.
    Plastic, comfy sofas, large TVs, and potato chips are a bigger weight problem for today's CCW person. Funny how the 50 pounds someone has gained since he was 20 years old is ok but the fact the P7 weighs 28oz is a deal breaker.
    I've said it before, the average street punk most likely has never seen a P7 nor does he know how it works. That'll buy some precious time to react to a FUBAR and that's good enough reason to carry it. The fact that I can hit what I desire, where I desire to hit it, within typical self defense range is a second good reason to carry it.
    The average self defense encounter is over in seconds with zero to a couple of rounds fired. Capacity is not a problem and if it becomes a problem I carry a spare mag. I may also want to rethink where I go and what I'm doing, should I need more than 8 rounds.
    Seven rounds worked for the US Army for 75 years.

To each their own and good on them for choosing a pistol that fits them and their needs. But lets not make excuses for not using one of the most fantastic pistols ever made for the purpose.

Price? IMHO, if price is a deciding factor over the two reasons I listed above then that says something more about the person than the pistol.

Shoot what you enjoy, enjoy what you shoot.
    Some good points. Though I would argue that in the military your primary weapon is a rifle and a side arm is your last line of defense. In the civilian world you side arm is your primary defensive weapon.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Although I love the gun and always have, just because I have chosen to carry a different gun that I shoot equally as well doesn't make it about my priorities. The Hk is awesome like a vintage Ferrari however I'm fine with carrying something in tune like a Corvette.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I said earlier :

And lets be real clear here. HK quit making the P7 and the P7 M8 mags. So eventually you (or worse, your children) could find themselves with a great firearm with only one or two working mags and no way to replace them. You have seen the prices both of these mags are now bringing, right? Perhaps a USA mag producer will make them when the price reaches $200 per mag? Can't say. Cough, magpul, cough.

So maybe NOT magpul

HOW ABOUT PRO MAG P7 M8 mag? Ok, not HK, but still for $35 it's not a bad deal. THIS may wake HK up to the fact that THEY should make some more REAL P7 mags and TAKE ALL OUR MONEY FOR THEM...

just sayin

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HK-H-K-P7-M...!-1:rk:37:pf:0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with BSOE: carry what works for you. I remember when P7s were priced $900-$1,000 (new!!). They were a bit out of reach for me then as a cash poor college kid. I ended up buying a USP .40 with no regrets at about $600.00. I supposed it's one thing if you have a NIB P7 safe queen. It's another if you have already been carrying it and shooting it a while. 8rds v 15rds; polymer v steel v aluminum frame; use what works for you. There isn't one right answer. The last thing I would be worrying about would be having the pistol placed in evidence during a self defense shoot. If you are justified; you will get it back, eventually, maybe even years later. It the mean time, you could carry on with one of the lower cost pistol options.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's about getting replacement parts to keep the P7 up and running. Any stocked HK supply will only last so long. I went from a carry P7 to a P2000SK. If we were talking 1911's or AR-15's there are tons of parts made from lots of different sources.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Definitely would not let the value of a P7 determine whether or not to carry one. If You have one you should already have the basic replacement parts. As far as mags you can still get mag springs and should have a couple of complete spare mags.

I doubt too many people are going to shoot theirs enough to break something or need a replacement mag anyway. I practice with a P7M8 all the time but I don't see where I will break anything. It is not like they are fragile or cheap made firearms.

IF You feel like you need it serviced there is Marine 0303. Of course if you want to carry something else have at it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links