Question about Stainless slides
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Stainless slides

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Question about Stainless slides

Is there any positive or negative to the USP Stainless models?
    is Stainless stronger or weaker than the typical slides?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm contemplating purchasing a USP 40 and buying a drop in .357Sig barrel.

My assumption is there should be no problem as the 40 slide should be beefy as is and take any negligible pressure increase.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Metallurgically, the materials are slightly different. In this application there is no practical difference.

FWIW, my KI (1998) stainless USPc .45 slide looks today like it did when new -- no cosmetic, wear or peening issues anywhere. Same for my new-to-me KH (1997) full size stainless USP .45.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to drop in a .357 SIG barrel into a USP .40, either my standard finish full size .40 or a stainless version.
    Last edited by mneblett; 11-15-2018 at 07:56 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thank you....confidence level high!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)

People have been doing it for years!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Metallurgically, the materials are slightly different. In this application there is no practical difference.

FWIW, my KI (1998) stainless USPc .45 slide looks today like it did when new -- no cosmetic, wear or peening issues anywhere. Same for my new-to-me KH (1997) full size stainless USP .45.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to drop in a .357 SIG barrel into a USP .40, either my standard finish full size .40 or a stainless version.
    I would hesitate but for a different reason, they don't work reliably, tried two different ones, always jams on the 4th or 5th round. (The 357 sig barrel for the VP40 is flawless, for me at least, over 1200 rounds, never a jam, no noticeable wear)
    HK USPc 357 Sig (match trigger)
    HK VP357 Sig (40 with RCM 357 barrel) (match trigger)
    HK USPc 40 with German 357 barrel installed (match trigger)
    Walther P99 AS (Many 9mm and 40)
    Class 3 Colt M4
    Class 3 Colt Commando
    Class 3 HK MP 5

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Question about Stainless slides

There is no 357 barrel for a full size USP. It had feeding issue due to magazine I believe. But not an issue on Compact.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ar2088 View Post
    There is no 357 barrel for a full size USP. It had feeding issue due to magazine I believe. But not an issue on Compact.
    There are no OEM full size USP .357Sig barrels, correct. There are aftermarket though (RCM for example). There is a reason HK never produced the OEM barrel, so if I were to ever get one I’d only use it as a range fun gun due to the reliability concerns. Definitely agree no issues on the compact, it’s my EDC.
    ”What do you want to discuss now, my favorite color?”–Col. Nathan R. Jessup

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I have a KH USP compact 40 - that I purchased an HK USP .357 compact barrel for.

On a recent trip out, seven mags (12 rounds each) went through without a hiccup - pretty much as fast as I could pull the trigger. Lots of flame and noise (loud boom/very large flame) with every pull of the trigger.

LOVE THIS SETUP. It's my EDC. I'm looking at buying a USP Compact in .357 sig - they don't come up often, but they do come up every once and a while.

You can't go wrong with this setup IMHO. Go for it.
    Last edited by wallew; 11-15-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I already have a USPc .357Sig.

I was more wanting a project gun to work on. I was looking at the EFK barrels and didn't realize they made the full size option so it got me thinking.

Rockets
    I'm curious why the slide doesn't cycle 100%. I would think since the round has more pressure than a 40 that it wouldn't have any problems.
    I notice you have a match trigger on your compact...I thought compacts didn't have room for match trigger internals.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Below are a sample of previous threads regarding this...The search function works, I’m sure there are other threads as well, similar to your thinking. If you want to give it a try, go for it. You live once right? Have fun with it. Some will say it works just fine, others cite issues, all fodder until you can verify yourself and kill your curiosity. HK never released a factory full size USP .357Sig, period. There is a reason for that, whatever it is. They did release a factory USPc, P2000 and P2000SK in the caliber. So, if a full size USP with an aftermarket .357Sig barrel floats your boat, get in the boat, sling some lead and let us know how it goes.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...0-357-sig.html

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...-size-usp.html

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...ze-pistol.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links