Sight adjustment / position off-center - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sight adjustment / position off-center

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Meho1277 View Post
    I am cross eye dominant( right handed, left eye dominant), I shoot with both eyes open, i have pushed all of my rear sights, right of center, on all of my handguns, to keep POI on center. Moral of the story, i wouldn't worry where the rear sight has to be for your POA and POI to be the same.
    Do what needs to be done so it works for you.
    Same here. Left Eye, Right Hand. Other shooters have even commented on it, or asked me about it when they've seen me shooting, or lining up sights when I'm fondling guns at the counters. Also yes, both eyes open, that's how I was taught that you're supposed to, so that you not only keep both eyes using depth perception, but also to have a wider FoV of what's going on, outside the sight picture.
    Please don't take this as me arguing what you had said about drifting the rear sight to compensate for it, because I'm not. Believe me, I'm not. Only that in a case of people like myself who train to shoot both hands, who have the problem with the dominance induced perception, it ends up causing more problems with PoA, because of the eye dominance/depth perception shifts. (Having bad eyes sucks!)

I do also highly agree, that different ammo can shoot entirely different from gun to gun. If you're going to be maximizing your PoA to PoI, you need to do so with one type of ammo, and then stick mainly To THAT ammo. IF you are focusing mainly on scores, or points, or the size of your groups.

I do also agree that I don't like the euro type of aiming, when I'm shooting for groups. I've used sight picture 1 for most of my life. Covering up my target and not being able to see it when I'm easing the trigger isn't natural for me.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf View Post
    I am cross eye dominant( right handed, left eye dominant), I shoot with both eyes open, i have pushed all of my rear sights, right of center, on all of my handguns, to keep POI on center. Moral of the story, i wouldn't worry where the rear sight has to be for your POA and POI to be the same.
    Do what needs to be done so it works for you.
    Same here. Left Eye, Right Hand. Other shooters have even commented on it, or asked me about it when they've seen me shooting, or lining up sights when I'm fondling guns at the counters. Also yes, both eyes open, that's how I was taught that you're supposed to, so that you not only keep both eyes using depth perception, but also to have a wider FoV of what's going on, outside the sight picture.
    Please don't take this as me arguing what you had said about drifting the rear sight to compensate for it, because I'm not. Believe me, I'm not. Only that in a case of people like myself who train to shoot both hands, who have the problem with the dominance induced perception, it ends up causing more problems with PoA, because of the eye dominance/depth perception shifts. (Having bad eyes sucks!)

I do also highly agree, that different ammo can shoot entirely different from gun to gun. If you're going to be maximizing your PoA to PoI, you need to do so with one type of ammo, and then stick mainly To THAT ammo. IF you are focusing mainly on scores, or points, or the size of your groups.

I do also agree that I don't like the euro type of aiming, when I'm shooting for groups. I've used sight picture 1 for most of my life. Covering up my target and not being able to see it when I'm easing the trigger isn't natural for me.
    Lol, there is no arguing here, we are all friends here with a common obsession.😎 Glad to meet another crosss eyed......lol, no two eyes are created egual, not even the two that we were all born with. It's all about pounting a tube at something, then propelling a projectile out of said tube, and hitting what you pointed at.
    So, if said person has to drft rear sight, left/right of center, to accomplish that, thats just the way that it has to be. Like i said, all of my handguns have the rear sight just right of center for my POA/POI to be the same. Now someone else, might shoot one of my guns, and be off target, If thats what someone needs to be do to be on target, do it.
    Left: hk vp9sk
    Right: Walther CCP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sight adjustment / position off-center-20190127_080030_1548594084459.jpg   Sight adjustment / position off-center-20190127_085307_1548597243863.jpg  
    Last edited by Meho1277; 01-27-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
    DarkeWolf likes this.

bp1
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

@Meho1277 @DarkeWolf
    Interesting. I am generally right - handed, definitely left - eye dominant. I do many things LH, so I recently switched pistol to shooting LH, using left eye.
    I like shooting both eyes open, as well. My deer hunting setup is a 1x Aimpoint 2000 red dot, atop a Remington 870 (shooting RH). My right eye sees the dot on the target through the scope and my left eye sees everything in front of me.

Pistol shooting always felt odd. Before knowing anything about eye dominance I had been shooting RH, lining up the sights with my left eye, not realizing it. Using my left hand, when I bring the pistol up and drive it to the target, it is lined up with my left eye.

Are you saying that you are not really using one eye or the other? Or, using RH, right eye, but seeing more of everything with the left eye?
    DarkeWolf likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bp1 View Post
    @Meho1277 @DarkeWolf
    Interesting. I am generally right - handed, definitely left - eye dominant. I do many things LH, so I recently switched pistol to shooting LH, using left eye.
    I like shooting both eyes open, as well. My deer hunting setup is a 1x Aimpoint 2000 red dot, atop a Remington 870 (shooting RH). My right eye sees the dot on the target through the scope and my left eye sees everything in front of me.

