HK45c - More Assembly Pain
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: HK45c - More Assembly Pain

ESR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default HK45c - More Assembly Pain

Being used to a USP 45 I figured an HK45c wouldn't be a problem. Wrong. The most irritating thing to me is the hammer spring and seat. Instead of one roll pin that holds the grip and the spring seat, the seat has its own cross pin. The seat has to be compressed some unbelievable amount to insert the cross pin. There is only a small slippery bump on the seat that can help to compress that spring. I'm sure that we are talking a special HK tool but I can't figure out what it might look like. You cannot do the job with your fingers. Any clever ways to approach re-assembly of the hammer spring?

Thanks!
    ESR

bp1
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Unless it's a lot different than the full size HK45, I used the chamfered (butt) end of a punch, pressing against the spring block to compress the hammer spring. (on a HK45)

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

The trick is use something to push up on the hammer strut bearing to compress the spring while you drop in the pin. It is detailed in many of my detail stripping or LEM conversion guides.
    No.body likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ESR View Post
    You cannot do the job with your fingers.
    Um... Yes I can.

ESR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well, it does take a brute to compress the spring that's certain. It is how to compress this to near maximum with only 2 hands? You will launch the spring base and hammer spring and lose the crosspin if you are pushing on it with a punch. Hand #3 has keep the assembly in the gun. Hand #4 has to put in the cross pin. Time to try out a lighter hammer spring. I'm sure that there is some clever tool that does this job, which is easy on a full size HK45. A holding fixture of some kind would be helpful for lever assembly also. There is also an issue with the bottom of the strut getting caught inside the spring. A bit of rounding at the end of the strut is very helpful.

-ESR

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well, it does take a brute to compress the spring that's certain. It is how to compress this to near maximum with only 2 hands? You will launch the spring base and hammer spring and lose the crosspin if you are pushing on it with a punch. Hand #3 has keep the assembly in the gun. Hand #4 has to put in the cross pin. Time to try out a lighter hammer spring. I'm sure that there is some clever tool that does this job, which is easy on a full size HK45. A holding fixture of some kind would be helpful for lever assembly also. There is also an issue with the bottom of the strut getting caught inside the spring. A bit of rounding at the end of the strut is very helpful.

-ESR
    This is where a good gun vise comes in.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

-ESR
    Lay the frame on its right side. Insert the hammer strut bearing and line up the spring inside the cavity on the bearing, then line the bearing with the frame. With the butt of a punch against the bearing, push up on the punch while holding the pin in the other hand (thumb + index fingers). Line up the holes and drop in the pin.

I've done it more than a dozen times and I only have 2 hands lol

See step 13 in this P30 LEM Conversion.
    Last edited by TooSixy; 01-28-2019 at 06:51 PM.

bp1
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Deleted.
    My attempt at humor may not have been appropriate. Hoping the OP finds a method that works well.
    Last edited by bp1; 01-29-2019 at 03:29 PM.

bp1
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

More kidding.
    Deleted.
    Last edited by bp1; 01-29-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I haven't seen anyone mention to make sure the hammer is not cocked. This will decrease the amount of pressure needed to compress the spring. This makes a wold of difference, however it is still possible with the hammer cocked.
    bp1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links