Grays Guns v. Lazy Wolf - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Grays Guns v. Lazy Wolf

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bmbutch View Post
    My LGS ships for me, highest handgun cost was $25, last time it was Owner, he only charged me $10.
    Mine are around $50 - $25 shipping and $25 for running it through their book. I do it this way when I'm selling a piece.

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disregarded9-side View Post
    Has anyone handled pistols with trigger jobs by both?
    Yes, but it is not going to be much helpful to you. I owned guns done by both, in fact, still have one, but the GGI guns was done before Rick's departure so I presume they were done by him. I think that he took most, if not all of GGI's HK business with him. I've not seen any reports about recent GGI's H&K work so you might be out of luck comparing current levels of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    I don't expect the gunsmith to carry the cost - he can charge me $25 for shipping, which is about what it costs an FFL to ship. Without him providing the shipping label I have to pay $75 one way. Providing a shipping label is not an uncommon arrangement.
    I am sure that if he could provide you a label at 25 bucks, he would, considering that it would facilitate a growth of his business. 25 bucks FFL shipping cost is a cost of USPS shipping that requires that it is shipped by FFL with their copy is enclosed. Every shipping label that I have ever received, and those were by Smith and Wesson, Kahr, Cajun Gun Works, and CZ, were FedEx labels and you know what those cost.
    Last edited by YVK; 12-19-2018 at 03:47 AM.
    Disregarded9-side likes this.
    “When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
    "What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
    "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
    Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.”

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I don't expect the gunsmith to carry the cost - he can charge me $25 for shipping, which is about what it costs an FFL to ship. Without him providing the shipping label I have to pay $75 one way. Providing a shipping label is not an uncommon arrangement.
    Just so I'm understanding correctly, you are the owner of an expensive handgun (HK), looked into having expensive trigger work done by the top gunsmith for said manufacturer (quality work costs more), but in the ended decided against it over fifty dollars?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am sure that if he could provide you a label at 25 bucks, he would, considering that it would facilitate a growth of his business. 25 bucks FFL shipping cost is a cost of USPS shipping that requires that it is shipped by FFL with their copy is enclosed. Every shipping label that I have ever received, and those were by Smith and Wesson, Kahr, Cajun Gun Works, and CZ, were FedEx labels and you know what those cost.
    I too have never had a manufacturer provide me with a USPS label. Has ALWAYS been either UPS or FedEx... always.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyno View Post
    Just so I'm understanding correctly, you are the owner of an expensive handgun (HK), looked into having expensive trigger work done by the top gunsmith for said manufacturer (quality work costs more), but in the ended decided against it over fifty dollars?
    I found this amusing as well. You get what you pay for, and in this case pay nothing, get nothing. IMHO, it's worth the $50 premium! Jaywalker should just go for it. It's an investment, not an expense.
    Last edited by Vincent04; 12-19-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes, you're reading it right. It's a service I want from gunsmiths, and I've been doing it that way for decades.

The next cheaper route is to have my local gun store (LGS) ship it for me, but if I do that he has to run it though his books and charge me for that service - say $50 total - and I then have to go to the LGS to pick it up instead of having it shipped to my house.

So, let me get this straight - you've never asked a gunsmith about providing you a shipping label, even though doing so might save you $50?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Lazy Wolf every day and twice on Sunday. The wait is long (very long - have other HK’s to shoot while you wait), but 100% worth it and Rick is very friendly and helpful, willing to discuss any questions you may have.

He used to be the main HK guy at GGI, and then he started his own business - so it sounds to me that the best and most experienced HK gunsmith is st LWG, not GGI. That said, you probably wouldn’t be disappointed by either vendor.

I know I’ll never be happy with a P30 again that hasn’t been blessed by Rick’s handiwork. The P30 starts out as a decent, workable duty pistol, and after his trigger work is a work of art. Much, much better reset and completely smooth. And yes, do the nickel-boron coating or whatever it’s called, definitely.
    Last edited by TLOU_Joel; 12-19-2018 at 11:48 AM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too have never had a manufacturer provide me with a USPS label. Has ALWAYS been either UPS or FedEx... always.

Correct. USPS regulations forbid anyone other than a "license holder" (read: FFL) from shipping a handgun to another "license holder" via their services.

Additional details from the ATF: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...postal-service

Thus, as you (customer) are the shipper, USPS will not allow you ship a handgun to yourself or to an FFL. It must be between FFLs. That is why the only labels you would ever see sent to you would be from a third-party "common carrier".
    HK and Sci Fi Nut.

YVK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes, you're reading it right. It's a service I want from gunsmiths, and I've been doing it that way for decades.
    Can you share what courier's labels were provided to you by your gunsmiths?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disregarded9-side View Post
    Here we have two relevant posts out of 19.
    When I made the OP, I was still under the impression that Glocktalk was the proper forum to discuss varying levels of understanding surrounding the realities of shipping options (or that 9/11 was an inside job, mumps are good in Elementary schools or [pick your favorite] Clinton/Trump foundation currently under investigation).
    I hear nothing but good things about rick. and your right OP, I don't know why people sidetracked this thread.
    As long as its not a Colt Rotary Bolt Pistol, Ruger Striker Fire, or Mossberg Lever ill try it. Pass on Smith & Wesson.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links