Pistol shooting always felt odd. Before knowing anything about eye dominance I had been shooting RH, lining up the sights with my left eye, not realizing it. Using my left hand, when I bring the pistol up and drive it to the target, it is lined up with my left eye.

Are you saying that you are not really using one eye or the other? Or, using RH, right eye, but seeing more of everything with the left eye?
    I recently (like last week) had an eye opening conversation (no pun intended) with scott harris of SSP eyewear about top focal eyewear and cross eye dominant shooters. Even though you shoot with both eyes open, and move the weapon over to the left to line up the sights, the overwhelming majority of cross eye dominant shooters, still unconsciously tilt their head the last 10% to line up the sights. I am not saying ALL crosseye dominant shooters do this, but the overwhelming majority do, as it is subconsciously unnatural to be right handed/left eye dominant or vise versa.Now, I have to take scott harris's word for it, as i am not in the shooting eyewear business, and I can only assume that they have done the study. With that being said, drifting the rear sight slightly to the right, to overcome my own, subconscious short comings, is what I have to do to get POA/POI right. All of the handguns that i have ever purchased, have shot to the left for me, so I'm quite sure that all of them were not manufactured like that......so the common denominator.......is me. Smh🧐🧐🧐🤔🤔&# x1f914;🤔
    I realize people will mention grip and finger position, both important in shooting well, and are easily observed and corrected, your eyesight is not so easy to self diagnose and correct.
    So when everything else seems correct, go ahead and drift the rear sight for your needs. The end result we strive so hard to accomplish is putting a projectile, exactly where we want it to go. Practice, adjust sights, practice some more and most importantly.....have fun.
    Last edited by Meho1277; 01-27-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
    markm and DarkeWolf like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I first received my 45c, the front sight was drifted quite right. Sure enough, it shot way left. Didn't care because I knew I was switching to night sights anyway. Sent my slide to company x, who took almost 5 weeks to return my slide with night sights installed. Front and rear both looked centered. Still shot left, although not quite as bad. I was perplexed. Range masters were telling me it was the shooter, not the gun, even though they refused to shoot it themselves (maybe following rules). I found that hard to believe because I have shot other 45c's with no problem at all. While I was fed up with it shooting left, I also made the determination that I didn't like the company x sights, and decided to go with tried and true (for me) Heinie. So off the slide goes to them. Got the slide back, sights looked centered, and it still shot left. Give me a break. I finally called HK, just to see what they'd say. They had me send them the slide, and when I got it back about a week later, it shot perfectly. I called and talk to the smith and asked him what his magic was. He said no magic at all, that he just made sure it was perfectly centered. Bizarre but true story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So when everything else seems correct, go ahead and drift the rear sight for your needs. The end result we strive so hard to accomplish is putting a projectile, exactly where we want it to go. Practice, adjust sights, practice some more and most importantly.....have fun.
    Amen. Personally I'd rather hit what I was aiming at then to have a good story on why I missed. And if your technique changes over time adjust them again.
    Last edited by markm; 01-28-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Meho - thanks tons for understanding where I was coming from with what I'd said. And I totally agree, we're all just a bunch of people that share common interests! If not always common practices and opinions, tho...where's the fun in that if we did? LOL

HAHAHA Cross eyed! I think you may be coining a new phrase there! :D Also agreed. Shooting somebody else's gun (pistol or rifle) can produce different results, depending on the shooter, and the gun set up. Especially if we're talking scoped weapons!

Now that we've really got me thinking about this, this issue with the depth perception is probably why I have so much trouble using red dot scopes. I can't ever get it to line up and come into focus.

BP- indeed! I've been switching over to a lot more left handed use as well in the last couple of years.

The tilting my head to help line up the sights is probably what people are noticing, when they comment on it or ask.

For me, it depends on what type of shooting I'm doing. Generally, I try to keep the focus of my aim on the target, with the sights just in my FoV for pistols. That's mainly just habitual training tho, because I've trained more recently for combat shooting than target shooting. For close combat shooting, I've got my view focused entirely on target and nearby the target. Bring front sight up in front of it, ease thru the trigger. Or for the fastest response for close range, (not counting draw, and fire straight out of the holster at hip/waist level) it's just bring the weapon up, put the side or top of the barrel over the target, ease the trigger. It's pretty much like when you're doing snap-shots with a shotgun, in principle.

When actually sighting, I do try to use both eyes open looking down both sets of sights, to aim. For pistols, non-scoped. Not really sure how to describe that, really.

But yeah, I have noticed that I do shoot better, more accurately, left handed than right. With pistols. But my draw is nowhere near what I'd want it to be, for carrying on the left side. At least, not with a waist/hip level carry. (Lets just say that I'm still hearing that "click" now and then, or the purchase isn't what I'd like it to be). But shoulder or thigh draw, I'm alright.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links