To VP9 or not? (from a p30 owner) - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: To VP9 or not? (from a p30 owner)

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo T. Baggins View Post
    I'll probably grab a VP9L when they're released rather than getting the VP9....
    That's a good decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent04 View Post
    That's a good decision.
    it might be subject to change whether or not they offer the grey/black vp9 in the long slide variant. Usually I abide by the henry ford mantra of "any color as long as it's black" but I do quite like the two tone on the vp9.
    If they don't offer it, I may end up getting a vp9 and doing the conversion instead. :)

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo T. Baggins View Post
    Thanks, Darke! I'm generally not a *huge* glock fan either. Though I know if I buy something for the purposes of bringing out that someone can try their first time shooting, it's a fair alternative to my P30 or USP, and while I can hand someone one of my .22's or a long gun, I'm not sure that's really sufficient, you know?

Having the P30, I already have mags that can work in the VP9 (which I guess offsets the cost of mags some).

How do you feel the VP9 compares to the beyond being hammer fired vs striker? Is there a reason to own both or too much overlap? Admittedly, the VP9 has shorter reset, though I like the longer takeup of my LEM P30... but is a bit longer of a barrel (3.85" vs 4.06 I believe?) which isn't very substantial of a difference really, though it's there. Is the recoil impulse that similar?

Oh, and the price is at a LGS. I know I can find a bit cheaper on buds, but I don't mind spending a bit more to support local. :)
    I own both the VP9 and the P30. The reason for doing so is that I love HK. Therefore, to me; there is no "overlap". Some days, I feel like carrying the VP9 and then some days I feel like carrying the P30. I also have the P30sk and the VP9sk for when I feel like carrying a smaller hammer fire or striker fire piece. I also own a few USP's as well. The only other brand that I specifically like outside of the HK's and also own a few of are the Walthers.
    Last edited by Militant; 01-25-2019 at 01:08 AM.
    DarkeWolf likes this.
    HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk
    HK45c HK USP45c HK USP9c
    HK USP45c Stainless
    HK USP40c Stainless

"Each man needs his own style one which suits him. And any wise man chooses one,
    matching his abilities and concentrates on that til' it's mastered quite completely. No man can learn them all!"

- Kung Fu Grand Master

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I own both the VP9 and the P30. The reason for doing so is that I love HK. Therefore, to me; there is no "overlap". Some days, I feel like carrying the VP9 and then some days I feel like carrying the P30. I also have the P30sk and the VP9sk for when I feel like carrying a smaller hammer fire or striker fire piece. I also own a few USP's as well. The only other brand that I specifically like outside of the HK's and also own a few of are the Walthers.
    That's an interesting anecdote. The PPQ felt a lot like the VP9 to me, though I liked the VP9 a lot more in terms of both grip and trigger. I compared the three of these in question back to back at my LGS with dry firing and testing reset.
    The gen5 g34 had a bit more creep than the other 2, though reset was fairly similar and pull weight was about the same. Grip wise, the 34 reminded me more of a USP with a sharper angle while the PPQ felt an awful lot more like a P30/VP9.
    It's interesting to note the commonality and differences among them.

I think my next purchase will be a VP9L or VP9 to convert with the long slide kit when it's available, something that came out after I began this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love my VP9, but if you want a range toy, I think it's hard to beat the Canik SFX, which also has a great trigger (if you install a Freedom Smith trigger, then it's all that much better). You can get an SFX with a Vortex Red Dot installed for about the prices you quoted for the Glock and HK. Again, I love HK guns and I don't mean to disrespect the forum by suggesting another brand but I want to honestly address the OP's request for comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I just wanted to update. I have the glock 34 gen 5 still on layaway... But... I did thing. I realized the best compromise is to buy both. 😂

There's my new vp9 in next to my p30.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails To VP9 or not? (from a p30 owner)-dsc_0250_1548442635823.jpg  
    DarkeWolf, 4X4, DarkeWolf and 1 others like this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

HAHAHA!!! I kinda thought that this was going to be an eventual thing for you, Bilbo!
    Welcome to the addiction brother, welcome to the addiction. ;)
    Congratulations. I know that you were kinda looking more for one in all black, but I hope that you end up liking the color scheme for the gray. Now, if those slides would hurry up and get here....
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf View Post
    HAHAHA!!! I kinda thought that this was going to be an eventual thing for you, Bilbo!
    Welcome to the addiction brother, welcome to the addiction. 😉
    Congratulations. I know that you were kinda looking more for one in all black, but I hope that you end up liking the color scheme for the gray. Now, if those slides would hurry up and get here....
    Maybe I'm that obvious! 😂
    The grey/black was actually my preference for it. They had the odg, black and one with a bronze slide. The real temptation was the stainless slide usp .40 sitting next to it. As I don't even have a .40. Though I think the one I'm kicking myself over was the used mk23 I let slip through my fingers last year.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Bilbo,
    I own multiple P30s and HAD a VP9. I owned it for less than a week. The recoil is very snappy compared to the P30.
    Just don't waste your funds on one. Send it to Grey's for s trigger job. It'll be money well spent.
    USP 9 V1 (KD) | P30S 9 (BA) | P30LS 9 (BA) | P30LV1 9 (BF) | VP9 (BF) | USP 9 Expert/JF (BD) | USP 45 Match (KH) | USP 45 Expert (KK) | P7M8 (IE/KD) | MK23 (BD) | HK P30SK V1 (BF) | P7M13 (TBD)
    MR556-Comp (BE) | MR556P (BF)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imacad View Post
    Bilbo,
    I own multiple P30s and HAD a VP9. I owned it for less than a week. The recoil is very snappy compared to the P30.
    Just don't waste your funds on one. Send it to Grey's for s trigger job. It'll be money well spent.
    Late tracking, but I picked up a VP9 today. I still have my P30 and don't plan on getting rid of it, as I'm not comfortable with a striker for a ccw and still really quite like the LEM trigger.
    I also have the gen5 glock 34 on layaway at a LGS which I should be picking up in a couple weeks. It's my 3rd HK for the stable. Nextup will likely either be a mark23 if I can find a reasonable deal or hk45.
    I do have a fondness for long slide handguns, whereby I think the mark23 definitely qualifies.

I have a few projects I'm juggling right now with firearms, one of which will be an upcoming kriss vector sdp. :)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links