HK USP Mag spring
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HK USP Mag spring

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default HK USP Mag spring

How often do you change the mag spring? I am experiencing some problems with my USP because of the weak Mag spring. The design of USP that it's your mag follower pushes the slide realse up to lock up the slide when the mag is empty.
    I have 10 mags and all of them are loaded all the time. I am sure the mag springs are pressed that they become weak after a while even though some of them I have never used in the range.

This is probably my only doubt about USP pistols.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

these are the best replacement springs instead of the HK IMO if you have weak mag springs. I have found
    the factory to be similar to your experience.
    https://www.gunsprings.com/HK%20-%20...1/mID26/dID136
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I thought magazine springs degraded more when being cycled rather than just left loaded.
    HK - No Compromise

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

mew
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

that is the general consensus but not my experience with the 12rd USP mags. but all the mags I've used over time
    were well worn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Outside of extreme operating temps and/or conditions, creep won't degrade the performance of a spring. Cyclical loading of the spring will be the driver of any fatigue/failure modes for a magazine spring.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Every year I would order the + mag springs from Wolff. Once I started doing that, I never had another problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

5. How often should I change magazine spring? Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds?

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and are the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as in law enforcement and personal/home defense applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs in which the magazines are loaded up only when shooting.

Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. In many older pistol designs, maximum capacity was not the always the goal such as with the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was room for more spring material in these guns which reduces overall stress and increases the usable life of the spring.

More recently higher capacity magazine have become popular. These are designed to hold more rounds with less spring material often in the same space. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause it to fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but it is not always practical.

In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded at all times, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs. Regular shooting of the pistol is the best way to be sure the springs are still functioning reliably.

Just bought 10 mag spring form them. I went to the range yesterday, with 9/10 of my mags won't lock up the slide. HK mag spring...

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iviax View Post
    5. How often should I change magazine spring? Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds?

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and are the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as in law enforcement and personal/home defense applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs in which the magazines are loaded up only when shooting.

Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. In many older pistol designs, maximum capacity was not the always the goal such as with the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was room for more spring material in these guns which reduces overall stress and increases the usable life of the spring.

More recently higher capacity magazine have become popular. These are designed to hold more rounds with less spring material often in the same space. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause it to fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but it is not always practical.

In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded at all times, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs. Regular shooting of the pistol is the best way to be sure the springs are still functioning reliably.

Just bought 10 mag spring form them. I went to the range yesterday, with 9/10 of my mags won't lock up the slide. HK mag spring...
    10's of Millions of cars laying up in junk yards, that would say you are wrong. Because they all have front springs that have kept them off their frames, AFTER 10's of thousands of cycles.

1000's of metalurlagists, that would say you are wrong, as well. Not to mention spring companies, that laugh at the notion.

A springs degradation, all things equal, is a direct correlation to cycles. It cares not, if it is compressed or decompressed.

Go grab a metal clothes hanger out of your closet and bend it back and forth, till it breaks. Than immediately touch were it broke...HEAT DID THAT and the heat that was created, was from you bending or cycling the steel. Where do the overwhelming majority of spring failures happen? At the bend, of course.

In order to prove myself correct. I am willing to buy you 2 mags of your choice. One in which you will keep loaded and not use. The other you will use exclusively until the spring no longer functions your firearm. You will keep a detailed record of how many rounds to failure to feed. At that point, you will do the same for the mag that has been left loaded.

I will guarantee, both mags will fire approximately the same amount of rounds to within +/- 2%. Mags springs, come off of a spool, run through a machine to be straightend and formed. If a spring fails aka it breaks, it happened well before the spring machine worked its magic aka a manufacturing defect, before it was spooled.

Some firearm companies, take mag springs seriously, HK has always been one of them. I have sent in a HK spring to a local spring company that works with NASA,JPL and Boeing...they couldnt believe a firearm manufacture put that level of thought into a spring, most dont.

To the OP, how many rounds are you getting out of a spring? I have 4 USPc mags that have 5k a piece and are still running strong.

mew
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by armtx77 View Post
    In order to prove myself correct. I am willing to buy you 2 mags of your choice. One in which you will keep loaded and not use. The other you will use exclusively until the spring no longer functions your firearm. You will keep a detailed record of how many rounds to failure to feed. At that point, you will do the same for the mag that has been left loaded.
    I will take you up on your offer, 10rd. HK45c mags please. pm me for my address and I will get right on this experiment........

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by armtx77 View Post
    . that have 5k a piece and are still running strong.
    All the mags that I have I bought them used. Some come with the gun, some purchased here and AR15.com.

Round counts are unknown. But two of them are in very new condition when I got them. Those probably have 5k rounds in total.

The article I quote is from the FAQ section of Wolff website.

I personally have used glock, sig, 1911s, browning, Walther mags...never experienced this. Some new, some used, especially crappy Preban glock mags

I am positive that the new mag springs I just purchased will resolve the issue. But I have to keep this note for the future reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links