Has HK dropped the USP 40 Tactical pistol from it's line up? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Has HK dropped the USP 40 Tactical pistol from it's line up?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

With the help of some friends, we compared the barrels of P30 in 40 and P30 in 9mm. The outer diameter of the 9 is smaller, it is loose in the 40 slide. The locking of the 9 barrel is also more narrow and it does not fill the gap in the 40 slide.
    Then we compared the barrels of P30 in 40 and USP in 40. The diameters are the same and the width of the locking is the same.
    We need to see what is the comparison of the 9 and 40 USP barrels.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The outer diameter of the USP 40 barrel is larger than the USP 9mm barrel. The hole for the barrel to rest in the slide is proportional to the slide. The 9mm barrel will have unsecured movement in a 40 slide at the front of the slide. As best as i can tell the chamber exterior specs are the same size where it locks into the slide.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thank you Turkina. That leaves the EFK barrels as the only viable conversion option. If only HK would do factory conversion barrels...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I bet they did I saw them brand new selling for CRAZY low prices a few months back like I never thought I'd see a USP Tactical for sale. Around 700 bucks if I remember.

I doubt any dealers are going to order anymore as slow as they've been moving.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I will have my two barrels in on Saturday - I will post it up then.

But I will guarantee you that it will fit, as there is NO difference between the two barrels.

If you shoot me an email, I will even take pictures.

I HAVE A USP Compact 40 and the HK USPC .357 sig barrel and guess what? FITS PERFECTLY!!

IF these HK 9mm barrels do not fit, I will be personally surprised. But they will fit and I will shoot you a picture of my full size USP 40 with the 9mm TACTICAL barrel in it. I won’t get to the range in a week or so, but it will work perfectly.

I’ve done this with other HK’s (USP compact) and Glock 22/23 that both had Glock 17 and Glock 19 barrels and both fit perfectly and functioned exactly as you would expect. My HK USP Compact 40 has an HK USP .357 sig barrel and it’s a great set up that is my EDC. I have it on me right now - we are out running errands as I type this
    Last edited by wallew; 11-16-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are not supposed to use a G17/G19 barrel in a G22/23.
    The outer diameter of the barrel is a bit smaller, and it does not fill the slide correctly. Then it can drag on the slide and create problems.
    There was a better video on this, but I cannot find it at the moment. Here is one that mentions it: https://youtu.be/YGF3ABO2U9s?t=298

As for 357 SIG, while it has a 9mm projectile, it is a necked down 40 casing. So it is much closer to 40 than the 9mm is. Even the Glock magazines for both 357 and 40 are the same.
    I guess after accommodating the wider brass, the manufacturers have the choice to make the rest of the barrel skinnier.
    However, that would mean yet one more slide to make for a wider lock breech and a narrower business end.
    Plus of course, the pressure of the 357 SIG is much higher than 9mm so that thicker walls could be necessary (I know nothing of metallurgy).
    So incidentally or on purpose, all 357 barrels I know of (not an expert) have the same external dimensions as the 40 for that model.

On the positive side, if the barrel does not work in USP 40, you have a great reason to buy USP 9. :-)

Again, please post results when you get the barrels.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    Well maybe in a hundred years but right now .40s are much cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meh, seems like as soon as a company discontinues a gun people want it again. Gun comes out, no one buys it, gets discontinued, everyone wants it since it's discontinued.

I've bought two guns on sale because they were being discontinued, only to sell them a few months later for a profit.

Anyway, makes no difference. Mines not for sale so it matters not.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Well, for what ever reason, the USPS couldn't find one of my two packages that were supposed to be here on Saturday.

I have notification that is was delivered. But the people there can't find it. I told them I would check back first thing Monday morning.

But as soon as I get back from the USPS, I WILL post pictures, including one of it installed in my FS USP 40
    HKaltwasser likes this.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

All this info comes from HK-USA.com/webstore.

Well the two USP barrels 9mm and 40 are both the same length (4.25in) .

In looking at the USP 9mm threaded barrel, it says specifically on the listing:
    Will not work with USP expert and Elite

In looking at the USP 40 threaded barrel, it says specifically:
    Spare barrel for your full size USP40 or USP40 Tactical
    This barrel will not fit or work in the USP Compact pistols

What neither listing says - won't fit USP 9mm or won't fit USP 40 (depending on which one you look at)

Hopefully tomorrow I can put calipers on both barrels and on my USP 40 - what I can tell you is on my USPC 40 is currently running an HK USPC .357 sig barrel and it fits and functions correctly AND is the exact same size as the USPC 40 barrel. I've GOT to order a USPC 9mm barrel. These USP 9mm full sized barrels just popped up and I jumped on them.

We will see.
    Last edited by wallew; 11-18-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Ok, my two HK 9mm tactical barrels showed up today.

The 9mm barrel diameter is smaller by .030 - three hundredths

The 9mm tactical barrel has a diameter of .540 and the 40 cal barrel has a diameter of .570.

It fits the full size USP 40 well. even with approximately .015 gap at the top and a little less on each side and LOCKS UP TIGHT IN BATTERY.

I consider this a great purchase at a very good price.

As promised, pix :

Full size USP 40 w/9mm tactical barrel with thread cover on the end
    Has HK dropped the USP 40 Tactical pistol from it's line up?-usp-40-w-9mm-tactical-barrel.jpg

Clearance on the bottom with thread cover on the end
    Has HK dropped the USP 40 Tactical pistol from it's line up?-usp-fifteen-thousandths-bottom-gap.jpg

Clearance on the top with out the thread cover on the threads
    Has HK dropped the USP 40 Tactical pistol from it's line up?-usp-15-thousandths-gap-tactical-barrel.jpg

Clearance on the top with the thread cover on the end
    Has HK dropped the USP 40 Tactical pistol from it's line up?-usp-40-w-9mm-tactical-barrel-thread-cover.jpg

The USP 40 with 9mm tactical barrel installed and the 40 cal barrel and the second 9mm tactical
    Has HK dropped the USP 40 Tactical pistol from it's line up?-usp-40-w-9mm-tactical-40-9mm-barrels.jpg

I've tried very hard to be completely honest with everyone here. SOME folks won't like this type of replacement barrel. I think FOR THE MONEY, it's a great buy. I'll take it out and shoot it. I suspect that It will hit MOM (minute of man) all day long. With the barrel locking up tightly it will probably do much better than MOM, but I won't know until I go out and shoot it, sometime after Turkey day.

MOM is all I'm trying to accomplish. So for a total of $202 shipped with two barrels and two thread covers. Shipping was free BECAUSE I purchased four non-firearms items - two barrels and two thread covers.

Don't ask me to explain why two barrels is considered a 'non-firearm item' - unless you consider the fact that it is a firearm PART, not a full firearm? That's the only explanation that makes any sense.
    Last edited by wallew; 11-19-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links