USP 40 duty ammo reliability issues
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: USP 40 duty ammo reliability issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default USP 40 duty ammo reliability issues

I have a 2001 manufactured USP 40, which I recently installed a new recoil spring assembly, as well as enhanced: trigger return spring, firing pin block, firing pin block spring, and hammer spring. I have also replaced the magazine springs in 5 of the magazines, as they were OEM. The issue I have been running into is I cannot get quality duty ammo to run reliably in the gun, it runs fmj ammo flawlessly. I have tried HST 180 gr as well as Speer 180 gr Gold Dot, both of these have had failure to feed issues where the rounds jam into the feed ramp and will not chamber. I ordered some Hornady Critical Duty to try out as well, as the cavity plug may eliminate this issue, but honestly this problem is frustrating since all of the functional springs have been replaced. Has anybody else run into this issue? If so were you able to find a reputable duty load that worked will in your USP?
    "Do not go gentle into that good night...rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have 2 USP 40s. Have never had any issues from any style of ammo. 1 of them had 20k+ rounds through it. Have shot fmj, silvertip, hst, tap, golden saber(I don't shoot Remington ammo of any caliber anymore because there is always unburned powder left over). Black Talons and Ranger T's. Blazer brass, and federals. The feed ramps are normally very smooth on HKs. Is there any substantial buildup there?
    HKMYSTER likes this.
    "God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." - Daniel Webster

PC7
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mine runs fine with HST ammo.
    You might want to send it to HK.
    WolfieRules likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah. The 180 gr HST is our duty ammo. Good stuff, in my opinion. We started out with USP40 compacts and then they issued additional P2000's. A lot of guys bought personal USP40 Compacts, too. Then they stopped allowing the personally owned USP40 compacts and Sig P229's to be carried. The USP40 Compacts are slowly being phased out when agents turn them in, for no particular reason. Both work pretty much perfectly with the federal 180 gr. Our prior ammo was Federal, Remington and Winchester Ranger 155 gr. bonded hollow points. The guns devoured that ammo too with almost never a problem.

Maybe some of the new parts are not mating well? Did it do this with the old parts and springs?
    "Remain yourself, in spite of all the mighty do."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Did your USP feed hp reliably before you update springs and parts? Are you the original owner?
    DarkeWolf, dpadams6 and Vincent04 like this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by racegunner View Post
    Did your USP feed hp reliably before you update springs and parts? Are you the original owner?
    That's the important questions, right there.
    Along with, was it having feeding issues BEFORE swapping out all the springs?
    How many rounds have you run thru it to break them in, before going with the HP?
    Have you tried using the original recoil spring assembly?

Did you get an entire recoil assembly, or did you take apart the original, to mount new springs?
    dpadams6 and Vincent04 like this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was a work issued gun formally, that we were able to purchase from our employer after they were being retired from service. It ran fine on HP ammo back when we ran HP, unfortunately we ran FMJ ammo for the last few years that it was in service. I can't see any kind of build up on the feed ramp, but am going to give it a thorough cleaning before testing it again with the Hornady CD & my remaining HST. I was very surprised to have any issues as these were very sporadically cleaned during their years in service (depended on the individual that it was issued to) and very rarely were there any reliability issues with any of our 100+ USPs, the reason I chose this specific one as a 2nd USP was that it was a sequential serial number with mine. It was an entire recoil assembly and it had basically no break in with the new springs, less than 100 rounds of FMJ before running the HP through it.
    Last edited by Skeletor87; 01-14-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor87 View Post
    It was a work issued gun formally, that we were able to purchase from our employer after they were being retired from service. It ran fine on HP ammo back when we ran HP, unfortunately we ran FMJ ammo for the last few years that it was in service. I can't see any kind of build up on the feed ramp, but am going to give it a thorough cleaning before testing it again with the Hornady CD & my remaining HST. I was very surprised to have any issues as these were very sporadically cleaned during their years in service (depended on the individual that it was issued to) and very rarely were there any reliability issues with any of our 100+ USPs, the reason I chose this specific one as a 2nd USP was that it was a sequential serial number with mine. It was an entire recoil assembly and it had basically no break in with the new springs, less than 100 rounds of FMJ before running the HP through it.
    Heyas Skeletor! Ok, gonna post this before I crash out for the night.
    Generally, when problem solving, when it worked before...the obvious question is did something break, or did something change? A lot has changed.
    So we then start off with the simplest/easiest and work to the hardest.
    In this case, the recoil assembly. 1) It's the most likely cause. Especially if it's a 3rd part set. Not saying that it is, but if it was, that's our prime suspect. And 2) It's the easiest to swap back.
    Tho too, I'd recommend running some more ball thru it first. Just to break all those springs in. Probly middle weight, like 180gr. Especially with some of those longer nose hollowpoints, you want to make sure that the recoil assembly is well broken in to clear that longer length.

Sequential numbers!! VERY NICE!!! CONGRATS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a factory HK recoil spring assembly. I'm going to beat it up with a bunch of range ammo one day this week (hopefully) and then see how it goes. Is there anyway that the magazine body and/or follower could be part of the issue? The 5 magazines that I installed new mag springs in were post-ban ones, as well as the most visually newish looking ones. We never designated pistol magazines as range or duty magazines, so some sat loaded 24/7/365, and some had the springs cycled constantly. But hey, there were free-fitty so I'm not complaining. The when it worked before is the frustrating part for me, we basically ran parts in a run to fail setting, so when I bought mine I replaced the springs since I had no idea what they're round counts were. Unfortunately, as I mentioned earlier, the last time duty-type ammo was run through it would have been around 2012 when we used the last of our former duty ammo as range ammo. I picked the HK enhanced for the previously mentioned springs because that got the trigger weight closer to my P30 (trigger uniformity) OEM trigger.
    Last edited by Skeletor87; 01-15-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PC7 View Post
    Mine runs fine with HST ammo.
    You might want to send it to HK.
    But did you make changes to your USP like the OP did?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links